Sponsored by:

AWD info

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 12:52 PM
Chubby Racer
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AWD info

Trying to choose between a 4 or not, but would like some info on how the system works. I've picked up bits and bobs about the car being 100% RWD to start, and only engaging the front axle slowly, but I'd like some technical info. Anyone have a link?
Old 01-14-2016, 01:21 PM
9914s
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 145 Posts

Old 01-14-2016, 01:38 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 857 Likes on 432 Posts

Where do you live? Do you have winter? lots of rain?

I like the 4 but can't really tell you how it all works. It's different that the Audi Quattro systems I've familiar with.

It is true that normal driving the rear is driven with 90-100%. A sporty take off might get 50f/50r, twisty roads 25f/75r.

There is a little torque split indicator in the MFD changes constantly depending on input from your right foot.

I thought there was a Porsche video somewhere on the net that explained the system in detail but I can't seem to locate.
Old 01-14-2016, 02:21 PM
911sccab
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

This might sound like a cliché, but it drives like a RWD car until RWD just can't get it done, then the fronts pull through.
Old 01-14-2016, 02:37 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

At a high-level, the following video will answer many questions. I have a '14 C4S, and I have to tell you honestly that in constantly changing and unpredictable road conditions (and surfaces!) here in Pennsylvania, I wouldn't ever want to go back to a RWD! Over the past 2 years, I've driven in almost every condition you can imagine, from 100+ degree scorchers, monsoons, sheer ice, 5-6" of snow, loose gravel, etc. Of course, I make sure to change-out my tires with the season. I find the car to handle extremely well in all conditions, with sure-footedness and confidence. Oh, and doesn't hurt that I've been through a few driver trainings over the years....

Hope this helps... ( a bit of dramatic salesware, you have to skip to mid-point in the video to get to the "technical" explanation)

Old 01-14-2016, 05:32 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,351 Likes on 761 Posts

Like Plenum I am on my 5th awd Porsche. 4 previous Porsche TT's and now the 4S. I too drive the twisty sometime inconsistent surface roads of Pa and love the grip and overall handling of the 4wd.
I don't winter drive my car but still choose the awd. Plus you get the big butt wide body look with the awd. And who doesn't like the the look of a well maintained big rear end.
Old 01-14-2016, 05:46 PM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Received 4,386 Likes on 1,539 Posts

So many of you guys miss the point of the Porsche AWD system. You think its for snow and bad weather but, its not. It's for dive-bombing corners and accelerating out of them in a way no 2WD car can do. Most of you guys will never drive that hard, but when you put a set of sticky R-Comps or race slicks on a 4S and get those tires hot, the grip accelerating out of a corner is nothing short of mind-blowing.

One of my favorite tricks with my 993 C4S was to take fellow instructors for a hot lap at VIR with sticky tires and go screaming through Hog Pen, which has a high pucker factor and watch them start talking to Jesus, then laugh hilariously when we got on the main straight.
Old 01-14-2016, 05:49 PM
Chubby Racer
Advanced

I'm in Houston so all we get is a lot of water. That said, my very first trackday ever was in a RWD car with no TC...in the rain. So I certainly won't let the wet stop me. It was for this reason I was thinking AWD.

EDIT: well that, and the aforementioned sexy birthing hips.
Old 01-14-2016, 06:12 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
So many of you guys miss the point of the Porsche AWD system. You think its for snow and bad weather but, its not. It's for dive-bombing corners and accelerating out of them in a way no 2WD car can do. Most of you guys will never drive that hard, but when you put a set of sticky R-Comps or race slicks on a 4S and get those tires hot, the grip accelerating out of a corner is nothing short of mind-blowing.

One of my favorite tricks with my 993 C4S was to take fellow instructors for a hot lap at VIR with sticky tires and go screaming through Hog Pen, which has a high pucker factor and watch them start talking to Jesus, then laugh hilariously when we got on the main straight.
Yeah, I don't disagree with you here... I mean, the sales pitch for the AWD system not only by Porsche but other makers tends to focus on the road condition benefits. Take that video for example I posted ^^. Porsche can't help but show snow, rain, slick roads and all that. But if you actually listen to what they are saying about the "intelligence" of their system, makes more sense aligned with road grip / cornering.

And actually while I don't get out on tracks much nowadays, this is my DD, and I do have an enormous amount of appreciation for the handling on the smooth-surfaced twisty roads around where i live.... But throw a dusting of snow and ice down on the road, and I feel just as confident and happy knowing that the fronts are throwing-down some added traction for me.
Old 01-14-2016, 07:14 PM
chio4
Instructor

I just like the bigger HIPS!!!
Old 01-15-2016, 01:05 AM
Key Left
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie

Slicks are a definite no no for 991's. Just read page 3 of your owners manual...warranty voided with their use. Carreras just not really racing cars, so avoid those situations.
Old 01-15-2016, 10:02 AM
Mlbraptor
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are there any advantages to non-awd 991 ?
Old 01-15-2016, 10:11 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,296 Likes on 1,050 Posts

Originally Posted by Mlbraptor
Are there any advantages to non-awd 991 ?

I can think of a few:
1. Costs $6,900 less
2. Weighs 110 pounds less
3. Less things to break and maintain.

Last edited by subshooter; 01-15-2016 at 10:37 AM.
Old 01-15-2016, 10:12 AM
Slantnose!
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Less weight and supposedly better feel...
...personally, I like the AWD's looks and handling more.
Old 01-15-2016, 10:28 AM
Key Left
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

AWD requires the wide body variant and more costly replacement tires. This body also makes the car look shorter and heavier to the eye.

Quick Reply: AWD info