Sponsored by:

991.2 first-hand impressions and test drives

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 04:55 PM
vivekg
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thanks!

Thank you for these reviews and pictures, they are helpful. As a first time Porsche buyer I'm not sure I'll notice these differences and won't see my car till March/April or even get to test drive this car till March. Hearing about what works and doesn't is great to hear from current Porsche owners.
Old 12-15-2015, 05:17 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,083 Likes on 384 Posts

Some photos from the drive
Attached Images      
Old 12-15-2015, 05:35 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,446 Likes on 2,252 Posts

The sound reviews pretty much match my observations of both cars at RSR-V ... the base w/o PSE was like a vacuum cleaner, but the PSE equipped S sounded more aggressive ... but IMO not as good as an N.A PSE car...

interesting about the sport response button, I guess its a "keyboard accelerator" for selecting Sport+ and downshifting ...
Old 12-15-2015, 05:36 PM
hlvg
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks so much to both of you for the reports!
Like someone wrote, I think this thread will be even more relevant (to me) than all the professional reviews out there.
I plan on starting my search in the coming months and a 991.1 or even a 997 sounds more and more attractive!
Old 12-15-2015, 05:39 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Here is a small sound clip of briefly reving the engine while hanging out the door to try and give you a sense of what it sounds like outside the car. Suggest you listen on a set of head phones to get a more realistic taste of the sound. I played it back on my iPhone speakers and it sounded nothing like what it does in real life.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
991.2 PSE.mov (2.40 MB, 402 views)
Old 12-15-2015, 05:53 PM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by squid42
I would really appreciate if somebody could take a photo of that new red leather with some form of white balance reference.

You don't need an actual photographer's white balance card. A clean white sheet of paper out of the office copier will do just fine if placed in the picture in the same light.

No fancy camera required either. Cellphone does. If an actual white reference is in the picture we can adjust white balance post-posting.
That pale Englishmans dome serves as an excellent white balance reference point...

On the subject of sound, some buyers will be happier with the quieter car. My wife dislikes the pse on my car and prefers her non pse boxster. Baffling, but there it is.
Old 12-15-2015, 06:19 PM
SMZ
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the pics and write ups! I'm digging those rs spyder wheels. I'm all for an upgraded PCM but the thick black border is strange. Wonder why they didn't make the screen as large as possible, especially considering what audi is doing with their new displays? There were a lot of comments about a lower overall noise level. Were all the cars on Pirellis?
Old 12-15-2015, 07:06 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SMZ
Thanks for all the pics and write ups! I'm digging those rs spyder wheels. I'm all for an upgraded PCM but the thick black border is strange. Wonder why they didn't make the screen as large as possible, especially considering what audi is doing with their new displays? There were a lot of comments about a lower overall noise level. Were all the cars on Pirellis?
Yes, all on Pirellis. And the RS Spyders do look good in the flesh.
Old 12-15-2015, 11:09 PM
FlyingFinn911
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

Great reviews Chris and OMG, looking forward to Magic's as well. Im starting to really doubt the automotive media. Lets think about this they get a free trip to the Canary Islands, wine, great hotel, Porsche media blitz, the new shiny cars etc Not the most unbiased bunch at that point . Also, as a group, they have to look forwards toward the coming tide of turbos and hybrids etc and not backwards to the last of the NA powered sports cars, thats what they are about as a group, the new cars, always needs to be better than the old
We are in the midsts of a giant change in the automotive industry.

Anyway, appreciate the reviews of current owners and drivers. As a final note, I love my new 991 GTS but would love to like the new cars as well. As has been said, what kind of sports car can I buy in 5 years? From Porsche or any other marques
Old 12-15-2015, 11:12 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Wanna see some good stuff?? Check out some new listings in the "hot for sale" stickie!
Old 12-15-2015, 11:32 PM
simbal
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great reviews, much better and most likely more accurate than magazine reviews.
Looks like I am going to hold on to my NA 991 for a bit longer!
Old 12-15-2015, 11:34 PM
mb1
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 116 Posts

Thanks to all of the reviewers. As these reviews trickle in, I think that expectations must be realistic. Prospective buyers, me included, would like the new car to significantly exceed the previous version in all aspects. This is not likely to happen. Advancements in recent Porsches have been incremental. The largest advancements have been with new models (996 vs 997 vs 991) not mid cycle refreshes. Every aspect of the car is micromanaged (obviously) by Porsche, and they're not likely to blow up their meticulous slotting structure no matter what engine is in the car. Every base will be slower and have less equipment than the S. Every S will be a "lesser" car than the GTS, which will have less than the Turbo (or GT3). Each new iteration has to be just a little faster with slightly better objective numbers than the last. If they had wanted the new cars to knock your socks off, they would have built it. It's all controlled in an effort to make you pay for every single horsepower, every second on the track and for each square inch of leather.
That said, I can't wait for delivery this spring.
Old 12-15-2015, 11:46 PM
Harsany
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by mb1
Thanks to all of the reviewers. As these reviews trickle in, I think that expectations must be realistic. Prospective buyers, me included, would like the new car to significantly exceed the previous version in all aspects. This is not likely to happen. Advancements in recent Porsches have been incremental. The largest advancements have been with new models (996 vs 997 vs 991) not mid cycle refreshes. Every aspect of the car is micromanaged (obviously) by Porsche, and they're not likely to blow up their meticulous slotting structure no matter what engine is in the car. Every base will be slower and have less equipment than the S. Every S will be a "lesser" car than the GTS, which will have less than the Turbo (or GT3). Each new iteration has to be just a little faster with slightly better objective numbers than the last. If they had wanted the new cars to knock your socks off, they would have built it. It's all controlled in an effort to make you pay for every single horsepower, every second on the track and for each square inch of leather.
That said, I can't wait for delivery this spring.
Old 12-16-2015, 12:37 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 277 Posts

I hate to see and hear this, but it is EXACTLY the issue with the "progress" of the E92 M3 to F82 M4 that I experienced.

I just dumped a perfectly nice, great looking and electronics-wise superior M4 to get back to one of the last NA 991 cars, expecting the same loss of character and fun for the 911 that the m4 has suffered.

The 991.2 will be much faster, more advanced but still less engaging - there's no way it won't be given the turbo power curve and lack of natural sound from the turbos, more relaxed cruising character. The ironic thing is you can't use that extra power on the street - the cars are too fast/powerful now to wring out the motor (yes I know the torque is great at 1900 - thus you won't push the car to 7,000rpms!)

Glad to hear steering feel remains, and a lot of other elements of the 911 road car. I still hope Porsche can fine tune the power curve and feel of the motor to be more visceral with time...but sure glad I found a low mile PSE car while they figure it out. There have been "dud" generations before (not naming names here!) as Porsche advances the ever awesome 911...this could be another one of those

Looking forward to more first-hand drives and commentary!

EDIT: BTW the General Mgr for a dealer I was in recently commented after returning from his new 991.2 training - "were ordering ALL of our cars to stock with PSE. Period."

Last edited by Chris C.; 12-16-2015 at 02:26 AM.
Old 12-16-2015, 01:12 AM
simbal
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the same thing with a 2014 BMW M6 Conv. Glad I am back with a 991 with NA engine. The M6 is so powerful but it feels like an on and off switch. With so much power the sound was quite pathetic.

Quick Reply: 991.2 first-hand impressions and test drives