Sponsored by:

Heater quit working - again

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 12:58 PM
GTW4CG
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Heater quit working - again

I have a 2015 991 C4. Back in November, the passenger side heater quit working, and was only blowing cold air. The warranty repair was to replace the actuator for the shut off valve for the heat exchanger. Yesterday, the passenger side heater quit working again. Anybody else having this issue?
Old 01-10-2016, 01:23 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 239 Posts

I have not had this issue precisely. I have lost heat and only cold air was blowing through both vents and it was a failed change over valve.
Old 01-10-2016, 01:35 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Yeah, this is almost typically a COV failure. Even if you don't get any warning messages from the controller. I wasn't aware, however, that there was any COV separating driver and passenger side venting -- usually a failed COV results in NO warm/hot air coming through the exchanger, not one side or the other. So maybe you have a separate issue.... FWIW, I've had the 'no heat' COV failure twice since taking delivery of my C4S. Just recently my heat stopped again, and blowing cold air only. I was preparing to tackle my own DIY COV change-out (because I believe that if the issue is that moisture is getting into the COV which causes failure perhaps I can hack a moisture shield or something to stop that from happening!) when started the car up one morning and the heat was back!

All warranty work, I would assume, so you shouldn't be worried about anything. I'm not sweating-it. But I would also assume that as 991 owners have their warranty run-out, this will be an issue for future. if I ever do a DIY on COV replacement, I'll document it and post.

Keep us posted. Thanks!
Old 01-10-2016, 01:53 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by plenum
Just recently my heat stopped again, and blowing cold air only. I was preparing to tackle my own DIY COV change-out (because I believe that if the issue is that moisture is getting into the COV which causes failure perhaps I can hack a moisture shield or something to stop that from happening!) when started the car up one morning and the heat was back!
Interesting, I thought I was going crazy when I drove from TN to PA over the holidays in a cold rain and I could not get any heat until I turned the system off, waited a few minutes and then turned the system back on. I was and still thinking the car was just confused ..... since then it's been working fine.

I also had the one valve replaced when the heat totally quit early on in my ownership and luckily still have around 60K warranty left.
Old 01-10-2016, 03:37 PM
GTW4CG
Advanced

Thanks for the replies, Guys. Now you have me thinking about a moisture issue. I washed the car yesterday, and last night when we went to the gym, there was no heat on the passenger side. We'll see what the dealer finds in a few days.
Old 01-10-2016, 03:50 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

FYI, a while back there was a SB (that at the time was stated for 2012 991 builds only) for the COV issue. Most 991 owners found that although there hasn't been a SB, recall or any other campaign since, the problem is well known within the owner and service communities. So, telling your SA about your problem will get it fixed but won't be permanent resolution in my personal experience. The part is very cheap for Porsche, and not labor-intensive to replace. So cheaper to replace as needed rather than start a recall campaign. Some 991 owners never have the problem.... However, like I stated previously, it will be interesting to see what happens once many of the earlier 991's start falling-off warranty.

Here is a copy of the NHSTA SB (not stating this is the exact issue here, or in anyone's case -- but interesting that this is a persistent complaint):

Old 01-10-2016, 04:43 PM
mtony
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Does anyone know the location of the heater COV?
Old 01-10-2016, 06:20 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mtony
Does anyone know the location of the heater COV?
In the engine bay...

Here's a cap of the location as illustrated in the official Vacuum / COV WM. #3 in the illustration. Not the greatest I know....

You can see the other COV locations.....
Old 01-10-2016, 06:34 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 400 Posts

When I had my car opened up for the 40K service I believe they are all pretty easy to get to except for #7 in your diagram possibly. At $30-40 each if I have to have another one replaced I might do them all with whatever the most current valve is on the market at the time.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:27 PM
mtony
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by plenum
In the engine bay...

Here's a cap of the location as illustrated in the official Vacuum / COV WM. #3 in the illustration. Not the greatest I know....

You can see the other COV locations.....
Thanks! Might come in handy once I'm out of warranty. Any idea which one is for the PDK clutch? I once had a transmission warning pop up while driving in pouring rain. Now I avoid driving it in the rain!
Old 01-11-2016, 07:59 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 239 Posts

Here is the COV diagram and positioning.

Old 01-12-2016, 12:45 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

My heater failed and it was related to the COV problem...it was fixed well over a year ago and I haven't had a problem since (going on winter #2 since the fix).
Old 01-12-2016, 06:51 PM
GordyRay
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 2014 C4S, just had the COV replaced last Friday, no heat when the outside temps were 14F.
Good thing I had gloves to wear when driving, it was cold on a three hour drive.
Cheers,

Last edited by GordyRay; 01-12-2016 at 08:50 PM.
Old 01-12-2016, 07:39 PM
strumbringer
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am having the opposite problem - the driver's side vent blows only (very) hot air. The passenger side seems fine. 2015 here too.
Old 01-14-2016, 04:38 PM
GTW4CG
Advanced

Default Update

Car is at the dealer right now. It is a 35 mile drive to the dealer, and after about 15 miles this morning, the passenger side heat started working again. (Gremlins).

I'll post later what they diagnose.

Quick Reply: Heater quit working - again