Sponsored by:

Projecting the GTS market

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2015, 01:49 PM
shellbmb
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Projecting the GTS market

Am looking to finally get into the 911 market at some point this year. Ideally 6-9mo away. I just can't get the GTS out of my head. It just seems like the sweet spot of the non-turbo 911's. Drove a 997.2 GTS and was almost ready to pull the trigger, but then I drove the 991.1 S and liked the new body style. So decided to wait and even consider a 991.1 S. 2011-2012 GTS prices are similar if not higher to 2012.5-2013 991.1 S models.

Fast forward to now and the 991.1 GTS is in the picture. More than I wanted to pay, but it is just a beautiful machine. The used market is virtually nil so it would have to be a new one that's still out there. I'd prefer to wait 6-9 months, but obviously can't predict how the used GTS market will play out. I found one that is optioned perfect, but it's 140k. 997.2 GTS or 991.1 S are 75-80k.

I guess my question is if the 991.1 GTS worth the premium right now since they are tough to come by or wait till I'm ready and test the used market? Or go with the 997.2 GTS or 991.1 S, see how I like them and look at the 991.1 GTS market in a year or so. Not having owned a 911, the 991.1 S might suit me fine. And the depreciate hit will already have occurred so not as huge an investment.
Old 12-13-2015, 02:25 PM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts

Great thoughts and similar to the decision I just made so I'll throw in my 2 cents on my breakdown and thinking. I drove the 991 base, S, and GTS. For the record I ended up with a '14 S w/ 7MT, sport chrono, pdcc, premium plus, bose and a few other widgets and couldn't be happier!

GTS:
+ More limited car that will hold its value for longer
+ Slight bump in performance
+ Slightly nicer interior w/ deviated stitching, alcantara etc.
- Significantly more expensive (140k vs. 80k) for what you're getting
- Most come with black wheels (which I'm not a fan of but each their own)
- Hard to find used (hence the pricing problem above)

At the end of the day, if I had (and wanted) to spend $140k I would have gotten a 997.2 GT3 or similar. There's a car that should hold its value nicely if taken care of. I wanted a car to drive almost daily and to enjoy and have fun with. I'm also a huge fan of naturally aspirated engines, having owned a few turbos, and just like the way the power gets delivered so when putting everything together: price + performance = value, I thought the 991 S was the perfect fit for me. I didn't consider 997.2 GTSs for the reason you mentioned above. Higher priced or similar to the 991.1 S for an older car that may have some high maintenance bills out of warranty. Again, I'm not a car collector, and buy cars to drive and enjoy.

If you really want a GTS and don't want to pay up, then waiting is probably a good idea as some owners may switch to the 991.2's or upgrade in the next year and prices should come down a bit but selection will always be limited.

Good luck with your decision and don't be a victim to analysis paralysis. After all, you're buying a Porsche. Things must be pretty good. Post some pictures on what you end up with!
Old 12-13-2015, 03:07 PM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I am sorry but you can buy a 2015 991 GTS for far less than $140K. I bought my MT 2015 GTS for $115K. To do such, I sold the 2013 991 PDK that I owned for 15 months but could not bond with the PDK since I had owned all manual transmission Porsches previously. I sold it for $70K. It was perfect but I could not stand PDK.

Buy an affordable GTS. That means, if you are into frills, buy the deviated stitching and all the trims. The trims do not affect the performance. They cost $$$$.

I bought my GTS with Agate Grey exterior and Yachting Blue interior. I also did not do standard Center Lock Wheels as all the information says they are a pain. I bought gorgeous Carrera S wheels.

The bottom line is that if you want interior sensory experiences, they cost big $$$. If you want external or performance sensory experiences, they cost $$$.

The bottom line is that I am absolutely enchanted with my 2015 991 GTS that had no extra cost other than Agate Grey Metallic as the color. All the Carrera S accessories come as "standard". If you do the arithmetic you will find it is more sensible to buy a stripped GTS other than an equipped Carrera S. Please do the arithmetic!
Old 12-13-2015, 03:15 PM
Tangerine
Pro

Received 125 Likes on 72 Posts

I'm curious what options you consider perfect if it makes the GTS 140, and you state a 991.1 S for 75-80 is comparable. With most configurations, turning a C2 into a GTS would cost you more than the GTS would.

GTS cars will come to market. I'd say more people would choose a 991.2 over a 991.1--the group that's here are the purist weirdos (not an insult, I'm including myself) and not representative of the general population. Average joe will trade in a GTS for a 991.2 because it will feel faster to them on a test drive.

If you just keep an eye on the hot pick thread, there are cars that come up. Someone was trying to sell a great black basic GTS not long ago. Just have your financing or whatever ready to go so you can pull the trigger when something comes up. I agree the GTS is amazing, but don't over-extend yourself to get one.
Old 12-13-2015, 03:19 PM
fastdiablo
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by shellbmb
I just can't get the GTS out of my head. It just seems like the sweet spot of the non-turbo 911's. Drove a 997.2 GTS and was almost ready to pull the trigger, but then I drove the 991.1 S and liked the new body style. So decided to wait and even consider a 991.1 S. 2011-2012 GTS prices are similar if not higher to 2012.5-2013 991.1 S models. Fast forward to now and the 991.1 GTS is in the picture. More than I wanted to pay, but it is just a beautiful machine. The used market is virtually nil so it would have to be a new one that's still out there.
Great observations. You have the GTS bug! Got me too so I bought one while there were still allocations. So glad I did. Sometimes I just go down to the garage to look at those beautiful lines. In terms of pragmatism, I was very pleasantly surprised by how well the 997 GTS prices are holding up, and that bodes well for the 991.1 given the last NA factor. I guess the question is do you want to wait? If you don't want to spend the money now, you could wait for the next recession and see what bubbles up. The US is definitely well ripe..
Old 12-13-2015, 03:38 PM
shellbmb
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MrGreen
I'm curious what options you consider perfect if it makes the GTS 140, and you state a 991.1 S for 75-80 is comparable. With most configurations, turning a C2 into a GTS would cost you more than the GTS would.
Perfect color combo with full leather and deviated stitching. Plus carbon fiber accents to boot. A lot of non-performance upgrades which I realize are pricey. Basically if I were to sit down and build my ideal GTS (cost aside) this would be it.
Old 12-13-2015, 03:50 PM
Tangerine
Pro

