Sponsored by:

Rattles, creaks and squeaks

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 07:14 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Rattles, creaks and squeaks

Has the 991 had more problems with these kinds of annoying noises than other 911s? Part of the reason I bought the car was that my 1st generation Cayman S has had 0 problems (knock on wood) and felt solid as a rock.

I took my 991 in for rattles on the door, then by the speaker area, and then the seatbelt area. With the seatbelt they said they replaced the whole unit and agreed it was creaking. I picked up the car and now the seat itself seems to be creaking/squeaking whenever you lean forward or back or just touch the lever to lower or raise the seat.

Fortunately the car is still under warranty, but all these annoying noises are starting to bother me. I'll keep my fingers crossed this will be the last fix. My car has less than 5,000 miles and I'm planning to keep it for years, but these constant noises are causing me to question whether the car is as well built as I was expecting. Are rattles and noises a known issue with the car? I'm aware of Nick Murray's problems and realize a few noises are nothing compared to that, but I'm just a little disappointed.
Old 10-29-2015, 07:27 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

I know some DIY fixes have been posted. It would be nice to have them consolidated somewhere.

Common areas: B pillar seatbelt area. Rear speaker door panel as well. I think rear windows too. Some have noted headliner above rear window too.

Anyone have links to fixes?
Old 10-29-2015, 08:49 PM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 52 Posts

I've been chasing rattles and squeaks in my Targa since I got it. Agree that it's disappointing, I'm used to a higher level of fit and finish on these cars.
Old 10-29-2015, 08:54 PM
gbree
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

I have one in my door and in the left side of my dash. Pretty frustrating. Is it worth taking it to the dealer, or is it unlikely that they will find the issue?
Old 10-29-2015, 09:24 PM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by gbree
I have one in my door and in the left side of my dash. Pretty frustrating. Is it worth taking it to the dealer, or is it unlikely that they will find the issue?
Well, my dealer fixed one in my dash - the key is getting it easily reproducible for them.
Old 10-29-2015, 10:00 PM
gusp
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It depends. How good is your dealer?

I told them I'm not sure where the rattle is coming from, but it's in the rear and kind of hard to reproduce. When I got my car back, I completely expected a shrug like sorry we couldn't find it. Instead, I got this description on the paperwork:

CUSTOMER STATES THERE IS A RATTLE IN THE LEFT REAR INTERIOR. RATTLE WAS COMING FROM THE RIGHT REAR C-PILLAR. PULLED THE REAR CARPET AND THE RIGHT REAR C-PILLAR TRIM. INSULATED BETWEEN THE TRIM PIECES AND THE BODY OF THE CAR. ALSO PUT EXTREME PRESSURE GREASE ON THE CLIPS OF THE PANEL. TEST DROVE TO MAKE SURE THE RATTLE IS GONE.
Old 10-29-2015, 10:10 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

My dealer has fixed the problems I mentioned, but I'm very disappointed they didn't notice the fact the noise is actually worse after the fix than before since maybe the seatbelt creak covered the one from the seat. Apparently they didn't test after the fix to make sure it stopped making noise.

If the dealer says he identified and fixed the noise make sure you double check they actually fixed it.
Old 10-29-2015, 10:57 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

This is a little disconcerting I've been contemplating moving to a 991, one reason being my 997.1 interior finish (painted-plastic parts, seat leather, and some others) is not aging well, and there have been rattles since the day I got it. The sunroof has been taken apart at least 4 times, 3 by the dealer and one by an indie, and still when I go over a bump it sounds like I have a stack of plywood from Lowe's strapped to the roof.

OTOH my '03 Merc e-class was squeak- and rattle-free the entire 12 years/130K miles I owned it.

I guess it's just naive of me to hope Porsche might have improved the interior materials and fit-and-finish. It's all about lowering costs and improving profits
Old 10-30-2015, 11:01 AM
blschaefer1
Instructor

My '14 981 Cayman S was a rattle trap. The rear hatch is a design liability in that car. A huge source of frustration - it creaked, moaned, and rattled incessently despite numerous trips to the dealer.

My '14 C2S was much better, but still had some sporadic irritating rattles and interior noises. Then I bought a second set of wheels and mounted Michelin Pilot Super Sports. To my surprise, the vast majority of my interior rattles are now GONE and the interior is MUCH quieter, to the point that you can actually hear the PSE with great clarity.

My opinion - the stock P Zeros create a resonance that 'amplifies' the rattles. If they are driving you nuts, try a set of MPSS's and your car will be significantly quieter inside.
Old 10-30-2015, 11:13 AM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 439 Posts

My 1987 Carrera was rattle free. Every car since has had interior noises with my previous 997 being the worst. It is what it is. I found that a good directional microphone with a set of headphones helps determine where the noises are coming from but honestly I don't bother anymore. If I want quiet I drive one of my other cars.
Old 10-30-2015, 11:35 AM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 180 Likes on 120 Posts

I have given up with my rattles. It's like playing whack-a-mole.
Door, seat beat, door pillar, dashboard, sunroof, seat back lever, speaker...

Fortunately, unlike a few others, I have not had my fuel tank and strut mount squeak and rattle.

Of the three 911's that I've owned, this 991 is the only one that rattles without fail.
Probably a result of too much plastic on plastic.
Old 10-30-2015, 11:40 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,012 Likes on 473 Posts

Honestly I think mostly every new car coming out has rattles. My 15 rover supercharged (and most of them) have creaky seats pretty much from the get go (though fantastic reliability overall). My mothers 2015 full leather c4s has rattles here and there, mainly stemming from sound system and probably some road noise from the pirellis (every time I put on michelin tires on any car many rattles seem to calm down. Overall I don't mind as much in a sports car but ya, Id like if things were done just a little bit better.
Old 10-30-2015, 11:40 AM
woodrow
Instructor

Default 2015 991 GTS RATTLE & SQUEEKS

I TOO HAVE THE GREMLINS , THE CAR IS FINE ON SMOOTH ROADS , BUMPY AND CHOPPY ROADS NOT ! MY DEALER FOUND THE RATTLE BEHIND THE INSTRUMENT CLUSTER , THE RATTLES COMING FROM THE REAR THE DEALER ORDERED A NEW HEADLINER , NOT YET INSTALLED BUT I THINK ITS SOMETHING ELSE PERSONALLY, GLAD ITS UNDER WARRANTY I HATE RATTLES AND SQUEEKS...MY AUDI RS5 ALSO HAD A FEW ISSUES SO ITS NOT JUST PORSCHE...CHEERS

Last edited by woodrow; 10-30-2015 at 11:41 AM. Reason: IM A DUMMY
Old 10-30-2015, 12:22 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,181 Likes on 709 Posts

All part of the Porsche ownership experience, unfortunately.
Old 10-30-2015, 12:40 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

I have been lucky so far with my 2015 GTS. No noticeable rattles so far. I had three previous 997's, and only one had any significant rattles. They are pretty solid cars, but combination of stiff suspension and low profile tires is going to generate some rattles.

Quick Reply: Rattles, creaks and squeaks