Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Home air pump?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 07:09 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,133 Likes on 682 Posts

I have 5 air compressors I have accumulated over the years. For a plug in, I am blown away by the quietness (60 DB) of the California Air Tools 1hp I just bought. All of the others (3 Craftsman, a Porter Cable and a Tradesman) are so loud you need hearing protection when using them. I'm probably going to buy a 2nd CAT for the barn; I have the 6310. $199 on Amazon. No idea how they make it so quiet or why the others are so loud.
Old 02-06-2016, 08:21 AM
Jay-S
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by trucheli
I have been using Porter Cable air compressor for years. Strong enough to use with air tools.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Porter-Ca...2002/203162815
+1
Old 02-06-2016, 09:49 AM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Keadog
I have 5 air compressors I have accumulated over the years. For a plug in, I am blown away by the quietness (60 DB) of the California Air Tools 1hp I just bought. All of the others (3 Craftsman, a Porter Cable and a Tradesman) are so loud you need hearing protection when using them. I'm probably going to buy a 2nd CAT for the barn; I have the 6310. $199 on Amazon. No idea how they make it so quiet or why the others are so loud.
+2 (I have two of these)
Old 02-06-2016, 11:08 AM
One N Done
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

2nd the Kobalt. Great inflator, inexpensive, & on board guage is pretty good (consistent offset to external guage).
Also it can be used in 12v / 120v mode.
Old 02-06-2016, 11:49 AM
blschaefer1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently picked up this unit from Home Depot. $169.00, 4.6gals and VERY QUIET. I had a pancake before and it would make my ears bleed.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-4-6...610A/205532432

While we are on the subject, I also recently picked up this digital gauge / tire inflator. This, plus some quick releases and the compressor above make dialing in perfect tire pressures a snap.

Amazon.com: Astro 3018 3-1/2-Inch Digital Tire Inflator with Stainless Steel Braided Hose: Automotive Amazon.com: Astro 3018 3-1/2-Inch Digital Tire Inflator with Stainless Steel Braided Hose: Automotive
Old 02-06-2016, 02:34 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Picked up a 120 volt Husky from Home Depot for $29.99. Great little pump for the garage. If you don't have a pump currently why don't you use the pump that porsche provided with the spare?
Old 02-06-2016, 02:46 PM
coreyco
Intermediate

Can anyone comment regarding rate of inflation regarding any of these units? I was reading Amazon reviews, and one comment reported to expect a 3 minute inflate time from flat to 30 lb pressure. Maybe I'm spoiled by gas station air fill rates, but does any consumer oriented product come close?
Old 02-06-2016, 06:42 PM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

This is a gallons issue. Your compressor will give you good high pressure for about the first third of the tank. So a 3 gallon tank will quickly give you 1 gallon at high pressure. After that it has to pump the pressure in the tank back to a good level.

The issue here is how many gallons it takes to fill your car. I've never done the math or looked this up, but for arguement's sake let's say it needs 2 gallons, and you have a 3 gallon tank on your pump.

Issue number one, is your tank already pressurized? If you use it a lot, as in several times a day, then maybe yes. If not, then it should be stored empty. So first off you must fill the tank, that would take a solid 60 to 120 seconds depending on the power of the pump, let's say your pump took 90 seconds (roughly 30 seconds per gallon).

Then when you fill your tire you get 1 gallon pretty quick and your tire is half full. At this point the pump kicks in and it's trying to fill 2 gallons (1 gallon from the pump tank, and 1 gallon for what's needed to finish off your tire). If you sit there and keep the nozzle connected to the tire, the pump will need close to 60 seconds to fill both the tire and the tank.

A giant 80 gallon shop compressor would be like the gas station, the entire 2 gallons would be filled in a matter of seconds. This is the difference between a large expensive loud compressor and a small cheap possibly quieter compressor - convenience.

