Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 first-hand impressions and test drives

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2015 | 07:06 PM
coxswain
Racer

Originally Posted by MagicRat
And it encourages you to be very evil indeed. The acceleration off the line is mind blowing. Genuinely leave-everyone-for-dead, thanks-and-goodnight mind blowing. And the fact that it doesn't make a tremendous noise while it's doing it kind of...works. When I overtake people in my GTS I kind of find myself hoping their hearts are in good order; the .2 would be gone before they knew it was there. It's a bit like...has anyone seen Homeland? Rupert Friend's character Quinn? He's a really nice, soft-spoken guy but God help you if you get into a fight with him. The 991.2 is like Quinn.

It also goes around corners quite astonishingly well. The one I tested had the rear-axle steering, and I couldn't tell you whether it was this or the improved suspension (it was probably both) but I felt able to absolutely hurl it about corners with more confidence and at higher speed than my GTS (and mine has PDCC and ceramics and this didn't). The main thing I liked about the RAS was how it seems to shrink the car at low speed; the .2 is without question a far superior city car to the .1.

I guess I have to watch Homeland.
Old 12-17-2015 | 11:32 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Nice comparo and writeup. Thanks for sharing!
Old 12-20-2015 | 06:31 AM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

As I have mentioned before, I thought the new 991.2 sounded ok on my test drive outside the car. The problem was mainly the sound inside car. The Sound Symposer in the 991.2 is just not as effective as it is in the 991.1.

This video is the best one I have seen so far for providing a reasonably accurate representation of what the car actually sounds like outside. IMHO, its not bad at all. Not as good as 991.1....but still has that Porsche sound.

Old 12-20-2015 | 10:27 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Am not a .2 basher at all, but got to admit that sounds anemic. If you are into sound and want a .2, an aftermarket exhaust seem to be the way to go.
Old 12-20-2015 | 10:43 AM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Am not a .2 basher at all, but got to admit that sounds anemic. If you are into sound and want a .2, an aftermarket exhaust seem to be the way to go.
I think we're all there, and candidly that's not a horrible thing to do. I traded my 991.1 and am waiting for an allocation. The NA 991 motor was (is) epic, precise and the best sounding 911 I've ever heard. I have a friend with an R Coupe that would repeatedly tell me how epic the car sounded.

I'm looking forward to adapting to the new torque curve, having some fun in PASM Sport and rear-wheel steering, and even though I'll get the PSE, it'll be fun looking for something that might get closer to the magic of the NA.

In full disclosure I servitude you considered the 3.8l "turbo" - is the sound completely different? Yes. Is it so bad that I want to drive it into a wall? Of course not- it has its own character unique to that engine.
Old 12-20-2015 | 01:53 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Agree. Sounds like a mildly angry blender. That said, it wouldn't put me off from buying the car if it was awesome otherwise. But that rear bumper and exhaust set up might. I keep thinking the look of this car will grow on me, but it's not.
Old 12-21-2015 | 11:57 AM
Dingoman
6th Gear

Absolutely brilliantly narrated opinion, you have read my mind!! I too drove my GTS last Thursday to the dealer and then 45 minutes in the new Carrera 991.2 and you nailed the description and feelings exactly as I would have described it. Both of us having the cars we have will always to a certain extent make us bias towards the GTS, but I honestly think that your description honors the new car's positive updates.

Old 12-21-2015 | 12:59 PM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Old 12-21-2015 | 04:37 PM
erik_plus8
Burning Brakes

Although I was not that impressed by the sound in the clip I was happily surprised there were no fake crackles and burbles on lift off. As long as they're not there, I might even accept a 4-cyl turbo... (just kidding - not going THAT far yet... )
Old 12-21-2015 | 04:43 PM
hawc
Racer

Exclamation

Originally Posted by erik_plus8
I was happily surprised there were no fake crackles and burbles on lift off.
Woah, woah, woah! Are you suggesting that the crackles and burbles from the current Porsche engines on lift off are fake?
Old 12-21-2015 | 05:30 PM
Pokerhobo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hawc
Woah, woah, woah! Are you suggesting that the crackles and burbles from the current Porsche engines on lift off are fake?
They are "fake" in the sense that it is induced by deliberately injecting additional fuel to cause the crackles and burbles
Old 12-21-2015 | 05:39 PM
hawc
Racer

Originally Posted by Pokerhobo
They are "fake" in the sense that it is induced by deliberately injecting additional fuel to cause the crackles and burbles
Is that what happens? Fuel is deliberately injected just to cause the noise? I didn't think that was the case.
Old 12-21-2015 | 08:55 PM
Throttle Lift
Rennlist Member

Burbles and pops are induced same as Jaguar F-Type, AMGs, etc.
Old 12-22-2015 | 05:05 AM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by erik_plus8
Although I was not that impressed by the sound in the clip I was happily surprised there were no fake crackles and burbles on lift off. As long as they're not there, I might even accept a 4-cyl turbo... (just kidding - not going THAT far yet... )
Then I have some bad news for you because when lifting off the throttle in sport mode, there are the same crackles and pops as on 991.1. You can hear them in the sound clip I posted in this thread earlier. It works the same as in 991.1. If PSE is on, you get them, if it's off you don't.
Old 12-22-2015 | 03:02 PM
erik_plus8
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Chris3963
Then I have some bad news for you because when lifting off the throttle in sport mode, there are the same crackles and pops as on 991.1. You can hear them in the sound clip I posted in this thread earlier. It works the same as in 991.1. If PSE is on, you get them, if it's off you don't.
What? Nooooo...!!!

I knew SPORT and SPORT+ enables the fake sound effects, which is somehow ok because you actively choose to be in those modes.

But you should be able to have PSE on (i.e. open) without having to be in any of the SPORT modes, or not...?

If not, I think I have made a huge mistake...

(well, not really, but it would be kind of disappointing to have a PSE and not wanting to use it. Yes, that is how much I hate those fake sound effects. It is terrible)

Quick Reply: 991.2 first-hand impressions and test drives