Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scraped aerokit lip. Possible bumper damage?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2015 | 09:29 PM
599f12
2nd Gear

Default Scraped aerokit lip. Possible bumper damage?

Hi all,

First post here. Unfortunately scraped the front aerokit lip on my 991 the other night. Came down a bad hill in the dark and even slowly at an angle it scraped in a rain gutter at the bottom. Had a few minor scrapes previously but this one is visible at a glance. Looks like it contacted the front initially rather than the bottom and I noticed that the lip is sticking out a bit from the bodywork. Looking from above, the other side looks flush with the bumper in the same spot.

I've ordered a couple replacement lips to be painted per the advice here but was wondering if I need to be worried about damage to the area the lip mounts to (or anywhere else) as it seems that the end doesn't flex back into a flush position. Pictures are attached.

Thanks
Attached Images    
Old 12-03-2015 | 09:38 PM
STG
Race Director

Hey hey, where are the customary car pics and details???

The spoiler looks like it popped out. Probably a clip or whatever holds it in. Most likely no damage to the actual bumper. Further investigation is needed obviously. I'd bet all is good except a spoiler swap. Even with that, those scratches look low. Hard to see from the close up pics. Might be able to touch them up and have them not stand out too much. Or a swap as mentioned.
Old 12-03-2015 | 10:35 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

its actually hard to tell since the pictures are so "closeup" ... but I'm guessing that the 3rd picture suggests that the holding h/w at the end of the lip just in front of the wheel has been pulled out or
you may have even bent the plastic lip itself
Old 12-03-2015 | 10:36 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

and it might be time to buy a couple of spares and get all three painted!
Old 12-04-2015 | 01:27 AM
dogshyne
Instructor

it will happen again. just get touch up.

i have same bumper and its been scratched and repainted w/ touch-up in my garage multiple times.
Old 12-04-2015 | 05:00 AM
599f12
2nd Gear

Thanks guys

Originally Posted by STG991
Hey hey, where are the customary car pics and details???
I'll have to get some up soon, it's an Agate Gray GTS coupe and current daily driver

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I'm guessing that the 3rd picture suggests that the holding h/w at the end of the lip just in front of the wheel has been pulled out or
you may have even bent the plastic lip itself
Something like that is what I was worried about . Mainly concerned with the lip sticking out rather than the scrapes, refinish/touch up plus some spare lips should be fine for those. I did notice the black rivet/fastener underneath the lip on that side is still in there so not sure if there's anything else that could've fallen out. Or if by holding h/w you meant the slots it clips into in the bumper. Hopefully that could be fixed.

Any reason to get my dealer to check it out or should I just wait til the spare lips arrive and pop it off myself to check for anything then?
Old 12-04-2015 | 10:36 AM
Rallybagger
Advanced

Dr. Color Chip - always buy a bottle to have around. Wet sand, clean and address. Works surprisingly well.

As far as additional damage, check all the "fasteners" (black clips) - most likely will be one of those or at least be able to muscle it back in a bit. All that fails, have it checked at the dealer.

Quick Reply: Scraped aerokit lip. Possible bumper damage?