Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Atlanta Porsche Experience report

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 09:05 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

I'm in Charlotte and looking to go to this ASAP... anyone wanna carpool?

I like the idea of having launch control and have my car for fun mountain drives, etc. Looking for a 944 to track duty. 991 is too expensive to track based on tires alone. Plus, I'm still at miata skill level and need more practice.

The cost of tires, brakes and fluids alone make this worth it to me
Old 02-05-2016, 09:34 AM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by freeman
VW Group is cutting expenses by billions based on the diesel fiasco. The LA Center may be included in one of the cuts.
Its already paid for, no?

Editt: i am an imbecile, you said LA.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:40 AM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
I'm in Charlotte and looking to go to this ASAP... anyone wanna carpool?

I like the idea of having launch control and have my car for fun mountain drives, etc. Looking for a 944 to track duty. 991 is too expensive to track based on tires alone. Plus, I'm still at miata skill level and need more practice.

The cost of tires, brakes and fluids alone make this worth it to me
This is why the school is so much fun. You get to drive the cars hard and not have to worry about your car. Also it lets you get a truer understanding of cars you might have thought about buying. For example, i loved the GT3 and GT4 as track cars, bit after having driven them at school, i know i wouldnt want one over a GTS or an S in real life. Too much compromise on the comfort side of the equation. I like my leather etc.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:28 AM
Mlbraptor
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am looking forward to going....
Old 02-05-2016, 10:29 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Mlbraptor
I am looking forward to going....
Let me know when you go. I also want to check out the new Davidoff Cigar lounge in Atlanta.
Old 03-07-2016, 10:26 PM
Cajun Martyni
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Anyone done this lately? Thinking about going soon. Any suggestions?
Old 03-08-2016, 02:36 AM
OTM
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

If you have the opportunity, check it out. I did the Master the Manual and loved the GT4. I also did the C2S experience. Drove a PDK with the C2S. Amazing experience. I can't wait to get back again. My two instructors could not have been more different than each other but I liked them both. I feel like it was a bit of learning, a bit of fun and who doesn't like spending a few hours talking about Porsches. Next time I'd like to drive the GT3 but I'd be fine driving exactly what I drove last time.
Old 03-08-2016, 03:38 AM
captainkirk
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

One needs an appointment/reservation to go in. I went there 2 weeks ago; I thought I could just enter the building and go to the restaurant. Apparently I need a reservation to enter the premises.

Planning properly for my next trip there in a month or two. Will report back
Old 03-08-2016, 10:10 AM
Sharm
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 42 Posts

I'm booked for April for the master the manual. Will be my first. Cannot wait, will report back.
Old 03-08-2016, 11:02 AM
Cajun Martyni
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by OTM
If you have the opportunity, check it out. I did the Master the Manual and loved the GT4. I also did the C2S experience. Drove a PDK with the C2S. Amazing experience. I can't wait to get back again. My two instructors could not have been more different than each other but I liked them both. I feel like it was a bit of learning, a bit of fun and who doesn't like spending a few hours talking about Porsches. Next time I'd like to drive the GT3 but I'd be fine driving exactly what I drove last time.
Did you do the 1 1/2 hour experience? How long does that last (approximate start and end times) and was that enough for a first time to justify the trip?
Old 03-08-2016, 12:59 PM
tanger
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

I also did this right before a Skip Barber school - I actually called and asked for a GT4/GT3 combo (which is not one of their set experiences but they were able to accommodate- it was same cost as the GT3/Turbo experience). While the higher speed "track" is fun once or twice, I chose to spend most of the time on the skidpad, wet kickplate, and the "drift" course. Where else can you exceed grip limits safely? Was really helpful and fun for me to understand the dynamics of rear engine and then compare to mid engine.

I wasn't part of any group so my instructor basically let me choose whatever I wanted to do. He had good insights on the behaviors of each car and that allows for a much faster ramp (especially since the limits of these cars are so high).

The 1.5 hours goes REALLY fast. But then I had the 3-day race course at Road Atlanta to look forward to!
Old 03-08-2016, 06:13 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,185 Likes on 1,003 Posts

I've been down there three times. One time, I just called them in the morning for an afternoon slot and they accommodated me.

I found them to be EXTREMELY flexible to allow me to do anything I wanted. I watched from their elevated deck over the track and could here the 911 scream around......it had pdk obviously. They finished up, parked and it was my turn. Before I even walked down, I asked them to swap out the pdk 911 for a MT. I didn't have to look in the car window or ask to verify...I knew. I'm a manual guy. They quickly swapped out the car.

I wanted to work on the kick plate and the track (lines etc) and didn't really care about the low friction circuit or the acceleration/braking section (I didn't have LC anyway)

It's a short track and favors handling over HP and speed. Mid-engine Boxster/Cayman has the advantage. While in a Boxster, I passed numerous 911Ss and GT3s (they were apparently just guys off the street). Shaking head.

There is almost NO runoff. Just about 6 inches. I'm not kidding....and then a guard rail. That is it.

$10,000 deductible in case you get into a "fender bender". You can buy it down to $2000 for an extra $50 bucks. I passed. I don't wreck.

Enjoy it. I'm going back as many times as I can. I can't wait to drive the 991.2.
Old 03-08-2016, 10:47 PM
Mlbraptor
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Let me know when you go. I also want to check out the new Davidoff Cigar lounge in Atlanta.
Sounds good...
Old 03-09-2016, 01:26 AM
OTM
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Cajun Martyni
Did you do the 1 1/2 hour experience? How long does that last (approximate start and end times) and was that enough for a first time to justify the trip?
The 1.5 hr experience was pretty much a full 1.5 hrs of driving. Spent 10 to 15 min talking to instructor before and then again after but I was driving for pretty close to 1.5 hr. I did 1 Experience Thursday afternoon and came back Friday morning for the other. It was perfect. Two of them back to back would have been fun but possibly a lot to take in as I have so much to learn and it's actually a lot more physical than I thought. Not sure why that surprised me since I'm always talking about how racing drivers are amazing athletes but I didn't realize what that meant until I spent 90 minutes driving hard and trying to improve with each lap. Next time I go to Atlanta, I will do 2 Experiences again and if possible, space them over 2 days.

Last edited by OTM; 03-09-2016 at 01:27 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-23-2016, 01:48 PM
Sharm
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Atlanta Porsche Experience report

Going this upcoming Saturday. Wonder if the 991.2s will be there? I'm doing Master the Manual. Better yet, an R!

Quick Reply: Atlanta Porsche Experience report