Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 991 C4 Engine replaced by Porsche with less than 100 miles

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 06:48 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,350 Likes on 760 Posts

I don't want to minimize your issue at all as it sucks big time to have your car have an engine failure and your without your new car for an extended time. But is sure looks to me like Porsche did what it was supposed to and fast which is get you a completely new engine and fast. Asking for some inconvenience compensation is justifiable but trying to rape them for all kinds of benefits does not seem proper. They actually did the right thing. I don't feel this will hurt your resale at all as its a new engine. I'm happy to see they reacted and took care of the issue.

I had a 996TT that had the dreaded "second gear pop out issue". Porsche analyzed the issue in 2 days after confirming the issue and had a new transmission flown over and mine flown back for evaluation and I was back on the road with a new tranny in less than 10 days. Drove the car like I stole it and traded with no issue on trade value.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:57 AM
Tpup
Rennlist Member

Received 317 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
no big deal. It won't impact your resale.

Request a warranty extension and maybe one month of lease payment if you're leasing.
I agree as well. I had my Cayenne engine replaced and had no problem selling it. I would go for CPO and skip cash compensation personally. The warranty down the road would be more valuable to me but I keep cars a while.
Old 02-08-2016, 10:02 AM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Agree on all 3 points.

No big deal. The motor is plug & play.

Ask for a CPO.

Ask for a month's cash payment for lack of use compensation.

I would argue, your car would be worth MORE if Porsche gives you a free CPO.
Fully agree.
Old 02-08-2016, 10:05 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,222 Likes on 739 Posts

You are going to lose on depreciation regardless. Buying this car is not an investment unless you decide to keep it 20+ years, and even that is debatable. Just the name of the game.
Old 02-08-2016, 10:09 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
You are going to lose on depreciation regardless. Buying this car is not an investment unless you decide to keep it 20+ years, and even that is debatable. Just the name of the game.
I predict that Manual, NA/3.8 with least suspension wizardry/electronics will be the most valuable in 20 years.

The PDK and electronics will be laughably antiquated by then and make them less desirable whereas the mechanical and primitively optioned cars will be sought out.
Old 02-08-2016, 10:43 AM
VINK
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

CPO and a nice loaner for the time being. I wouldn't worry about resale value if it's a New Engine replacement done by Porsche.
Old 02-08-2016, 04:40 PM
Bucaro
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The same happened to me at around 1200 miles with my 2016 991 GTS. Porsche replaced the engine in Germany (I was doing ED). They agreed to extend my warranty to 6 yr/100000 miles after I asked them. I thought that was fair. I don't think that if you sell the car in several years it will have depreciated more, since the new engine will have proven itself reliable by then.
Old 02-08-2016, 04:44 PM
Jerry991
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts

Your engine failed with 70 miles on the car and now you will have to do some explaining when you decide to sell the car - I don't know that it is worth the future aggravation. I wonder if a dealer would have to disclose the replacement engine when selling the vehicle - that would certainly make it less marketable and I would let your dealer and Porsche know of your concern.
Old 02-08-2016, 05:40 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

As stated, we are a WHOLE LOTTA decades away from anybody who's shopping for your car on the secondary market knowing or caring whether engine is numbers-matching for collectibility's sake. So your only real concern is this: is your buying pool reduced OR your potential sale price lowered because of it having a new motor?

Tough question. If the car had 20,000 miles when the engine was replaced, I'd say it might make the car marginally MORE valuable, at least to me. I'd know it wasn't being bought as a classic survivor type car, so I'd only care about longevity while I had it. Knowing my engine had 20,000 fewer miles on it than the price of the car would suggest would make me glad to buy it.

But since I would be considering this car vs. other 2016 models at the same price, and their only disadvantage was they had 70 more miles on the engine, and your disadvantage was that it wasn't with the engine it left the factory with, I'd give a nod to a very similar car that was still on Engine No. 1.

I'd expect to get yours for a couple thousand less, all else being equal. Not a game changer, not a "salvage title" type discount, but a little something for giving up the originality.
Old 02-08-2016, 06:58 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

All depends on how good of a job the dealer does. I've stated this many times. Quality control at the manufacturer out weighs dealer techs by a good margin. That said! Some techs are much better adapt than others and if you decide to go with the engine replacement make sure you get the ace tech in the shop to do the work. Depending on how busy they are they may decide to funnel the job to someone less experienced. So if you go that route interview the tech and make sure the service advisor puts there top tech on the job. It will make all the difference.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:34 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,267 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by VINK
CPO and a nice loaner for the time being. I wouldn't worry about resale value if it's a New Engine replacement done by Porsche.

Is the engine really being replaced by Porsche? I think not. It's being replaced by a franchise owned US business that has techs trained to meet some Porsche standard. It's not the same. The car will have less value to an informed critical buyer.

Originally Posted by Bucaro
The same happened to me at around 1200 miles with my 2016 991 GTS. Porsche replaced the engine in Germany (I was doing ED). They agreed to extend my warranty to 6 yr/100000 miles after I asked them. I thought that was fair. I don't think that if you sell the car in several years it will have depreciated more, since the new engine will have proven itself reliable by then.

Can you expand on your experience? Did the engine failure significantly impact your ED itinerary and did Porsche compensate you for your inconvenience? I did an ED a couple years ago and this scenario would have been a nightmare for me. I plan to do another one in a couple years.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:31 PM
VINK
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
Is the engine really being replaced by Porsche? I think not. It's being replaced by a franchise owned US business that has techs trained to meet some Porsche standard. It's not the same
You have a point and it did cross my mind. Factory built/installed is totally different than work done by a tech at a dealership but lets take a scenario where there's no catastrophic engine failure but a smaller engine problem? If OP has even a slight chance of getting a new replacement, he should pursue that avenue. If not then only option I see is to have a new engine replacement with some added benefits.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:23 AM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

It's not a Ferrari. You enjoy the thing for a few years, put 50k on the car, sell it for maybe $30k if you're lucky. Nobody is going to give half a **** if the engine was replaced.
Old 02-09-2016, 01:43 AM
uberspeed3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
As stated, we are a WHOLE LOTTA decades away from anybody who's shopping for your car on the secondary market knowing or caring whether engine is numbers-matching for collectibility's sake. So your only real concern is this: is your buying pool reduced OR your potential sale price lowered because of it having a new motor?

Tough question. If the car had 20,000 miles when the engine was replaced, I'd say it might make the car marginally MORE valuable, at least to me. I'd know it wasn't being bought as a classic survivor type car, so I'd only care about longevity while I had it. Knowing my engine had 20,000 fewer miles on it than the price of the car would suggest would make me glad to buy it.

But since I would be considering this car vs. other 2016 models at the same price, and their only disadvantage was they had 70 more miles on the engine, and your disadvantage was that it wasn't with the engine it left the factory with, I'd give a nod to a very similar car that was still on Engine No. 1.

I'd expect to get yours for a couple thousand less, all else being equal. Not a game changer, not a "salvage title" type discount, but a little something for giving up the originality.
As a future buyer I must agree with this perspective. When I go to buy my 911 I won't care that much about matching numbers. I'd actually consider it a bonus to get a motor with less mileage. That said there should be a (smallish?) hit for non matching numbers.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:03 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

If they gave you a service loaner, then you really don't have much to argue with for loss of use. I agree that it shouldn't adversely affect resale. However, if the experience has soured you on the car, I think the dealership should step-up and do something to replace it. It never hurts to ask, and if you bought your GT3 from them, then they should consider you a good repeat customer and make an effort.

Quick Reply: 2015 991 C4 Engine replaced by Porsche with less than 100 miles