Sponsored by:

NEED HELP - Diminished Value

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 09:55 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by EMpunker
...paint damage in the hood and front bumper. ... ended up having the car CPO'd...

Also never buy a CPO'd car!
CPO guidelines are that no more than two panels have been repainted.

Originally Posted by Yard Dog
Insurance companies are in the business to make a profit.
Just to be a pendant: the largest companies (excluding Geico) in this country are mutual insurance companies. This means that they are not in it for profit, but are owned by their insureds. Any profits are given back to the insureds.

Originally Posted by alpha motoring
I personally don't think an insurance company will pay out even close to $10-$12k DV on a $1,500 claim.
I concur. I was looking to buy an M5 from a guy who had an accident in it. I think it was about $20K in damages, and he was trying for four grand from the insurance company representing the at-fault party. Years later, he's still trying. He also couldn't sell the car for anything close to retail because of the accident history.
Old 01-13-2016, 10:32 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 400 Posts

Where's the pictures?
Old 01-13-2016, 09:41 PM
EMpunker
Rennlist Member

Received 226 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by MJBird993
What I probably should have mentioned was that the rear bumper was also scratched about a year earlier (I think someone kicked it) and I had that repainted as well. So there were actually three panels that were repainted (hood, front bumper, rear bumper). And the rear bumper paint job was noticeable under certain lighting conditions. I'm very surprised the car was CPO'd...
Old 01-13-2016, 10:55 PM
YYZ
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"My 991 was parked on the street and someone hit and run, caused a huge dent and paint damage in the hood and front bumper. So I paid cash to have a local shop fix it, then traded to a dealer for a new car. They never noticed or questioned it and ended up having the car CPO'd..."

LOL...
Be sure to let us know where you trade your current 911.
For a second here I thought I was on the 350Z forums.

Last edited by YYZ; 01-13-2016 at 10:56 PM. Reason: text add
Old 01-14-2016, 08:51 AM
AF330i
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by MJBird993

Just to be a pendant: the largest companies (excluding Geico) in this country are mutual insurance companies. This means that they are not in it for profit, but are owned by their insureds. Any profits are given back to the insureds.
I wouldn't say the largest are mutual's .... Yes State Farm is but Allstate, Aig, Travelers, Berkshire Hathaway(yes you mentioned above geico whom is owned by them) to name a few aren't mutual's and are some of the largest.

Last edited by AF330i; 01-14-2016 at 09:11 AM.
Old 01-14-2016, 09:06 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

It looks like shady tactics go both ways. Somehow we always blame the dealers.

You can't trust anybody I suppose. Do your homework either way.
Old 01-14-2016, 09:15 AM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by YYZ
"My 991 was parked on the street and someone hit and run, caused a huge dent and paint damage in the hood and front bumper. So I paid cash to have a local shop fix it, then traded to a dealer for a new car. They never noticed or questioned it and ended up having the car CPO'd..."

LOL...
Be sure to let us know where you trade your current 911.
For a second here I thought I was on the 350Z forums.
Paint meter can find lots of things. I would get one if I was buying anything used to make sure nothing got through the cracks.
Old 01-14-2016, 10:24 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by stratocaster69
Paint meter can find lots of things. I would get one if I was buying anything used to make sure nothing got through the cracks.
Porsche owners as a whole are very attentive to their car's appearance. Scratches that owners of other brands may learn to live with are attended to by most Porsche owners, and this may result in panels being repainted which of course will be detected by a paint meter. So it's important to differentiate between cosmetic repairs and serious accidents.
Old 01-14-2016, 10:35 AM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fast1
Porsche owners as a whole are very attentive to their car's appearance. Scratches that owners of other brands may learn to live with are attended to by most Porsche owners, and this may result in panels being repainted which of course will be detected by a paint meter. So it's important to differentiate between cosmetic repairs and serious accidents.
Exactly so but I won't want anything thats repainted or touched up. I am too OCD lol Not when I know there are other people like me that will have 10 coats of wax on that car and it doesnt have one nick. They are out there. I trade them in every couple years

Quick Reply: NEED HELP - Diminished Value