Sponsored by:

How to do a long distance 991 purchase

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 03:12 AM
ben2ee
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to do a long distance 991 purchase

Just started looking for a 991 coupe. I'm in Western Washington where Porsche deals are few and far between. 3 dealers in the state with sky high used prices. If you've found a good deal in Wa, let me know how, otherwise I have to look further from home.

I've seen a few on Cars.com for 57k+ with fairly low miles. Even an S or two. I assume you check the carfax, ask for high res pics etc, negotiate a price pending a pre-purchase inspection at a local shop, figure out how to get it shipped.

Assuming you haven't flown to see the car in person, how does one do the transaction remotely ? Time off is tough for me. I hate the idea of buying sight unseen but at the same time, hopefully the pre-purchase inspection can give you some objective evaluation. The cars I'm looking at have under 20K so hopefully it's a lower risk situation (most are one owner cars, clean carfax etc) Anyone got a reliable formula ? Any common gocha's on not-that-used 911's ?

Also wondering if waiting for the 991.2 to hit the dealerships would bring down used prices.

Recommend a car shipping company ?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-26-2015, 04:29 AM
mmaturo
Racer

Prices are fine as is, do not wait...it will always be better ten minutes from now but when do you want to drive it? Cars depreciate, if you get a good deal just do it, yes in 4 months you can peel another 10 k off but um yup you still didn't drive it...do a check over at a dealership the PPI but more importantly and ask kindly here or elsewhere on p car forums for someone to put honest eyeballs on it to get across the actual condition...under 20K though it will be ok but the eyes on it will tell you about re-sprays on bumpers or extra wear. I have done it a few times for people, and it was important. They were skips. That said I have two cars in my garage today (one the R8 GT....take that for stress sight unseen 3 months used from the first owner but it came from an Audi dealership double checked) that came across country sight unseen, 4 in my past that way. All are excellent. Get them checked and just see if someone will put an eye on it. Shipping is another thread. Closed carrier period and good luck there.
Old 10-26-2015, 04:40 AM
beaverlake
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Join PCA. Contact local members and ask about the car, about taking a look at the car, about local shops for the PPI. Just like the Rennlisters there are a lot of really helpful PCA members.
Old 10-26-2015, 04:59 AM
ben2ee
Track Day

Sounds like good advice. I'll have to read up on how to spot re-spray. I'm sure the extra wear part would require experience. I found this one which looked appealing.
http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/de...1767/overview/

Even a few GTS's out there under 80K.
http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/de...4646/overview/
Granted this last one is a 4 GTS. Not sure if those are as desirable. I'm in Washington but get relatively few true 4wd weather days.
Old 10-26-2015, 05:54 AM
mmaturo
Racer

The respray is just running a finger across all areas...I spent two hours with a car without noticing but when I opened the door once it moaned a little...that means dust in the hinge...ran my fingers around the front fender with the door open (bingo) and down the front hood and yup it felt rough on the driver side vs the passenger side and then feeling around the front bumper it had texture differences in spots, and clearly an edge left by a tape edge in one spot. Always feel around gaps, and edges. It should be smooth. And it should be symmetrical. If you feel something on one side of the car and not the other dig deeper. The good body shops remove the overspray in gaps near the repair and the stiff lines where tape was, but if not there is plenty more cars to look at.
Old 10-26-2015, 07:19 AM
TrappistMonk
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ben2ee
Just started looking for a 991 coupe.
the cars you are looking at are most likely 997 coupes, not 991 coupes
Old 10-26-2015, 08:04 AM
Michael_s
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

The fist link is a scam. No way 991 S for 57K. Don't fall for that crap.

Suggestion - get your *** on a plane and go see the car you line up to buy..... save yourself a headache.

PS - you posted 2 different models. 997 and 991.... did you know that?
Old 10-26-2015, 01:01 PM
ben2ee
Track Day

Ah, I see. I just assumed a 2012 GTS was a 991. I see that's not the case. Sounds like you need to move up to 2015 to get a 991 GTS and that likely separates that option from my price range. Unless they have the current lease deal going on those (I need to find out more on that) they're out of the picture. And thanks for the heads up on the C2S 991. I did notice it was missing much in the way of details. The listing is gone in any case.

This one isn't impossibly far for me to drive and see. Before I got overexcited about a C2S or GTS, I had my eyes on it.

http://clients.automanager.com/02104...2a8726ef5e4ce/

I also need to check out lease options. Barrier in Bellevue had a C2. 5kmi/yr 6500 down, 1k/month. Not sure the MF. I'll have to shop around some. Sounds like lease deals vary quite a bit but I can't see it making sense to ship a lease car back and forth.
Old 10-26-2015, 01:33 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 114 Posts

First of all you have to decide what is it you want and why.
All weather, daily driver, C2, C4, C2S, C4S, a CPO'd car, etc..
Also remember that 2012 had two models in the same year (997 and 991).
Then decide what color, options, suspension, leather, sunroof you can't live without.
There is a huge $$ difference between a Base 991 and a GTS.

Also take a look at this extremely useful thread as a reference.
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8636...-the-week.html

I have bought and sold cars from half way across the country and it is easy.
It never ceases to amaze me how helpful people are when it comes to looking at a car for you or recommending an indy mechanic to look at the car on your behalf.

A few hundred dollars to an Indy are well-worth the peace of mind.

There are literally hundreds of 991's for sale and don't let distance get in the way of your perfect car.
Old 10-26-2015, 02:49 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If you are spending $60, $70K (you don't state your budget) then it's worth a few hundred bucks for a PPI, right? No-brainer. By the same token, get a round-trip ticket (if it's too far to drive back) and do the deal in person, check out the car, give them the check, get a key and the title, and then fly home, have it shipped back.

Surely there are plenty in Northern CA that aren't too far to go pick up and drive home on the weekend? Surely you can get a day off. Surely you can find a car locally. Surely, surely, there are alternatives. Yeah, I know, don't call me Shirley. You are making it too difficult for yourself.

I've bought cars long distance, two I flew up and drove back, one I bought sight-unseen (just pics) and had shipped home. Any used car is going to have issues. Be careful, follow all of the advice here, and you'll be fine.
Old 10-26-2015, 03:08 PM
ben2ee
Track Day

Under 60 would be great. For the brief time I thought a 991 GTS could be had just over 70 I thought it would be worthwhile but I think a C2 would be fine. In a high tax state like Washington, it doesn't pay to change cars too often unless you lease. I was initially looking for a 997.1, then 997.2 then 991 so I've crept up in price. This would be a daily driver for a 4 day a week commute.

I could certainly head down to the Bay Area to shop as well but time is pretty scarce. New job etc.

Duxsi thanks for the link. I did spot a few C2S's for low 60's but the S is not a must have for me.
Old 10-26-2015, 03:27 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 114 Posts

You are welcome.
For a year round daily driver in Washington (Rain / sleet / snow), perhaps a C4 or C4S would meet your needs.
But I doubt you'll find a 991 for under 60k just yet.
Old 10-26-2015, 03:39 PM
ben2ee
Track Day

I don't see many C4's for sale. Surely there are days when a C4 would be nice but my current 328 works 99+% of the time so a C2 should too. I do need to decide whether to pony a little extra for a C2S now that a GTS is off the table.

Quick Reply: How to do a long distance 991 purchase