Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Situation?

Old 10-31-2015, 09:52 PM
mathfuzzy
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 134 Posts
Default Tire Situation?

I figured I'd make you guys proud and take the GTS for an inaugural drive today. Spent last night and this morning buffing out any paint issues and putting on a coat of wax. Everyone went just great for the first 60 miles and then I heard an unmistakable loud hiss in on a twisty two lane in the Santa Cruz mountains. Then the TPMS alarm went off, but I was already finding a good place to stop. My right rear was totally deflated, but the wheel is fine. Tried the can of goo, but it just bled out of the puncture created by - get this - a carabiner!

AAA premium membership took car of us and got us to a shop in Scotts Valley that figured out how to get us on the road again. They put in a big *** patch, but there's cord damage and a can of goo in there, so I'm going to replace the tire. No big deal.

But here's the catch - the matching tire is showing back order at tire rack - it's the PZero NO. I'll check out my dealer and Carlsen (two closest dealers) on Monday. Any other bright ideas if they don't have one? I'd consider switching to MPSS all around, but that continues to not look like an option.
Old 10-31-2015, 09:57 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

The dealership should be able to get you a replacement tire. Tire Rack should have access for just these types of emergencies.
Old 10-31-2015, 10:06 PM
77tony
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 115 Posts

Was speaking with Joe this afternoon when he received your text . Glad to hear nothing more than a corrupted tire. T
Old 10-31-2015, 11:03 PM
mgflyfish
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mathfuzzy
I figured I'd make you guys proud and take the GTS for an inaugural drive today. Spent last night and this morning buffing out any paint issues and putting on a coat of wax. Everyone went just great for the first 60 miles and then I heard an unmistakable loud hiss in on a twisty two lane in the Santa Cruz mountains. Then the TPMS alarm went off, but I was already finding a good place to stop. My right rear was totally deflated, but the wheel is fine. Tried the can of goo, but it just bled out of the puncture created by - get this - a carabiner!

AAA premium membership took car of us and got us to a shop in Scotts Valley that figured out how to get us on the road again. They put in a big *** patch, but there's cord damage and a can of goo in there, so I'm going to replace the tire. No big deal.

But here's the catch - the matching tire is showing back order at tire rack - it's the PZero NO. I'll check out my dealer and Carlsen (two closest dealers) on Monday. Any other bright ideas if they don't have one? I'd consider switching to MPSS all around, but that continues to not look like an option.
Bad Karma Luck--hope the replacement comes in w/o a hitch--
Old 10-31-2015, 11:31 PM
mathfuzzy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mgflyfish
Bad Karma Luck--hope the replacement comes in w/o a hitch--
I was thinking that it was good luck. I've had several pairs of sunglasses that I dropped in the first week or two and then never again for multiple years. Seemed to me like that.

And check out where we were stranded:

Not so bad a place to be - and here's how flat our tire was:

And everyone who helped us get us on the road again today was friendly, professional, personable, cared about doing a good job, and
Seriously seemed to like the Club Coupe. Given that it was inconvenient and a drag, it was a surprisingly good experience and a lesson to not always be in such a hurry.
Old 10-31-2015, 11:45 PM
mathfuzzy
Rennlist Member

Oh, and here's the offending carabiner. I don't know how the hell it got in there and did so much damage. Seems like the kind of benign thing that you would just run over.

Old 10-31-2015, 11:49 PM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 51 Posts

Sorry to hear this, I had a similar problem within my first month of ownership! Had to flatbed it to NTB and beg them to patch the tire...they damaged the wheel doing it. Sucked!
Old 11-01-2015, 01:01 AM
sparkyglenn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great looking car btw.

Hope all gets worked out.
Old 11-01-2015, 01:29 AM
mgflyfish
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was thinking that it was good luck. I've had several pairs of sunglasses that I dropped in the first week or two and then never again for multiple years. Seemed to me like that.

And check out where we were stranded:

Not so bad a place to be - and here's how flat our tire was:

And everyone who helped us get us on the road again today was friendly, professional, personable, cared about doing a good job, and
Seriously seemed to like the Club Coupe. Given that it was inconvenient and a drag, it was a surprisingly good experience and a lesson to not always be in such a hurry.
So glad that what could have been a bad day was actually one that exposed you to the beauty of nature and the kindness of strangers-- BTW My first ever camping trip some 58 years ago was right around the corner at Big Basin--Lovely part of the world--
Old 11-01-2015, 02:31 AM
2fnquik
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Could have been worse! Did you try Porsche roadside assistance, or go right to AAA?
Old 11-01-2015, 03:02 AM
mathfuzzy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2fnquik
Could have been worse! Did you try Porsche roadside assistance, or go right to AAA?
Funny you ask. I had to walk up the road about a quarter mile from where we stopped to get a cell signal and started with Porsche roadside assistance. After 10 or 15 minutes and on hold, I gave up, walked back to the car to get my wallet (doh!) and walked back up the road trip get cell service. AAA picked up on the second ring, sent a flatbed to get us, called a shop and let them know we were on our way, and got us back on our way.

Porsche roadside assistance has been helpful to me in the past, but it wasn't a good experience this time.
Old 11-01-2015, 11:22 AM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

...... I don't know how the hell it got in there and did so much damage. Seems like the kind of benign thing that you would just run over.

simple answer and the reason why the vast majority of punctures are in the rear tire : the front tire runs over and , for a split second , " stands up " the previously harmless flat- laying road debris ...and you know the rest
Old 11-01-2015, 11:51 AM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Oh man - that's not cool on your first drive!
Old 11-01-2015, 02:03 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,423 Likes on 2,237 Posts

good luck with finding a replacement, the PZeros and the MPSS have been on back order for a while.

Hopefully PCNA and/or a dealer can find you one!
Old 11-01-2015, 02:30 PM
mathfuzzy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
good luck with finding a replacement, the PZeros and the MPSS have been on back order for a while. Hopefully PCNA and/or a dealer can find you one!
Yep, hopefully LexVan is right. Guessing it'll be priced at retail, but hopefully there's a stock available in reserve for situations like this.

I'll find out tomorrow.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tire Situation?