Sponsored by:

Early 991.1 issues to be aware of?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 03:03 AM
slingshot60
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by jason952
Guess you know about the "hot for sale" sticky! Have fun in the search. I was thinking '12 991.1S but found a mint 996tt that I couldn't pass up based on the depreciation curve and torque/mezger.

For a daily you can't go wrong with a 991! Where in Texas? I trained at Lsu-Shreveport.
Have noted the 'Hot For Sale' section... I'm in Abilene. Long ways from the Louisiana border, LOL!
Old 01-01-2016, 10:18 AM
rxtrom
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris C.
I have a Sept 2012 build 2013 model - and it's had most of the TSBs performed on the car - you can find a list on other forums if you search the web

Things like - gas door flap repair, heater malfunction, PCM software upgrade, parking brake software, rear engine cover lining...nothing major that I have found.
Is this considered a 2012.5? I have tried to search for the production month cut over with some of the new changes and TSBs but no luck even in google.
Old 01-01-2016, 10:49 AM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts

Interesting how the Op has asked about common problems with the 991.1 and no one mentioned; a) the possibility of the stumble at ~2500 rpm (ok, someone did briefly imply this one), or b) the faulty change over valves. These aren't show stoppers but they do seem to be issues for many drivers.

Stumble issue: This is real, there are threads about it here in this forum (RL 991 forum) and there doesn't appear to be a solution yet. I say yet because after time there is bound to be a tuner who digs deep into the software and finds this little gem. Best way to avoid - research what it is so you can recognize it when you perform a test drive of your chosen car, and then specifically test for it.

Change over valves: There are pressure valves scattered throughout the engine (I think there are 8 or 9 of them). A bad valve will throw a fault code and off to the dealership you go. Best way to avoid - try to get a car that is CPO or ask about the service history and see if you can identify any replaced change over valves. Haven't run a survey here, though this would be interesting to poll, but I suspect that a very high percentage of cars have had at least one change over valve fail within 3 years of service. BTW - I had one fail, it threw a Coolant Failure fault code, took it to the shop, they checked all of the change over valves and ended up replacing three of them - no charge, under warrantee. My car is a 2013 I purchased a month ago, way to go CPO!
The following users liked this post:
pkalhan (02-21-2022)
Old 01-01-2016, 06:10 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 188 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabs1542
Interesting how the Op has asked about common problems with the 991.1 and no one mentioned; a) the possibility of the stumble at ~2500 rpm (ok, someone did briefly imply this one), or b) the faulty change over valves. These aren't show stoppers but they do seem to be issues for many drivers.
The stumble has appeared in some 2012.5 thru 2014.
Base, S and X51.
No GTS owner has reported it as of yet.
Old 01-02-2016, 03:41 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by rxtrom
Is this considered a 2012.5? I have tried to search for the production month cut over with some of the new changes and TSBs but no luck even in google.
No my car is a 2013. 2012.5s were early 2012 builds - I don't know the cutoff perhaps others will chime in, but generally the factory closes in August for model year change overs and vacations
Old 01-02-2016, 10:27 AM
CMR
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2013 C4S had two change over valves fail as Jabs had described above. The first went 2 weeks after I purchased the CPO'd 911. They had the car in the shop for 2 weeks. One day after getting it home, another valve failed. Fortunately, my service advisor was able to get Porsche to allow my dealership to replace all of the valves as a precaution.

Otherwise, no problems at all. I agree with the poster who recommended full leather and PSE. The full leather is wonderful, red in my case. And while I don't have PSE, I long for it every time I drive the car... I just may bite the bullet and have it installed.

I can already hear my wife complaining that I spent $3500 just to make the engine noise louder.
Old 01-02-2016, 11:45 AM
slingshot60
Rennlist Member

Assuming PSE=Sport Exhaust?
Old 01-02-2016, 12:02 PM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by slingshot60
Assuming PSE=Sport Exhaust?
Yup!

I've owned manuals my whole life and now own a PDK 13' Carrera S and love it.

Change over valve issue is real and my car has had them replaced.

My only advice is nab a 991 with the CPO warranty. Otherwise this is the best 911 I have ever owned.

