Sponsored by:

Fault present for left illuminated sill cover

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 10:45 PM
slave2miles
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fault present for left illuminated sill cover

I got a PPI done today on a 2014 991 S and the only issue they found on the car (which is amazing after 3 hours) was a fault present for the left illuminated sill cover. Now where this gets interesting is that the car does not have illuminated seals, nor was it originally configured with them. Could this be a situation where the previous owner put them on after the fact and then removed prior to trading in the car? Anyone have any ideas about this issue?
Old 11-17-2015, 11:00 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,407 Likes on 2,514 Posts

Originally Posted by slave2miles
ICould this be a situation where the previous owner put them on after the fact and then removed prior to trading in the car? Anyone have any ideas about this issue?
Without knowing more, this would be my guess too. The illuminated sills, especially the carbon fiber ones, are very expensive. So maybe the prior owner wanted to keep them for his next car, or sell separately to recoup more of his purchase price.

Do the current sills look pristine as compared to the rest of the car? This could be a good "tell". I hear to replace the sills, the original sills are almost always destroyed trying to remove them.
Old 11-18-2015, 09:56 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 848 Likes on 426 Posts

deleted post.
Old 11-18-2015, 10:36 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Without knowing more, this would be my guess too. The illuminated sills, especially the carbon fiber ones, are very expensive. So maybe the prior owner wanted to keep them for his next car, or sell separately to recoup more of his purchase price.

Do the current sills look pristine as compared to the rest of the car? This could be a good "tell". I hear to replace the sills, the original sills are almost always destroyed trying to remove them.
I have removed/ replaced my regular sills with the regular carbon sills. It's PITA to remove them (big fat strip of double sided tape) and there's no way you can reuse them.

Old 11-19-2015, 01:18 PM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Strange. If your sills weren't modified by a prior owner, it would suggest that Porsche prewires sills to accept illumination.

Quick Reply: Fault present for left illuminated sill cover