Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT - Video Games State of the Art?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 01:02 AM
mathfuzzy
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 134 Posts
Default OT - Video Games State of the Art?

With winter coming up (and El Nino), I just might have time to play with video games. The last games I spent any time with were F1 racing and Forza for the XBox 360.

What's the state of the art today for reasonably realistic and fun driving games? XBox One and Forza 6? And is console or iPad better?

TIA.

Last edited by mathfuzzy; 12-10-2015 at 10:58 AM.
Old 12-10-2015, 02:20 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

iRacing /endthread
Old 12-10-2015, 02:42 AM
Tangerine
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 70 Posts

I work in games, and this might sound crazy but for anyone in the know this is really the last time you will play things like driving games on a flat screen. These types of games are particularly well suited to VR.

If you haven't tried good VR, I expect you to be skeptical. I work in high end VR getting ready for the consumer release of these things in the spring. Just wait and try it yourself, it's the first big shift in gaming in decades. To me there's so little difference between the original Nintendo and the Playstation4--you're holding a gamepad, staring at a flat screen. VR is not "oh it's 3D", it's "you are literally immersed in a new world".

First person shooters will suck. Racing games will be great. Space games are great.
Old 12-10-2015, 09:04 AM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MrGreen
I work in games, and this might sound crazy but for anyone in the know this is really the last time you will play things like driving games on a flat screen. These types of games are particularly well suited to VR.

If you haven't tried good VR, I expect you to be skeptical. I work in high end VR getting ready for the consumer release of these things in the spring. Just wait and try it yourself, it's the first big shift in gaming in decades. To me there's so little difference between the original Nintendo and the Playstation4--you're holding a gamepad, staring at a flat screen. VR is not "oh it's 3D", it's "you are literally immersed in a new world".

First person shooters will suck. Racing games will be great. Space games are great.
I love driving sims but my pet peeve with them is the 2 dimensionality. Kind of hard to clip apexes in a 2d world. I am excited by the possibilities offered by the 3d vr units but they aren't reallly ready for prime time just yet. And, I really really don't want to have to endlessly fiddle with oculus rift or what have you on the pc. I would love a fully functional console ready version!
Old 12-10-2015, 09:08 AM
Slantnose!
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by nwGTS
iRacing /endthread
+1!
Old 12-10-2015, 09:08 AM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

To answer the op question, current console titles worth playing: project cars, forza, and for play station, Gran Turismo. For pc you can play i racing, asseto corsa, project cars and a few others.
These are the more "sim" titles as opposed to arcade racers.

Also, get a good force feedback wheel. Prepare to spend another 300-1500 bucks.
Old 12-10-2015, 10:00 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Anyone check out the games on the new Apple TV? Getting it installed today and know nothing about them or even many of the new features.
Old 12-10-2015, 11:56 AM
maxpowers
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

What is the most realistic of the bunch for the PC or PS3? I bought Grand Turismo 6 for $20 for the PS3 and a Logitech G27 racing wheel with 3 pedals and shifter.

Can you actually get better on the track playing Grand Turismo or any of the PC games you mentioned? I had a health scare a few months back after my first time on the track and am going to try autocross in March, but want something to tide me over till then.

Driving the 991 around town doesn't really give me a chance to push it
Old 12-10-2015, 12:09 PM
mathfuzzy
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by maxpowers
What is the most realistic of the bunch for the PC or PS3? I bought Grand Turismo 6 for $20 for the PS3 and a Logitech G27 racing wheel with 3 pedals and shifter.

Can you actually get better on the track playing Grand Turismo or any of the PC games you mentioned? I had a health scare a few months back after my first time on the track and am going to try autocross in March, but want something to tide me over till then.

Driving the 991 around town doesn't really give me a chance to push it
I can tell you from experience that they can help you learn a particular track. I completed several hundred laps of Laguna Seca on Forza before I was on the actual track in an actual Porsche. From the first lap, I knew the line and where to be when entering the corkscrew, which was really helpful.
Old 12-10-2015, 12:19 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,446 Likes on 2,252 Posts

Originally Posted by mathfuzzy
I can tell you from experience that they can help you learn a particular track. I completed several hundred laps of Laguna Seca on Forza before I was on the actual track in an actual Porsche. From the first lap, I knew the line and where to be when entering the corkscrew, which was really helpful.
just as an fyi; RSRNurburg and some of the other Ring rentals ask renters if
they have learned the track on a game, if if the answer is yes they insist on
providing initial coaching prior to releasing their car solo!
Old 12-10-2015, 01:58 PM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by STG991
Anyone check out the games on the new Apple TV? Getting it installed today and know nothing about them or even many of the new features.
I've had all the Apple TVs including the new one. The games that are available right now are fairly lame. There are a couple of racing games that use the Apple remote but I have found the remote touchy to master. Better games are coming. Check out Crossy Road. It's free. Skill level is probably for a 5 year old but it is entertaining for a short period. All you need is your thumb.
Old 12-10-2015, 02:08 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mathfuzzy
In real life it definitely took me a few laps to get used to the track. Do any of the games have Homstead Miami Speedway? I know Grand Turismo 6 doesn't have it
Old 12-10-2015, 02:57 PM
oolor13
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

I like Forza 6 on Xbox One, but, at least for now, there are no P-cars available. Rumor has it that they will be available via an additional Pack sometime in 2016.
Old 12-10-2015, 03:16 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by MrGreen
^^^ This! But you forgot to mention WHY they are well suited. HEAD TRACKING!! I've demoed a racing game with Oculus Rift thanks to a friend at Ubisoft and it was transformative.

Once a more consumer version of Oculus is released and there is support for iRacing, sim racing will never be the same. It's as big a jump as a game pad to a steering wheel except it applies to more of the 6 senses.
Old 12-10-2015, 03:41 PM
hsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I would recommend iRacing and Assetto Corsa. I believe they are best simulators (PC) available.

Quick Reply: OT - Video Games State of the Art?