Sponsored by:

PSE

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 06:09 AM
mrchua
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is confusing...

But here is how I understand it, correct me if I'm wrong...

Levels of Loudness in Ascending order during Revs: (5 being the loudest)

1. Carrera - Non Sport - Non PSE
2. Carrera - Non Sport - PSE On
3. Carrera S - Sport On - Non PSE
4. Carrera S - Sport Off - PSE On
5. Carrera S - Sport On - PSE On
Old 10-29-2015, 10:43 AM
Mlbraptor
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All I know is ; I love my PSE...
Old 10-29-2015, 01:05 PM
Cristophosphorus
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mrchua
This is confusing...

But here is how I understand it, correct me if I'm wrong...

Levels of Loudness in Ascending order during Revs: (5 being the loudest)

1. Carrera - Non Sport - Non PSE
2. Carrera - Non Sport - PSE On
3. Carrera S - Sport On - Non PSE
4. Carrera S - Sport Off - PSE On
5. Carrera S - Sport On - PSE On

When you say "Non Sport" or "Sport On/Off," are you referring to the Sport button on the center console? If so, from what I understand, the Sport button doesn't control the exhaust volume.

On 991s, the Sport button controls the sound symposer valve that allows more intake noise into the cabin. So, the only thing getting louder with the Sport button "ON" is the cabin noise. PSE's loudness doesn't change.

Of course, Sport does open the PSE valves automatically, so you'd have to close the valves if you want the car to remain quiet while enjoying the increased throttle sensitivity and mapping, etc.
Old 10-29-2015, 06:36 PM
thomnellie
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
I wish we could have PSE on during cold starts because I like scaring small children and women.
You mean it doesn't? Whenever I start the damn thing cold, birds flock off, rabbits flee, small children run in terror and my neighbors get more irritable with me than usual.
Old 10-29-2015, 06:43 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,391 Likes on 2,510 Posts

Originally Posted by thomnellie
You mean it doesn't? Whenever I start the damn thing cold, birds flock off, rabbits flee, small children run in terror and my neighbors get more irritable with me than usual.
If you notice at cold start, when the car runs at high idle for about 45 seconds, the PSE button doesn't really change the exhaust note till it comes off that high idle.
Old 10-29-2015, 09:10 PM
mrchua
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Cristophosphorus
When you say "Non Sport" or "Sport On/Off," are you referring to the Sport button on the center console? If so, from what I understand, the Sport button doesn't control the exhaust volume.

On 991s, the Sport button controls the sound symposer valve that allows more intake noise into the cabin. So, the only thing getting louder with the Sport button "ON" is the cabin noise. PSE's loudness doesn't change.

Of course, Sport does open the PSE valves automatically, so you'd have to close the valves if you want the car to remain quiet while enjoying the increased throttle sensitivity and mapping, etc.

Im sure I read somewhere in this forum that its the other way around... The PSE button is the Sound Symposer. No added HP power, no added aggressiveness in revs etc.., it does produce louder sound though.

On the other hand, The Sport Button (on Carrera S models with Sport Exhaust w/o PSE), makes a louder exhaust sound and makes the throttle & revs more aggressive. I know this for a fact because my 991 is spec'd like this.
Old 10-29-2015, 09:31 PM
Cristophosphorus
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Im sure I read somewhere in this forum that its the other way around... The PSE button is the Sound Symposer. No added HP power, no added aggressiveness in revs etc.., it does produce louder sound though.

On the other hand, The Sport Button (on Carrera S models with Sport Exhaust w/o PSE), makes a louder exhaust sound and makes the throttle & revs more aggressive. I know this for a fact because my 991 is spec'd like this.
It may be the case for non-PSE cars. But based on his post and my attempt to understand his question, it's definitely not the same for PSE-equipped cars.

On a PSE-equipped Carrera S, the PSE exhaust button only opens and closes the valves. The Sport/Sport Plus buttons change engine mapping, throttle sensitivity, shift points, and sound symposer settings.

I had no idea that non-PSE cars come with a "PSE" or exhaust button. Is that so?

Edit: Misread your original post regarding my last line above. The rest still stands, though!
Old 10-29-2015, 09:38 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,860 Likes on 1,902 Posts

On a non-PSE car, the sport button doesn't do anything whatsoever to the exhaust sound.

On a PSE car when you press the sport button, it also turns on the PSE button. Simple as that. The sport button itself has nothing to do with the exhaust.

And PSE is NOT the sound symposer. PSE relates to the exhaust itself and the valves inside the exhaust that open and close. The sound symposer is a diaphragm between the engine bay and the cabin. Two totally different things
Old 10-29-2015, 09:50 PM
jw1977
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm confused, there is a sport exhaust system that's not PSE?
Old 10-29-2015, 11:00 PM
mrchua
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jw1977
What do you call the Exhaust (quad pipes) installed on the S models versus the squarish exhaust installed on the Base models?
Old 10-29-2015, 11:01 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by jw1977
No, there is PSE and the standard exhaust.
Old 10-29-2015, 11:02 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

What do you call the Exhaust (quad pipes) installed on the S models versus the squarish exhaust installed on the Base models?
Those are just tips. The exhausts are different but both are non sport unless you have PSE.
Old 10-31-2015, 06:36 AM
mikeearly
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
On a non-PSE car, the sport button doesn't do anything whatsoever to the exhaust sound.
That may be true but to my ear, and many of my friends, we can hear a difference in the car from inside and outside the car when the sport button is pushed. And you don't have to announce you are pressing the button - so it is not a "oh it must have changed" reaction.

That was true on my 981 Boxster S and is true on my 991 Carrera S.

Maybe it is engine "music" and not a true decibel sound level increase but it is different.
Old 10-31-2015, 08:36 AM
larspronne
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ageee, my 2S w PSE gets louder when pressing the Sport button too. independent from the PSE button.
Old 10-31-2015, 10:05 AM
oalvarez
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Homeles
This discussion is giving me a headache, just like the 843 posts like this before it.
Why do a search!?!

What's even better are the countless responses that are the same as the first one!

Good grief.

Quick Reply: PSE