Received 125 Likes on 72 Posts

I'd think ahead to the two negative scenarios and see which one is preferable to you. The first is that you buy it for 140, but it turns out there's plenty of them a year from now on the market, including ones with "perfect" options for 40K less than now. The other is that you don't buy it, and the market is hot a year from now, and you regret missing that chance.

If money is no object, of course the first one is better since you don't care and get to drive your dream car and you have had it all this time. But you started your post indicating you can't quite afford one, and seem sensitive to the price. Absolutely do whatever brings you joy, but remember that financial stress can cancel out some of that joy. Try to find the right balance of overall joy in your life.

(just my 2 cents, which at internet posting exchange rates is worth 1/100th of that)
Old 12-13-2015, 04:00 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,609 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Originally Posted by shellbmb
Am looking to finally get into the 911 market at some point this year. Ideally 6-9mo away. I just can't get the GTS out of my head. It just seems like the sweet spot of the non-turbo 911's. Drove a 997.2 GTS and was almost ready to pull the trigger, but then I drove the 991.1 S and liked the new body style. So decided to wait and even consider a 991.1 S. 2011-2012 GTS prices are similar if not higher to 2012.5-2013 991.1 S models.

Fast forward to now and the 991.1 GTS is in the picture. More than I wanted to pay, but it is just a beautiful machine. The used market is virtually nil so it would have to be a new one that's still out there. I'd prefer to wait 6-9 months, but obviously can't predict how the used GTS market will play out. I found one that is optioned perfect, but it's 140k. 997.2 GTS or 991.1 S are 75-80k.

I guess my question is if the 991.1 GTS worth the premium right now since they are tough to come by or wait till I'm ready and test the used market? Or go with the 997.2 GTS or 991.1 S, see how I like them and look at the 991.1 GTS market in a year or so. Not having owned a 911, the 991.1 S might suit me fine. And the depreciate hit will already have occurred so not as huge an investment.
Since the GTS is just finishing its production run, the supply of used ones is not going to be high, except for a few low mileage cars that were bought
early in the cycle and have been flipped for something else ... there are
not even that many new ones left ...

You could go with a CPO S for a year or so until some used GTS'es start to appear...

As to their value, I think you only have to look at the 997 GTS market, that car definitely demands a premium these days seen as it is as the best of
the 997 Carreras
Old 12-13-2015, 04:02 PM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MrGreen
I'd think ahead to the two negative scenarios and see which one is preferable to you. The first is that you buy it for 140, but it turns out there's plenty of them a year from now on the market, including ones with "perfect" options for 40K less than now. The other is that you don't buy it, and the market is hot a year from now, and you regret missing that chance.

If money is no object, of course the first one is better since you don't care and get to drive your dream car and you have had it all this time. But you started your post indicating you can't quite afford one, and seem sensitive to the price. Absolutely do whatever brings you joy, but remember that financial stress can cancel out some of that joy. Try to find the right balance of overall joy in your life.

(just my 2 cents, which at internet posting exchange rates is worth 1/100th of that)

I agree with this guy
Old 12-13-2015, 05:48 PM
Zucc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Keep in mind that many dealers already have brand new 2016 GTS's in stock so used 2015's should be a lot cheaper. Not to mention the ones that will come off lease in the next couple of years.
Old 12-13-2015, 06:42 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

^^^This, you'll start to see 991.1 GTSs once they start to come off lease. Maybe not a whole lot but certainly more than are available now.
Old 12-13-2015, 07:36 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 1,035 Likes on 591 Posts

I'll wait for a used one when you are ready to buy.They will be there and at a significant discount compared to buying new. I had recent experience with GTS market, before i ordered my spyder I was contemplating a boxter GTS, the discount was significant on very lightly used 2015. Low 90's cars initial MSRP were going for mid 70's.I know they are different cars but I think that can give you a good comparison.
Old 12-13-2015, 08:16 PM
holgum
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Or you could do what I did: buy a 2014 50th Anniversary Edition. It's the same spec as a GTS (wide body, powerkit, sport exhaust, etc). Several available with low miles in the 120k range on PCNA locator.
Old 12-13-2015, 11:27 PM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by holgum
Or you could do what I did: buy a 2014 50th Anniversary Edition. It's the same spec as a GTS (wide body, powerkit, sport exhaust, etc). Several available with low miles in the 120k range on PCNA locator.
What he said.
Old 12-14-2015, 12:42 AM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Received 181 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
^^^This, you'll start to see 991.1 GTSs once they start to come off lease. Maybe not a whole lot but certainly more than are available now.
don't bet on it. many who have gotten into the GTS are planning on keeping them as the 991.1 is the last NA 911. Performance will most likely improve with the new models but the sound will go the opposite way. 991.1 GTS is a keeper

Quick Reply: Projecting the GTS market