Pdk T4S for a manual GTS?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2015, 09:53 AM
Sharm
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Pdk T4S for a manual GTS?

Ok guys, I need your help.

I'm in the rare position (for me) to be able to swap my PDK Targa 4S, which was bought ordered and specced by yours truly, and jump into a manual Carrera GTS. I know this is another 'what should I do thread,' but I really need help on this one rather quickly as it's a dealer lot car.

My main concerns are the interior of the gts is not the upgraded interior pkg and just the standard alcantara leather seats with no leather on dash. I currently have full leather in my car with deviated stitching so I may miss the nice fit and finish. What are others' opinions of their GTS interior and especially if you didn't go with the interior package. Obviously thats secondary to the fact that I am also going from a pdk, which I absolutely adore, to a manual. I am no stranger to manuals as my other daily driver is one, but I am afraid I will miss the pdk. I guess I just want to know what other people would do on this forum in the same situation. Thanks!

Last edited by Sharm; 11-07-2015 at 10:14 AM.
Old 11-07-2015, 09:57 AM
Michael_s
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

Really need more info... why do you think you want to do this? Do you not like the Targa? Intended use? Financial terms, etc...
Old 11-07-2015, 10:08 AM
Sharm
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Pdk T4S for a manual GTS?

Originally Posted by Michael_s
Really need more info... why do you think you want to do this? Do you not like the Targa? Intended use? Financial terms, etc...
Thanks for the reply Michael.

I adore my Targa but I ordered the car before the GTS came out, so I always have the itch to own a powerkitted GTS. Currently I use my Targa as a part time daily driver and fulltime weekender. I do drive in traffic to work so I am afraid the manual might be an issue, but as I mentioned my daily beater is manual so not a huge switch. I do sometimes feel uninvolved with the PDK and I feel a manual might rekindle my connection with driving the 911. It will be a trade in with a reasonable deal.

Whats holding me back? I have grown attached to my DBM Targa and it is gorgeous to look at when I walk up to it in the garage and in the road. I am not an expert driver so to me it offers more than enough performance, and I wonder if I'll really notice the difference in the GTS.
Old 11-07-2015, 10:19 AM
prrod
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK
Let me pitch in.
Although a very personal decision, I would jump on the manual GTS.
As good as the PDK is, nothing beats the joy and involvement in driving a manual.
The last, and only PDK 911 that I've had, I traded in 6 months later because for me, it was not as fun to drive.
In addition,I think that with the new turbos coming in, plus the fact that is a GTS, you
will probably have a car that hols its value pretty well.
Old 11-07-2015, 10:22 AM
TheEngineer
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Noooooooooo! This is the setup for another PDK vs Manual, chocolate vs vanilla, flame war.
Old 11-07-2015, 10:38 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,220 Likes on 737 Posts

I would not do it if you are loving your Targa. You had it customized the way you wanted whereas the GTS seems to be lacking in the couple of areas you mentioned. There is always going to be "another car" and "another deal" so why settle for one where you even have to ask the question? If you loved the GTS, you would have gotten it already. Besides, the way you mentioned that you drive it, I don't think you will see a huge difference between the two. My 2 cents.
Old 11-07-2015, 10:57 AM
ddodds
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 45 Posts

You custom ordered this car for yourself and you seem to adore everything about it, including the pdk. Why change out now? I'm not sure you will gain that much with the power kit. Let's see some pics of your target including interior, it sounds pretty nice.
Old 11-07-2015, 11:00 AM
thomnellie
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
I would not do it if you are loving your Targa. You had it customized the way you wanted whereas the GTS seems to be lacking in the couple of areas you mentioned. There is always going to be "another car" and "another deal" so why settle for one where you even have to ask the question? If you loved the GTS, you would have gotten it already. Besides, the way you mentioned that you drive it, I don't think you will see a huge difference between the two. My 2 cents.
+1
Old 11-07-2015, 11:22 AM
c_Gio
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Obvious choice. Go with the MT.
Old 11-07-2015, 11:39 AM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Received 4,325 Likes on 1,511 Posts

You cannot rationalize or debate any purchase in cars costing this much, its all emotionally driven. So...having said that - which one puts that biggest grin on your face? That will be your answer.

Myself, I had one dual clutch car (BMW M), and quickly got bored with it. As long as I'm driving sports cars, they will be three pedal from here on out. But that's just me.
Old 11-07-2015, 12:49 PM
ahughes3214
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would not do it, those special personal choices make a big difference every time you sit in the car, especially leather. I had a GTS that I settled on from the lot and it did not have some of the personal touches I like; ended up trading it within two years and ordering what I was missing. Another consideration MAY be less sound proofing on the GTS, that could be annoying for a daily driver, but I am not sure of that. Also, I know it is expensive but have you considered retrofitting a powerkit?
That said, I have the powerkit on my C4S. Unless you are way up in the revs I dont think you will notice the difference from a non-PK car.
Old 11-07-2015, 12:57 PM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Received 182 Likes on 97 Posts

Stick with the T4S. If a GTS is the way you want to go then search for the one that has your options and make an offer. I don't think you should get into a car because the dealer has something that you kind of like.
Old 11-07-2015, 01:09 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Based solely on what you described, your likes, etc., I'd say stay in your car. But I'd drive the GTS before making any decision.
Old 11-07-2015, 01:51 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,631 Likes on 2,357 Posts

DO IT!
Old 11-08-2015, 03:55 PM
John 996 TT Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Stay with your car but use the upgrade $ to put the Powerkit onto your car. Then you have GTS power/performance and your custom specified car. Win Win in my opinion.

Quick Reply: Pdk T4S for a manual GTS?