Opt for full leather as its gorgeous and makes owning this car special. Must have's in my opinion are:

1. PDK
2. Sports Suspension
3. PSE
4. Sports Chrono
5. Glass Sunroof
6. Full Leather interior
7. CPO warranty
Old 01-02-2016, 12:26 PM
slingshot60
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CamsPorsche
....Must have's in my opinion are:

1. PDK
2. Sports Suspension
3. PSE
4. Sports Chrono
5. Glass Sunroof
6. Full Leather interior
7. CPO warranty
Same list I've arrived at! Oh... and not black (just personal preference--out here the wind and dust blows alot and it's HOT in the summer, black just not a practical choice!)
The following users liked this post:
pkalhan (02-21-2022)
Old 01-02-2016, 01:56 PM
Kennethjk
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabs1542

Stumble issue: This is real, there are threads about it here in this forum (RL 991 forum) and there doesn't appear to be a solution yet. I say yet because after time there is bound to be a tuner who digs deep into the software and finds this little gem. Best way to avoid - research what it is so you can recognize it when you perform a test drive of your chosen car, and then specifically test for it.

Change over valves: There are pressure valves scattered throughout the engine (I think there are 8 or 9 of them). A bad valve will throw a fault code and off to the dealership you go. Best way to avoid - try to get a car that is CPO or ask about the service history and see if you can identify any replaced change over valves. Haven't run a survey here, though this would be interesting to poll, but I suspect that a very high percentage of cars have had at least one change over valve fail within 3 years of service. BTW - I had one fail, it threw a Coolant Failure fault code, took it to the shop, they checked all of the change over valves and ended up replacing three of them - no charge, under warrantee. My car is a 2013 I purchased a month ago, way to go CPO!
I just test drove a 2013 911S. Didn't notice any stumble. Car has almost 46 months left on its CPO

Giving serious thought to buying it. Price has come down and if I'm ready to buy maybe some more.

I assume you're happy with yours.
Old 01-02-2016, 02:21 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Hmmm. First I've heard of the change over valves despite research. Will look into that!

I love my 2013 and due to it sitting in a AWD area for numerous months before in-service, it has 47 months of warranty now with CPO.

Since others are offering advice here I will offer a thought - if I were looking again I would be more adamant about skipping Sports suspension - I'll post more on this later but it limits the range of the car too much IMO. (nice if you have smooth roads and a lot of track days!)
Old 01-02-2016, 02:27 PM
slingshot60
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris C.
Hmmm. First I've heard of the change over valves despite research. Will look into that!

I love my 2013 and due to it sitting in a AWD area for numerous months before in-service, it has 47 months of warranty now with CPO.

Since others are offering advice here I will offer a thought - if I were looking again I would be more adamant about skipping Sports suspension - I'll post more on this later but it limits the range of the car too much IMO. (nice if you have smooth roads and a lot of track days!)
Which 'Sports Supension are you talking about? Seems there are several! I am cognizant of that--last 911 I bought new ('99 996) had the 'Sports Chassis' package and was too rough for me...
Old 01-02-2016, 03:37 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Here are the service campaigns I've had on my Sept '12 2013 model build:

WE02 - Dash instrument cluster reprogram
WF27 - PCM reprogram (with XM)
WE-07 - Door arrestor replaced
WE-26 - Switching element - filler flap actuator
We-72 - Engine cover replacement

More sources of TSBs are here:
- http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...campaigns.html
- https://www.automd.com/tsb/porsche_m/
And Porsche's recall lookup site: https://recall.porsche.com/prod/pag/...f/VIN?ReadForm
Old 01-02-2016, 03:38 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Which 'Sports Supension are you talking about? Seems there are several! I am cognizant of that--last 911 I bought new ('99 996) had the 'Sports Chassis' package and was too rough for me...
Sports PASM option on 991
Old 01-02-2016, 05:05 PM
mikeearly
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm thinking 2012.5 or 13 991 PDK with PASM, Sport Chrono, Premium Package and full leather--would like to find one with 20-30K miles as I will be driving it... a lot. Will not be a garage queen. Have a 15 mile work commute daily and a weekly 250 mile business trip weekly that could be doubling soon to twice a week. Will drive my '13 Ford F150 King Ranch Ecoboost 4x4 crewcab or my wife's '13 Q7 when the weather is bad--the other 340 days per year will drive the Porsche.
First of all ... I would love to have 340 driving days per year

Second, I bought my 2013 S Cab last year (traded in a 2013 Boxster S) and absolutely love it. Agree with every one of the options you identified and all of them are on mine. After purchase I added PSE and would highly recommend that - either at time of purchase or later.

Quick Reply: Early 991.1 issues to be aware of?