Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone ever buy replacement OEM tail lights that had a different connector?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 12:46 AM
aspriggsdds
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone ever buy replacement OEM tail lights that had a different connector?

I bought some clear tail lights for my 2013 Carrera. I went to install them tonight, and the connectors where you plug the wires in are different. I got them from Sonnen Porsche. I'll be calling them in the morning. Just curious if it's happened to anyone else.

Old 11-06-2015, 04:52 AM
Ørjan
Instructor

Received 141 Likes on 58 Posts

I found this; http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...signals-3.html

Just got my euro tail lights today. I ordered the same kit as Dean.

Install is a breeze.

1) Raise the rear spoiler to the full upright position.

2) Snap off the plastic covers immediately above the lights. There are a pair of torx screws per light that need to be removed to release the light. The Cleveland road salt from last winter made this a bear for me; one of the screws was insanely tight. Lack of clearance makes leverage an issue. Take care not to strip the screw!!! Ask me how I know; won't be quitting my day job.

3) Once you have the North American tail lights disconnected, compare to the euro tail light socket. You will need to trim off a tab and round off a corner of the euro socket to allow the North American plug to fit. (self explanatory when you have the light disconnected). I used a small round file and utility knife. Even with this modification, the plug fits securely.

4) Reverse steps and take time to align the lights correctly prior to tightening the screws.
The clear lights are EU-spec, so this mod is needed on US-cars.
Old 11-06-2015, 09:48 AM
aspriggsdds
Advanced

Well that's interesting. I wasn't aware the Euro and U.S. spec lights were different. Looks like the Euro ones have an amber turn signal and the U.S. ones have a red one. I like the idea of the amber. I wonder if I can find an adapter to fit the Euro lights so I don't have to file them down.
Old 11-06-2015, 02:21 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,631 Likes on 2,357 Posts

Originally Posted by aspriggsdds
Well that's interesting. I wasn't aware the Euro and U.S. spec lights were different. Looks like the Euro ones have an amber turn signal and the U.S. ones have a red one. I like the idea of the amber. I wonder if I can find an adapter to fit the Euro lights so I don't have to file them down.
red turn signals are not legal in the EU.
Old 11-06-2015, 10:14 PM
aspriggsdds
Advanced

Just an update for anyone who may encounter the same issue.

I took a knife and altered the Euro-spec light connector so that it fits with the North American plug. Once it was shaved down, the plug fit all the way onto the connector until the clip seats. It's secure and not going anywhere.

Everything works as it should. The turn signal & hazards now flash in yellow. I tested them when I had a new clear light on one side and the old red one on the other and the yellow is brighter than the red by a considerable amount. The brake/driving lights on the new light were also brighter than the old, but only just. I tried to take pictures with the yellow lights on, but I couldn't get a good shot int he dark.

Here's a pic of the connector if anyone is interested in what the modification looks like.
Old 11-07-2015, 04:31 AM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Did you order the Euro spec lights by mistake or Sonnen Porsche sent you the wrong lights? I ordered mine from Suncoast and did specific lights for "RHD".
Old 11-07-2015, 06:15 AM
aspriggsdds
Advanced

They told me that it was my fault because my VIN wasn't listed with the order (which I actually did enter it when I placed the order). They said North American lights weren't sent because they didn't know where in the world my location was...despite my address in North Carolina. Sounds like they were just making excuses.
Old 11-07-2015, 07:42 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,220 Likes on 737 Posts

Originally Posted by aspriggsdds
They told me that it was my fault because my VIN wasn't listed with the order (which I actually did enter it when I placed the order). They said North American lights weren't sent because they didn't know where in the world my location was...despite my address in North Carolina. Sounds like they were just making excuses.
Ya never know - maybe there is a North Carolina in another country somewhere, as in North Carolina, Russia, or North Carolina, China, or North Carolina, Tibet. And I am sure all those other countries have the same zip code as yours, LOL.

Quick Reply: Anyone ever buy replacement OEM tail lights that had a different connector?