Mlbraptor
Burning Brakes

Another excellent post MagicRat.
Thank You...
Old 03-19-2016 | 07:01 PM
Zetta
Racer

Originally Posted by MagicRat
... I was driving, but PSE on or PSE off, it didn't make a single sound that I noticed at any time whatsoever. ... [/IMG]
Same here, after todays test drive C2S. For me very limited difference on PSE one/off.

Originally Posted by MagicRat
... From the second I pulled away in the 991.2 it scored massively in this department. Yes you don't get all of the power immediately, but you don't get that in an NA engine either. What you do get is fantastic top-of-the-pedal response and a car that feels totally alive and electrically poised to do your evil bidding.

And it encourages you to be very evil indeed. The acceleration off the line is mind blowing. Genuinely leave-everyone-for-dead, thanks-and-goodnight mind blowing. And the fact that it doesn't make a tremendous noise while it's doing it kind of...works. When I overtake people in my GTS I kind of find myself hoping their hearts are in good order; the .2 would be gone before they knew it was there. It's a bit like...has anyone seen Homeland? Rupert Friend's character Quinn? He's a really nice, soft-spoken guy but God help you if you get into a fight with him. The 991.2 is like Quinn.[/IMG]
+1 (great review, thousend times better than any review on youtube) Describes perfectly the feeling in few sentences
Old 03-20-2016 | 11:45 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Re: sound.

They were filming a 991.2 commercial outside of my building yesterday, and from startup to the car cruising and driving at city speeds (i.e., probably around 30-40 mph), it sounded just fine to me.

Just a bystander's perspective, of course.
Old 03-21-2016 | 12:56 AM
trucheli
Pro

After testing the 991.2 S I love my GTS even more.
Old 03-21-2016 | 01:36 AM
robbie9999
Instructor

Driven 991.1 four times manual car, Driven the 991.2 this weekend, incredible machine, it's clearly faster in power delivery, shifting is better because of less throw. Not sure if the dampening is that much better, can't quantify. The sound is great both models having PSE. All this chat about sound ? You can hear it just the same. If you want more, play with the baffles in the stock exhaust to get more throaty simple thing. This is a better product than the last. 991.1 does have better rear deck grill in my opinion, but changeable, I believe, and 991.1 sport chrono wheels are the best.
Old 03-21-2016 | 02:20 AM
Speedster91
Track Day

Thanks for posting. I've never owned a Porsche but am looking into getting a 911 pretty soon. I had the pleasure of test driving a 911.1 C4S a few months ago and it was a great ride. Gonna test drive the 991.2 pretty soon. All this chatter about the sound being muffled and muted had me a little concerned. Because of that, I was (and maybe still am) a little tempted to buy a 2015 991.1 C4S instead. However, I'm not sure how many of the people here complaining about the exhaust note have actually driven the car versus just basing it off what they have heard or read.

I came across this link for a drive in the 991.2 with PSE, and to me, it sounds great. Even inside the car. Been awhile since I've driven the 991.1 so I can't directly compare and say how much "worse" it sounds. Gonna go test it and see for myself. But hopefully, this will put some fears to rest. For me, I don't think I'd care to have anything louder and feel I'd be satisfied with this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khRF...ature=youtu.be
Old 03-21-2016 | 11:49 AM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Test drove a 991.1 C4 and was really disappointed with the power, but delighted with the handling. The sound was nice, but not my main focus. That is why I went for a 991.2 C2s. I wanted that lower down torque and overall more power than a 991.2s. This will be my first 911 and first sports car. So yeah I could have gone for a 991.1 model but the new features on the 991.2 sold me. Probably helps that I have not owned a NA 911 so do not have a lot of reference.
Old 03-21-2016 | 11:54 AM
AtlantaPerimeter
Former Vendor

The 991.2 has massive power off the line. That fact cannot be argued nor replicated with a 991.1.
They are a blast to drive!
Old 03-21-2016 | 01:06 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Originally Posted by AtlantaPerimeter
The 991.2 has massive power off the line. That fact cannot be argued nor replicated with a 991.1.
They are a blast to drive!

While I haven't driven one and for all I know you may be 100% correct, forgive me if I don't take this as a completely unbiased opinion.
Old 03-21-2016 | 01:28 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

No doubt these cars are going to have lots of power down low. What concerns me is exactly what was said in the Harry's Garage review on YouTube. He noticed that classic FI throttle response of pushing the pedal, momentary lag and then getting too much power and having to back off the throttle to get it just right. I absolutely hate that and I've noticed it in every FI car I've ever driven. Drive's me freakin' nuts in my wife's Audi.

It's pretty easy to get a big power increase with forced induction. It's another thing to get the throttle response perfect. That said, I'll bet a large segment of the market won't even notice or care.

I am looking forward to driving one for myself though.
Old 03-21-2016 | 01:28 PM
AtlantaPerimeter
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Dewinator
While I haven't driven one and for all I know you may be 100% correct, forgive me if I don't take this as a completely unbiased opinion.
You can read the dyno charts if you like, they are posted on here.
I hope that isn't too biased for you!
Old 03-21-2016 | 01:57 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Originally Posted by AtlantaPerimeter
You can read the dyno charts if you like, they are posted on here.
I hope that isn't too biased for you!

I wouldn't try to argue that it doesn't have more horsepowers (and particularly low-end torque) than my .1S, or that all things considered the new tech (for instance in the suspension) don't probably make it a better car overall for at least some people.

However, if there are some negatives, perhaps a slightly less engaging sound or throttle feel, as a non-rich person, I would be very hesitant to ever spend the many many monies that would be involved in trading my .1 for a .2.
Old 03-21-2016 | 02:04 PM
AtlantaPerimeter
Former Vendor

I wouldn't try to argue that it doesn't have more horsepowers (and particularly low-end torque) than my .1S, or that all things considered the new tech (for instance in the suspension) don't probably make it a better car overall for at least some people.

However, if there are some negatives, perhaps a slightly less engaging sound or throttle feel, as a non-rich person, I would be very hesitant to ever spend the many many monies that would be involved in trading my .1 for a .2.
I totally understand your position. I am just trying to assist in limiting speculation while applying facts. The car is faster, that's all I'm saying. The noise, honestly, I didn't pay much attention to. I was pretty focused on the track. I have heard a client that prefers no sport exhaust at idle, but when revving, he preferred the sport exhaust.
Old 03-21-2016 | 03:20 PM
petee1997
Burning Brakes

I do not think the 991.2 has enough advantages to warrant an upgrade from a 991.1 unless you are trading in your normal cycle. I traded a 2013 991.1 S Cab. This was a normal cycle for me and I got RW Steering and sport PASM that were not available on my last car.

If my car had been only two years old, I would have waited. Having said that, I am happy with the innovations the .2 offers.

Quick Reply: 991.2 first-hand impressions and test drives