Sponsored by:

New to porsche, don't like look of 991.2 sport exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 12:02 PM
Chubby Racer
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by squid42
Careful with the website builder soundclips. For a long while they had new soundclips of the 991.2 turbo car and had not updated the (single) PSE clip. You would navigate to PSE from the turbo car and hear the NA car sound.

The PSE clip has since been changed but quite honestly it still doesn't sound right to me.

In any case, welcome to the club of not liking the centered exhaust.
I've been scouring youtube for non-official clips.

Originally Posted by bmedude
the exhaust tips are growing on me. That color is beautiful.
It's a neat color, and I'm inclined towards grey vehicles (I have a dark shadow grey superduty and a rare mineral grey mustang cobra), but I want something a little more showy on the porsche, so I think I've settled on sapphire blue...but I'll admit that both graphite blue metallic and lava orange interest me.
Old 11-03-2015, 02:03 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,321 Likes on 745 Posts

Would someone really not buy a Porsche, if they liked everything else about the car, just because of the location of the exhaust tips? Seriously?

I'm fairly **** about most things but if i really liked the car this would not be a deal breaker.
Old 11-03-2015, 02:06 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 931 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by Penn4S
Would someone really not buy a Porsche, if they liked everything else about the car, just because of the location of the exhaust tips? Seriously?

I'm fairly **** about most things but if i really liked the car this would not be a deal breaker.
You'll never see them when you're driving, but you'll certainly hear them.
Old 11-03-2015, 02:44 PM
Chubby Racer
Advanced

Strange statement to make considering we're talking about a brand new vehicle where I have the option of where the exhaust tips reside.

But to answer your question: yes. Curb appeal is one of the reasons I "really like the car" and that exhaust takes away from it.
Old 11-03-2015, 03:02 PM
gloom
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chubby Racer
Strange statement to make considering we're talking about a brand new vehicle where I have the option of where the exhaust tips reside.

But to answer your question: yes. Curb appeal is one of the reasons I "really like the car" and that exhaust takes away from it.
I'm with you on this: I have ordered a 991.2 C2S and decided NOT to tick the sport exhaust option just to avoid getting the dual centered tailpipes. Quad tailpipes are also pretty much the only visual distinction between a S vs. a base.
Old 11-03-2015, 03:05 PM
captainkirk
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Could you tell the Dealer to give you PSE without those exhaust and use the 991.1 PSE exhaust? I am sure it would fit properly?

Would the company satisfy a request like that?
Old 11-03-2015, 08:53 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Sorry sound aside because the comment was not about sound I still don't get it. My job is all about esthetics, creativity and fashion and if I really liked the car the placement of the exhaust tips, unless they were coming out of the roof, would not be a deal breaker.
I think we get caught up in reasons not to do something. If this was about sound no problem. The placement of the tips won't affect that. I'm all for the best exhaust sound possible and it doesn't have to be OEM for me to like it.
Old 11-03-2015, 09:15 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Sorry sound aside because the comment was not about sound I still don't get it. My job is all about esthetics, creativity and fashion and if I really liked the car the placement of the exhaust tips, unless they were coming out of the roof, would not be a deal breaker. I think we get caught up in reasons not to do something. If this was about sound no problem. The placement of the tips won't affect that. I'm all for the best exhaust sound possible and it doesn't have to be OEM for me to like it.
Re "roof" comment. Does that mean you don't like the exhaust placement in the 918?
Old 11-03-2015, 09:19 PM
Chubby Racer
Advanced

Sorry sound aside because the comment was not about sound I still don't get it. My job is all about esthetics, creativity and fashion and if I really liked the car the placement of the exhaust tips, unless they were coming out of the roof, would not be a deal breaker.
I think we get caught up in reasons not to do something. If this was about sound no problem. The placement of the tips won't affect that. I'm all for the best exhaust sound possible and it doesn't have to be OEM for me to like it.
For $150,000, I don't see why I couldn't decide not to buy the car because I don't like how the name is pronounced. that's significan coin to lay out for something with features I need to "get over." The look of the car, from the *** end, is part and parcel with my "liking" of the car. I fail to see how this is confusing to someone who's all about aesthetics.
Old 11-03-2015, 09:27 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,147 Likes on 687 Posts

Sounds like Chubby is all about aesthetics too. He doesn't like the location of the tips and the way it looks. For him, that is a good enough reason not to buy. If you are spending that kind of money, you should be in love with all of the car, not just 95% of it.
Old 11-03-2015, 09:54 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

No more comments. Not my car, everybody has to make their own choices to be happy.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:07 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Need4S
Re "roof" comment. Does that mean you don't like the exhaust placement in the 918?
Seriously?
Old 11-04-2015, 02:34 AM
fester
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 63 Posts

Seriously?
Yes..it does qualify as a roof exhaust
Old 11-04-2015, 02:36 AM
fastdiablo
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I like the tailpipes and grill -it's different but certainly tasteful. Take a look at the 356 for a while. If you develop an appreciation for the 356, you can see what they did w the 991.2, and imho, it's a cool tribute. Same way the 991.1 sport design ducktail is a tribute to the RS. If you don't see the 356 in the 991.2, maybe learn your history
Old 11-04-2015, 09:59 AM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm sorry but I think from a graphics design perspective there is a fundamental difference in outer placement and center placement.

In a 911 in particular the outer placement emphasizes that the car in essentially a half circle planted on the road, with a strong element of being wide at the bottom.

Center placement draws the eye into an illusion of the whole thing being a tube (with a somewhat compressed bottom half). It lifts the car off the ground and makes it appear less planted.

If I want to move around in a tube I'll take the subway.

Quick Reply: New to porsche, don't like look of 991.2 sport exhaust