Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wanted - 991 Roof Rack

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 09:55 AM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 543 Likes on 234 Posts

Just a bump in the event a 991 owner has one for sale...
Old 05-08-2016, 10:29 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,194 Likes on 717 Posts

Try this? Not sure if it has been sold or not.

https://rennlist.com/forums/parts-ma...roof-rack.html
Old 05-08-2016, 11:13 AM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 543 Likes on 234 Posts

Yes, tried him and no response so probably sold.
Old 09-06-2016, 02:55 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Joec500
Yes...anything with a t-bar attachment slides into the slots on the bar. Make sure to search for "euro mount" for European OEM roof racks. I cross shopped both Yakima and Thule, but the Rocky Mounts fit my bill much better. Especially with color choices!

Hope this is helpful.
How are you guys mounting directly to the OEM bars? Thule products, unless I ordered wrong, include an adapter that adds flat bars on top of the OEM bars onto which the Thule's mount. This is unattractive and overly complex, but sadly even the stock mounts for the Thule bike carrier don't directly fit the wide cross bars of the OEM RTS - miss by a 1/4 inch which I am hoping to rectify with some custom M6x100mm bolts

Incidentally - I didn't go with the Rocky mounts as I don't want fork mounts for my carbon dropouts.

Last edited by Chris C.; 09-06-2016 at 01:57 PM.
Old 09-06-2016, 02:57 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Key Left
Just carefully lift up the rubber channel between the inner roof panel and the outer roof rim. There you should find two hinged tabs that swing up to accept the roof rack mounting points.
What did you do with the rubber channel covers? DId you cut them? I'd like to be able to take the RTS off and have a factory look so don't want to cut them to work around the mounts...
Old 09-06-2016, 12:42 PM
ArthurVandalay
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't cut the rubber strip. Fold it into the rack tower cover, close the cover, and lock it.

http://www.porscheownersmanuals.com/...carrera/6/182/

F in the pic is the rubber seal

Old 09-06-2016, 12:55 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Thanks Arthur - that means though that if you use your racks installed for long periods of time (as I will) that area is open for dirt and water to enter. Is that an issue?

My thought was to purchase a second piece of seal and route the original one as shown but cut the second to fill in the gaps.
Old 09-06-2016, 01:27 PM
ArthurVandalay
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have a great idea with the second piece. Can't hurt. My plan is to take skiing this year Im confident the design is pretty dirt/water proof. Have not used the rack yet except to do an install and removal trial run. Really well designed system. Way better than any Thule/Yakima/factory rack I've ever installed.

Off topic- did I see you driving in SOMA (2nd st) last week? We used to live 1st/Harrison. Visiting last week. Miss it but don't. Denver is CLEAN and easy. Cheers
Old 09-06-2016, 02:00 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ArthurVandalay
You have a great idea with the second piece. Can't hurt. My plan is to take skiing this year Im confident the design is pretty dirt/water proof. Have not used the rack yet except to do an install and removal trial run. Really well designed system. Way better than any Thule/Yakima/factory rack I've ever installed.

Off topic- did I see you driving in SOMA (2nd st) last week? We used to live 1st/Harrison. Visiting last week. Miss it but don't. Denver is CLEAN and easy. Cheers
Yes the RTS is indeed a nice piece, just wish Thule and Yakima fit them.

Yes that was likely me in and around SOMA! I agree with your choice - SF's bloat and crazy political world is killing the city now, homelessness out of control, no housing on the horizon and local Supervisors calling for more taxes cause obviously the city doesn't have enough revenue ? Rant off. Enjoy Denver, great city!

Quick Reply: Wanted - 991 Roof Rack