Delivery day dilemma - Input appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 07:36 AM
roadwellheeled
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Delivery day dilemma - Input appreciated

Forum,

I am 2 days away from taking delivery of my 991.1 GTS and was informed by my salesperson that the front chin spoiler, that apparently does not come attached to the car, has a crack in it and it is being replaced. What to do here?
Having had a polyurethane front bumper repainted in another car about 20 years ago, it was not long before pitting and peeling of the paint occurred from the impact of bugs, sand, etc on the repainted surface.

My question for the board: Should I ask that the new chin spoiler come from the factory rather than accepting a primered replacement part to be painted by the dealer? Also, any thoughts on paint matching as my car is GT Silver metallic?

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts and experiences.

Todd
Old 01-14-2016, 08:00 AM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

I wouldn't sweat it. Have the dealer paint it. You always have final approval. I had mine painted afterwards and it worked out perfectly.

Old 01-14-2016, 08:07 AM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

"...that the front chin spoiler, that apparently does not come attached to the car, has a crack in it and it is being replaced." This comment leads me to believe you are referring to the strip along the bottom front-edge of the bumper cover? If so like BradB said, don't sweat it at all, as that part is a throw-away that is easily replaced by the dealer. It is about $198 US from Suncoast, snaps on and some owners have had theirs fall-off if not installed firmly. And, it is not painted from factory - comes in black. If you had it painted from factory to match body, the dealer will have to have it painted but again this is not the same as have the entire front bumper cover damaged and repainted. In either case, just be thorough in your inspection details when taking delivery, and refuse the keys until everything is exactly how you'd expect it.
Old 01-14-2016, 08:49 AM
studlee
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I feel your dilemma, i would see if dealer can get a factory painted one. maybe buy a black one for now while u wait for the factory painted one.
Old 01-14-2016, 09:11 AM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 86 Posts

You should ask to see the broken part that got replaced. I'm always wary of delay tactics, sorry but I have good reason for my paranoia.
Old 01-14-2016, 09:16 AM
Duke I
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I think the painting will likely be done by a local Porsche approved body shop. Should be fine and warrantied.

It would be worth asking if the crack was caused by a shipping or other mishap and whether there is other damage.
Old 01-14-2016, 09:30 AM
holgum
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I wouldn't worry either. You might even find you prefer it black when you see how it looks after a year of catching rocks, tar, bugs, curbs, etc.
Old 01-14-2016, 09:48 AM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have them take a pic of the damage before repair.
Old 01-14-2016, 09:55 AM
Ørjan
Instructor

Received 141 Likes on 58 Posts

Don't worry about it - let the dealer paint and fit the new chin spoiler, if you're not happy with the result, then have them fix it again.

Originally Posted by roadwellheeled
Having had a polyurethane front bumper repainted in another car about 20 years ago, it was not long before pitting and peeling of the paint occurred from the impact of bugs, sand, etc on the repainted surface.
Hopefully paint technology (and painters) have come a long way since 1996
Old 01-14-2016, 10:40 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

I have a different perspective. I am very impressed with the integrity of your dealer. State laws vary but most have the following disclosure requirements for new cars:

1.Dealers are not required to disclose any damage to glass, tires or bumpers if the damaged item has been replaced with original or comparable equipment.

2.If a new car has been repaired for damages that do not exceed five percent of the manufacturer’s suggested retail price, then the dealer does not have to tell you about the damage unless you ask.

Your dealer was not legally required to disclose this insignificant repair, and I expect that most dealers wouldn't. Moreover, there's virtually a zero chance that anyone would have been able to detect that a spoiler was replaced on a new car.
Old 01-14-2016, 10:59 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Don't worry about it. It will be fine. Most all Porsche dealerships do not have a paint shop. Your part will be sent out. I'm sure they know of a quality place. Good on them for being up-front and transparent.
Old 01-14-2016, 11:06 AM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 51 Posts

When I took delivery of my car (CPO) the lip had a chip in it, which the dealership agreed to repaint and rewrap. (My car has the exterior painted package, so the lip was painted Guards Red.)

I had the work done - the part was painted on its own, fitted to the car and rewrapped.
It's not a big deal as it's easily removable and a cheap part by Porsche standards.

That said, I think I'd rather have the default black rubber lip anyway as this part seems to take a lot of abuse.
Old 01-14-2016, 11:17 AM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 133 Posts

You didn't mention the dealership. If it's Prestige I wouldn't worry. They have one of the best body/paint shops in the state. They repair new Ferraris and Bentleys.
Old 01-14-2016, 11:47 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

You'll end up replacing the piece at some point anyway with the inevitable scrapes. Just happened sooner than later. No big deal. I'd even have them paint a second one as a backup while they're at it.

This is nothing to worry about. Enjoy your new car delivery! Things could be MUCH worse.
Old 01-14-2016, 11:57 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,428 Likes on 2,241 Posts

Originally Posted by STG991
You'll end up replacing the piece at some point anyway with the inevitable scrapes. Just happened sooner than later. No big deal. I'd even have them paint a second one as a backup while they're at it.

This is nothing to worry about. Enjoy your new car delivery! Things could be MUCH worse.
+1!

I got two extra ones painted by a local Porsche approved repair shop ...

perfect match ... dont sweat it

Quick Reply: Delivery day dilemma - Input appreciated