Sponsored by:

Park Brake Warning Light

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 03:02 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 233 Posts
Default Park Brake Warning Light

Started my 991 up yesterday in a parking lot and the red "Brake" light in the tach was flashing. When I released the parking brake a message saying "Parking Brake Fault" came on. The brake was disengaged, but a small yellow message "Park Brake" in a yellow box came on in the lower central display. I tried engaging it and releasing it a few times but it kept returning. Drove 5 minutes to my place and the message disappeared. Tried operating it through several more cycles and it did not re-appear. Drove home today (hit 150 mph on the Autobahn, there was traffic) and still no repeats.

I have an appointment on Wednesday to get winter tires put on and will ask the dealer to look at the computer history and the e-brake system.

Anyone experience this? Car is a 2014 991
Old 12-10-2015, 11:26 PM
silversol
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two week old (for me) two-year old CPO 991 911 C2S. Brake pads were replaced just before I collected the car. Have been using ebrake all the time, without incident. Tonight, same issue as above. Passenger (my wife) not impressed ! Turned car on, released ebrake , but yellow dash warning light (and full panel warning about ebrake on the variable dash display) was showing. Driving, there didn't seem to be much drag, so I drove home at 80 km/h on the highway (20 minutes). Stopped at a red light, shut off the car, restarted and the error was still there. Then I cycled the ebrake on and off and ended up with a red exclamation mark instead which disappeared after a few seconds, leaving me with no warnings. I am assuming that means the ebrake is no longer working at all, because I didn't hear the standard whine. Certainly, I am not going to test fate by trying it again.
When I got home, checked - no heat or smell at all out of the back brakes or behind them, so unlikely that it was stuck on to any extent.
I do recall the ebrake sticking on for a second when I backed out a few days ago.
I'll park without it until I can get the dealer to check it (2-3 weeks likely).
I'll let you know what he finds.
Old 12-11-2015, 12:56 AM
SMZ
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The first night I had my car (brand new) I got a fault with the parking brake. The light wouldn't turn off regardless of what I did to try to trick it. It clearly wasn't engaged when I was driving it, though. Needless to say the dealer was very attentive and got it fixed ASAP. It was described to me as a problem with the fuse. No issues since. The shop write up is attached.
Old 12-11-2015, 02:16 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 233 Posts

Interesting...I haven't had it repeat so hopefully a minor issue.
Old 12-31-2015, 01:25 AM
silversol
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the parallel posts.
Not sure why a sports car needs an electronic parking brake, other than it frees up space beside the console to get at the control buttons. There is certainly enough tech on the car already......
SMZ's repair looks like more than a fuse - replaced the whole parking brake control unit, if I read the work order correctly.
In my case, I finally got to the dealer today (waited for a loaner to become available). Avoided using the e-brake for the last three weeks. They tested it while I was there, and although there was a "stale" fault code, nothing that would dictate changing anything. The e-brake was working fine. Got the car back without ever leaving the dealership, with no repair. Got a car wash/detail, a decafe espresso and a free litre of oil in the frunk (in a zipper case), so not a total waste of time.
However, now I do not totally trust the e-brake. Will just have to see if it was an isolated issue, or if it will reappear. I will post if problem comes back.
Old 12-31-2015, 01:30 AM
drmatara
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

It happened to me too, but went away and it's working fine now
Old 07-15-2016, 02:02 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I got this yesterday... sat down in the car (it was 100 out but I was parked in the shade, so I don't know if the heat might have been an issue), turned the key to on (not start) and got two yellow cautions:

-Parking break fault
-Auto Stop Start not Available

I first tried releasing/re-engaging the parking brake, I could hear it whirring but the faults didn't go away, so I turned the key off and back on, this time everything worked fine with no faults or issues.

Anyone else get intermittant faults with the parking brake?
Old 07-16-2016, 02:05 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 289 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewinator
I got this yesterday... sat down in the car (it was 100 out but I was parked in the shade, so I don't know if the heat might have been an issue), turned the key to on (not start) and got two yellow cautions:

-Parking break fault
-Auto Stop Start not Available

I first tried releasing/re-engaging the parking brake, I could hear it whirring but the faults didn't go away, so I turned the key off and back on, this time everything worked fine with no faults or issues.

Anyone else get intermittant faults with the parking brake?
I too am having an ongoing issue w the ebrake which engages/disengages correctly but the red lights flash quickly which according to the manual indicates it is not correct. Shop foreman tried unsuccessfully to reset wi the shop computer. He said the parking brake computer does not like the setting of the brake even though brake is set correctly. Next step is to bring it in again.
Jim
Old 07-17-2016, 12:15 AM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I hope in 10 years these cars aren't like planes where you have to acknowledge 376 different nuisance cautions every time you start engines.
Old 07-17-2016, 03:14 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 289 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewinator
I hope in 10 years these cars aren't like planes where you have to acknowledge 376 different nuisance cautions every time you start engines.
.......'30 computers that run the car' I was told
J
Old 01-01-2023, 01:36 PM
merbesfield
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 5 fault codes this am in my Carrera T

2018 991.2 Carrera T 2,500 miles

5 Fault codes this am:
Sterring lock fault
Reat axle steering fault
Parking brake fault
ABS Failure
Engine Control fault

Clearly something tripped these fault codes. Car starts fine. Drives fine. Don’t notice anything out of ordinary.
Old 01-01-2023, 02:38 PM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Received 651 Likes on 344 Posts

@merbesfield - most likely the battery going (from lack of driving…).
Old 01-01-2023, 03:34 PM
NF4710
Pro

Received 195 Likes on 120 Posts

I’ve had the parking brake fault a few times - usually when the battery was in a lower state of charge. Agree w above that the battery is the first thing to check.

NF
The following 2 users liked this post by NF4710:
CoolBreeze3646 (01-01-2023), merbesfield (01-24-2024)

Quick Reply: Park Brake Warning Light