Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brakes sticking after washing

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2015 | 11:54 AM
pvr
Instructor

Default Brakes sticking after washing

This time of the year, I can't drive the car on the road after washing it as it will be filthy by the time I park it back in the garage.

Current process is after washing:

- Use a metro blaster on the wheels to try to get all the water off the discs.
- Drive up and down the drive (about 50 meters long) and brake frequently.

However, the next day, the brakes will have seized solidly on the disks again, and I can not move the car by pushing it.

As I don't use the car often, it means that on the next trip, the brakes are "grinding" for quite a long time before the deposit has worn away.

Any suggestions on how this can be prevented?
Old 12-14-2015 | 11:58 AM
STG
Race Director

http://www.autogeek.net/hydes-serum-rust-stopper.html

Probably the high humidity is causing them to rust a bit after sitting as well I assume? I take this stuff, spray on a paper towel, and wipe down the rotors sometimes. I have a similar process during washes.

Plus, all of these issues do go away after a short drive and moderate braking.
Old 12-14-2015 | 12:05 PM
LexVan
Banned

Don't park in the garage with the e-brake?
Old 12-14-2015 | 12:08 PM
pvr
Instructor

Ah - did not know that existed, looks great and I will get some of that.

The thing is, the last time this happened, the brakes still did not feel right until after about 30 minutes driving through light traffic - even though I tried to brake as often as I reasonably could.
Old 12-14-2015 | 12:09 PM
pvr
Instructor

I don't have the e-brake on by the way. I leave the car in reverse gear.
Old 12-14-2015 | 12:33 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Water is apparently being trapped under the pads. After metro blasting the rotors move the car forward or back and re blast the rotor spot that was under the pads. This way the whole rotor dries.
Old 12-14-2015 | 01:20 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

get PCCB next time!
Old 12-14-2015 | 09:24 PM
AF330i
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by STG991
http://www.autogeek.net/hydes-serum-rust-stopper.html

Probably the high humidity is causing them to rust a bit after sitting as well I assume? I take this stuff, spray on a paper towel, and wipe down the rotors sometimes. I have a similar process during washes.

Plus, all of these issues do go away after a short drive and moderate braking.
Are you doing this when the rotors are wet or before you start to wash the wheels when the rotors are dry ... I tried this product for the first time a couple of days ago and the directions said to spray the rotors after they are wet and I still got the rusty rotors.
Old 12-14-2015 | 09:31 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by AF330i
Are you doing this when the rotors are wet or before you start to wash the wheels when the rotors are dry ... I tried this product for the first time a couple of days ago and the directions said to spray the rotors after they are wet and I still got the rusty rotors.
I put Hyde's on when wet.

In this order:

I rinse wheel, and before washing it, I wipe the rotors with it sprayed on a paper towel. Also spray a bit directly to the rotor.

After washing the wheel, I rinse with clean water, and blow out the water off the wheel and rotors with my Master Blaster right away. I never let the rotors dry on their own. That's when the rust sets in.

After I blow everything dry, I wipe the rotors down again with a paper towel sprayed with Hyde's. Cleans them up nice.

I have the HRE P101's which make access to the rotors easy.
Old 12-14-2015 | 09:48 PM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Have experienced the same, resolved by driving and hitting the brakes for a few blocks. For those of you wiping down the rotors, do you do both sides? I've washed mine, drove a few blocks, left the car sit for 60+ days, and no problems.
Old 12-14-2015 | 10:01 PM
AF330i
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by STG991
I put Hyde's on when wet.

In this order:

I rinse wheel, and before washing it, I wipe the rotors with it sprayed on a paper towel. Also spray a bit directly to the rotor.

After washing the wheel, I rinse with clean water, and blow out the water off the wheel and rotors with my Master Blaster right away. I never let the rotors dry on their own. That's when the rust sets in.

After I blow everything dry, I wipe the rotors down again with a paper towel sprayed with Hyde's. Cleans them up nice.

I have the HRE P101's which make access to the rotors easy.
Ok I think I know where I went wrong ... I didn't know you had to use the blower to dry it off ... next time I will ... do you master blaster owners find it better then a leaf blower ...
Old 12-14-2015 | 10:05 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by AF330i
Ok I think I know where I went wrong ... I didn't know you had to use the blower to dry it off ... next time I will ... do you master blaster owners find it better then a leaf blower ...
Technically, they say it should work just by drying on its own, but I found my method works best.

Master Blaster vs. leaf blower?? No comparison.

Use a leaf blower for what it was intended for, your yard.
Old 12-15-2015 | 07:01 AM
pvr
Instructor

And use ear mufflers when blowing the wheels as it is quite deafening

Homeles - the problem is that I can't drive around the block, I live in the country side (read - mud everywhere in the winter), so driving on the road for even 100 yards means that your clean car is filthy when you park it in the garage.

I was surprised that despite not using the e-brake, that they would still bind.

I found a supplier of Hyde's in the UK so will order a bottle to try it out as besides the binding problem, it looks horrible when you have a clean car with brown disks ...
Old 12-15-2015 | 02:20 PM
Green_Hornet
Racer

How do you deal with the inside surface of the rotors?

Quick Reply: Brakes sticking after washing