2015 911 GTS with Center Lock - Looking for spare tire/wheel solution

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 04:37 AM
debdas16
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2015 911 GTS with Center Lock - Looking for spare tire/wheel solution

Hello All,

I have a 2015 911 (991) GTS with 20 inch Center Lock wheels. While it's an absolute pleasure to drive the car, the only issue I am having is frequent flat tires. In the 6 months of ownership, I had 3 flat tire situations (all three were on the rear, twice on the passenger side and once on the driver side).

Hence I wanted to see if I can get a spare wheel / tire set. I looked around and found that Suncoast Parts have a 911 spare wheel / tire + installation kit. And since the spare was for a 5 lug nut system, they told me that they also have a Porsche adapter which can convert the 5 lug system to work like a CL system.

So according to Porsche documentation and advise from Suncoast, this is how it works: (a) if I have a flat front tire, I can install the spare with the adapter and drive till I get my original tire fixed or replaced (b) if I have a flat rear tire, then it's a two step process; first I need to open any one of the two good front wheels, put it in the rear and then put the spare with the adapter in the front.

So my questions are

1. The Porsche documentation is for a 5 lug system, and in that case an original front wheel can work in the rear. But in the case of a CL system, does a front wheel work in the rear?
If it does, then I can completely ditch the idea of the spare kit and get myself a proper Porsche CL wheel / tire set for the front, that way I can use it both in the front and rear without having to use this adapter.

Note: I contacted four Porsche dealers today, two of them told me that it will work and the other two told me the opposite, since there are size differences in the tires and hence brakes may not work and traction will fail. Also Porsche Customer Service seemed clueless and told me that it's not a recommended option.
The cost of the spare kit + adapter + installation tools is $2.5K]

2. Since I have to carry the spare along with me most of the time during long road trips, I was looking for a very light weight option and I contacted Forgeline. They told me they can build a light weight CL front wheel for me, but they too thought that the front wheel may not work in the rear, again, they were not sure.
Do you guys recommend buying this wheel from aftermarket, especially since it's just a spare?
Note: Cost of a front wheel + tire from Porsche is $3.5K and the cost of a light weight CL front wheel and the same tire from aftermarket is $2K.

Any help with this? If anyone has another suggestion, please let me know.

Thanks,
Deb
Old 12-04-2015, 10:32 AM
Vise
Drifting

Received 313 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by debdas16
Any help with this? If anyone has another suggestion, please let me know.
I'd recommend against any plan to change a CL on the roadside, when you get a flat call roadside assistance. Seems very strange that there would be a 5 lug to centerlock kit for a wheel too.

From what I've seen replacing a CL wheel is a two person job as you need someone to stand on the brakes while someone else yanks on the massive breaker bar... you also need the set of tools below which is in the $600+ range, is that include in your quote? That is alot of weight to carry around (wheel/tire + tools) on a daily basis too.

To each their own of course but I would not recommend this idea...
Old 12-04-2015, 10:43 AM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Subscribed. A spare tire option would be nice if feasible. If so, I'd have no qualms with an aftermarket wheel that's lighter since a roadside change with a CL wheel would be tricky enough.

I'd also be interested in innovative solutions that protect the PCCBs in some way.
Old 12-04-2015, 12:39 PM
PatrickC23
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This was always my dilemma on whether or not I should get CLs, but in the end had to have them on a GTS. I will probably eventually get all the tools to change a wheel, but doubt i would try it on the side of a road. I believe there is a brake clamp for the front brakes to do it on your own.

OP - what were the causes of the three flats?

Subscribed.
Old 12-04-2015, 12:45 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,441 Likes on 2,248 Posts

Originally Posted by TorqueChap
Subscribed. A spare tire option would be nice if feasible. If so, I'd have no qualms with an aftermarket wheel that's lighter since a roadside change with a CL wheel would be tricky enough.

I'd also be interested in innovative solutions that protect the PCCBs in some way.
go to suncoastparts and get their $199 CL "*****" you screw that into the hub and you can slide the wheel on/off in safety!
Old 12-04-2015, 12:47 PM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
go to suncoastparts and get their $199 CL "*****" you screw that into the hub and you can slide the wheel on/off in safety!
"Dear Santa...."

Thanks Larry
Old 12-04-2015, 01:09 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,441 Likes on 2,248 Posts

Originally Posted by TorqueChap
"Dear Santa...."

Thanks Larry
there are other options, but they are more expensive and the suncoast tool gets the job done!
Old 06-06-2018, 11:56 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,780 Likes on 4,774 Posts

Old 06-07-2018, 10:03 AM
bikerlee
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought this kit, (useful for the motorbikes too), if I can't plug it then resigned myself to having it flatbedded.

Amazon Amazon
Old 06-07-2018, 10:51 AM
AAK GTS
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Buy a plug kit, get a portable air compressor that plugs into the cigarette lighter, and Leathernan multi-tool.
Old 06-07-2018, 01:57 PM
jnolan
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by AAK GTS
Buy a plug kit, get a portable air compressor that plugs into the cigarette lighter, and Leathernan multi-tool.
This ^^^

I have a plug kit and some basic tools, along with a can of the tire sealant. Plugging a tire is pretty straightforward and can be done roadside without jacking up the car. The tire sealant duplicates what Porsche supplies with the car up in the frunk but my $15 can of sealant is a lot cheaper than replacing the Porsche-supplied sealant and if I can't plug the tire for whatever reason, the sealant will likely do the job well enough to get me to a shop for a replacement. My 991.2 GTS also includes a compressor.

Flats caused by nails and screws almost always happen on the rear tires. Your front drives over the object and kicks it up and the rear tire then suffers a puncture.
Old 06-07-2018, 02:25 PM
Nm2far
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by AAK GTS
Originally Posted by jnolan
This ^^^

I have a plug kit and some basic tools, along with a can of the tire sealant. Plugging a tire is pretty straightforward and can be done roadside without jacking up the car. The tire sealant duplicates what Porsche supplies with the car up in the frunk but my $15 can of sealant is a lot cheaper than replacing the Porsche-supplied sealant and if I can't plug the tire for whatever reason, the sealant will likely do the job well enough to get me to a shop for a replacement. My 991.2 GTS also includes a compressor.

Flats caused by nails and screws almost always happen on the rear tires. Your front drives over the object and kicks it up and the rear tire then suffers a puncture.

+1. Doing same and adding a safe jack stand and used OEM scissors jack for getting better access to the tire if required.
Old 06-07-2018, 02:28 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,273 Likes on 595 Posts

Would love to see the CL > 5L adapter.

If that doesn't exist or is ridiculous, it may be viable to work with an aftermarket company such as HRE or Vossen to have a "billet" spare made up, one that takes a tire from the factory spare but will work on your CL hub. They certainly have all the specs to make the center, so they'd just be making a very narrow wheel. Of course, you'll still need the jack (those are pretty light) and the tools and paste etc for a roadside CL change....and you may want to practice that.

Or, you just call roadside. Assuming you're somewhere that has cell signal....and your 991 isn't too low to be loaded onto a flatbed.

A plug kit and a prayer may be the most sensible policy.

Quick Reply: 2015 911 GTS with Center Lock - Looking for spare tire/wheel solution