Of course you could get a large quiet screw based pump, that will run you about the price of a track ready used Miata
Old 02-06-2016, 06:46 PM
coreyco
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jabs1542
This is a gallons issue. Your compressor will give you good high pressure for about the first third of the tank. So a 3 gallon tank will quickly give you 1 gallon at high pressure. After that it has to pump the pressure in the tank back to a good level.

The issue here is how many gallons it takes to fill your car. I've never done the math or looked this up, but for arguement's sake let's say it needs 2 gallons, and you have a 3 gallon tank on your pump.

Issue number one, is your tank already pressurized? If you use it a lot, as in several times a day, then maybe yes. If not, then it should be stored empty. So first off you must fill the tank, that would take a solid 60 to 120 seconds depending on the power of the pump, let's say your pump took 90 seconds (roughly 30 seconds per gallon).

Then when you fill your tire you get 1 gallon pretty quick and your tire is half full. At this point the pump kicks in and it's trying to fill 2 gallons (1 gallon from the pump tank, and 1 gallon for what's needed to finish off your tire). If you sit there and keep the nozzle connected to the tire, the pump will need close to 60 seconds to fill both the tire and the tank.

A giant 80 gallon shop compressor would be like the gas station, the entire 2 gallons would be filled in a matter of seconds. This is the difference between a large expensive loud compressor and a small cheap possibly quieter compressor - convenience.
Thanks Jay. A well reasoned and clear explanation.
Old 02-06-2016, 06:48 PM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

I have a machine shop in my sub-basement (yet another hobby) and I was forced to learn way more about pumps than I ever knew existed.
Old 02-06-2016, 08:21 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 707 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by rxtrom
Those of you with the Viair, do you use the Porsche cigarette lighter? What do you use as a power source?
Amazon.com: Viair 00073 70P Heavy Duty Portable Compressor: Automotive Amazon.com: Viair 00073 70P Heavy Duty Portable Compressor: Automotive

I have the Viair 70P and use the cigarette lighter as the power source with the engine running. I use it for all my vehicles and it works fine.
Old 02-06-2016, 08:39 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,133 Likes on 682 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabs1542

Of course you could get a large quiet screw based pump, that will run you about the price of a track ready used Miata
And I don't care how long it runs if I can talk to my wife and it doesn't make my ears ring even more while it's running. I'm ready to ditch all my other compressors.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:03 PM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Keadog
And I don't care how long it runs if I can talk to my wife and it doesn't make my ears ring even more while it's running. I'm ready to ditch all my other compressors.
You should check out the California Air Tools compressor that Keadog mentioned, this is what I have in my sub-basement shop (where loud is not good). Not too expensive and much quieter than anything you'll find at Home Depot, I think you can get it through Amazon.

Just found it, here's the one you want:
Amazon.com: California Air Tools CAT-4620A Ultra Quiet and Oil-Free 2.0 Hp 4.6-Gallon Aluminum Twin Tank Air Compressor: Home Improvement Amazon.com: California Air Tools CAT-4620A Ultra Quiet and Oil-Free 2.0 Hp 4.6-Gallon Aluminum Twin Tank Air Compressor: Home Improvement
Old 02-06-2016, 09:32 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 332 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurricane
Amazon.com: Viair 00073 70P Heavy Duty Portable Compressor: Automotive

I have the Viair 70P and use the cigarette lighter as the power source with the engine running. I use it for all my vehicles and it works fine.
Just got this unit from Amazon this week, glad to hear it works well. I needed something portable for refilling my tires after track days and based on reviews looks like it should do the job.
Old 02-06-2016, 10:21 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 707 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by Vise
Just got this unit from Amazon this week, glad to hear it works well. I needed something portable for refilling my tires after track days and based on reviews looks like it should do the job.
I have been using it for about 18 months. I fill up the tires on my 911S, a full sized SUV (Yukon XL Denali) and a mid-sized SUV (Infiniti FX35) and it has worked very well. I had a Goodyear-branded one before that I used for years but it essentially fell apart. This one seems better built.

PS - love your 911, it has to be one of my favorite builds I have ever seen on here! Love that color!

Quick Reply: Home air pump?