Sponsored by:

NEED HELP - Diminished Value

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 01:16 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
I had some superficial damage to the front bumper of my 997S. I took several pictures of the damage and then had the bumper repainted. I had the car appraised at CarMax and they offered me KBB good trade-in value for my car. I did not try to conceal the repair from them, and showed them pictures of the superficial damage prior to the repair.

My experience is that Porsche and Audi dealerships are notorious for offering very little for cars on trade-ins and will rationalize their low ball offer any way they can: that model isn't selling very well, too many miles on the odometer, and of course any repair, regardless of how superficial.

When the damage is superficial it will be a challenge to get anything in diminished value from an Insurance company, unless of course you are willing to take it to small claims court. If you take that path, you would require a diminished value appraisal from a professional appraiser, and of course you will have to spend some time preparing and presenting your case in court.

Bottom line is that if the damage is superficial, and the car is repaired professionally, I doubt that there will be much if any loss in value, but be sure to take lots of high quality pictures to prove to a prospective buyer that the damage was cosmetic. On the other hand if a car is in a high speed collision and sustains substantial damage requiring over $10K for repairs, then I would aggressively pursue diminished value.
+1

And +2 on the Porsche/Audi trade in nightmare. Trade in the car and 50 reasons why the value is so low, and to the next buyer the same 50 reasons why it's such a good buy!
Old 01-10-2016, 01:45 PM
Michael_s
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by stratocaster69
You are right but with some risk. Many dealers will use a paint thickness detector and pick it up on a trade. My local dealer took a GT3 in for trade, and when he signed the contract, he signed to it never being repaired. Thats just part of most contracts. In the contract it may say. Has your vehicle trade in ever been damaged or repaired. Something to that fact!

They found out later, and after the trade, that it had damage by measuring the thickness of the paint. Now they are going back on him because he signed on the contract otherwise. So you pay cash now and its off the report but if you trade it in down the road and say nothing than you may be liable.

I would try the diminished value claim first to avoid headaches later on. I would think it's important to get on it right away if you do that route because of different states statue of limitations. With diminished value claims of 30 percent or more, it's worth it to make them pay if you can. I am not saying I am right. It's just an idea!
They care about the carfax being clean not 1500 in damage. Keep receipts. Take some pics etc. My dealer wouldn't care about a panel painted as long as CF is clean. Most used buyers ask for the carfax not the paint readings....

How many here actually have a paint meter? (I do)

This is simply my advise. Not a chance in hell I would go through insurance Could be the worst idea of the day... (again my opinion).
Old 01-10-2016, 01:52 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,877 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Many dealers will use a paint thickness detector and pick it up on a trade.

Those detectors won't work on most 991's forward of the rear quarter panels as the car is aluminum. Just the rear quarters are steel.
Old 01-10-2016, 04:03 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by STG991
One benefit to leasing. Major accidents on high end cars are a resale nightmare.

There have been numerous threads on this diminished value topic on 6Speed in the 991 section.
+1. If you put any car on the street, every use could be your last. You never know what could happen. If it worries you, lease.
Old 01-10-2016, 04:30 PM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Michael_s
They care about the carfax being clean not 1500 in damage. Keep receipts. Take some pics etc. My dealer wouldn't care about a panel painted as long as CF is clean. Most used buyers ask for the carfax not the paint readings....

How many here actually have a paint meter? (I do)

This is simply my advise. Not a chance in hell I would go through insurance Could be the worst idea of the day... (again my opinion).
Thanks for that information.
Old 01-10-2016, 04:31 PM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by drcollie

Those detectors won't work on most 991's forward of the rear quarter panels as the car is aluminum. Just the rear quarters are steel.
Never knew that, thanks for the intel.
Old 01-10-2016, 06:10 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

I settled a DV claim about a year ago. Go on-line and hire one of the companies to assess your cars value, and to estimate the DV. Then hire your lawyer to submit to the other person's insurance co, and to deal with them. You've got better stuff to do. It cost me about a thousand, but I got a check for about $15,000. Damage itself cost $4000 to repair. Took about six months and lots of frustration, but the DV check easily covered the LOV when I traded the car.
Old 01-10-2016, 06:12 PM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Selo
I settled a DV claim about a year ago. Go on-line and hire one of the companies to assess your cars value, and to estimate the DV. Then hire your lawyer to submit to the other person's insurance co, and to deal with them. You've got better stuff to do. It cost me about a thousand, but I got a check for about $15,000. Damage itself cost $4000 to repair. Took about six months and lots of frustration, but the DV check easily covered the LOV when I traded the car.
Excellent info Selo, thanks!
Old 01-10-2016, 06:24 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by stratocaster69
You are right but with some risk. Many dealers will use a paint thickness detector and pick it up on a trade. My local dealer took a GT3 in for trade, and when he signed the contract, he signed to it never being repaired. Thats just part of most contracts. In the contract it may say. Has your vehicle trade in ever been damaged or repaired. Something to that fact!

They found out later, and after the trade, that it had damage by measuring the thickness of the paint. Now they are going back on him because he signed on the contract otherwise. So you pay cash now and its off the report but if you trade it in down the road and say nothing than you may be liable.

I would try the diminished value claim first to avoid headaches later on. I would think it's important to get on it right away if you do that route because of different states statue of limitations. With diminished value claims of 30 percent or more, it's worth it to make them pay if you can. I am not saying I am right. It's just an idea!
I'm just asking here, but does paint thickness always indicate damage repair. What if, say, you lived in western Maryland and did not garage your car. Rain can be particularly acidic there and do number on the finish (not to mention UV radiation). So you get your car compounded and buffed, maybe extra attention is needed for the hood (maybe for the foliage you didn't clear that left a stain). Would this cause variation in paint thickness? If so, wouldn't a paint meter is only going to show different thicknesses and really not prove if it was from damage repair or just finish maintenance and/or polishing?
Old 01-10-2016, 11:10 PM
YYZ
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies, guys.
I'm going to consult with some more appraisers and get as much collective data and prepare for court if it comes to that... hope not.
While I understand the suggestions to "never mention it", it is disappointing. The accident and repair happened and I believe the new owner should know it. I can afford to tell the truth when I sell, till then I'll make up the loss wherever I can.

Thanks again!
Old 01-10-2016, 11:16 PM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by YYZ
I'm going to consult with some more appraisers and get as much collective data and prepare for court if it comes to that... hope not.
While I understand the suggestions to "never mention it", it is disappointing. The accident and repair happened and I believe the new owner should know it. I can afford to tell the truth when I sell, till then I'll make up the loss wherever I can.

Thanks again!
+1
Old 01-10-2016, 11:38 PM
Michael_s
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by YYZ

Thanks again!
Court over 1500 in damages that could have been left off the car fax by paying cash? Am I missing something? Sounds like a complete waste of time. Regardless, good luck
Old 01-11-2016, 02:28 AM
YYZ
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, you missed the part where the $1500 in repair takes 10% off of my market value for the sake of a "VIN report".
Old 01-11-2016, 02:46 AM
alpha motoring
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie

I have a paint meter sitting right in front of me that will read aluminum. Higher end ones will read multiple materials.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:00 AM
Michael_s
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by YYZ
Yeah, you missed the part where the $1500 in repair takes 10% off of my market value for the sake of a "VIN report".
No, didn't miss that at all. I got it 100%... I'm just having a hard to understanding why then this originally happened and you received an estimate to fix it, the decision wasn't made to pay it yourself and avoid a "bad" carfax which in turn saves 10% reduction in loss of value and the time you are going to spend on a DV claim.... at the same time seeing what you can get from the person to avoid them putting a claim in. If they refuse and only want to go insurance, then you just pay and they get off easy.

Don't understand pursuing 1500 in damages... but it's your car do what you want. I would have paid cash and moved on with a "clean carfax"...

Quick Reply: NEED HELP - Diminished Value