Sponsored by:

Crazy DMV ream/fees

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 10:20 PM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Please spread the word. High taxes, liberals, drought, earthquakes, mudslides... Tell everyone. They'll hate it here. Don't come.
Good advice. I wouldn't but I have 2 contracts in the SF Bay area that pay me ridiculous amounts of $$ due to the liberal union contracts. And that's not including the kickbacks that are a staple of life in the Communist state
Old 10-20-2015, 11:30 PM
Car25
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by STG991
Yearly registration in WI. Under $100, even with my personalized plates

5.6% sales tax too
I have property and cars in both WI and CA. WI property tax rates are high, CA rates are lower. CA makes up for it in other ways like the income tax and car registration fees.

WI has (or had) the lowest tax in US on alcohol though.
Old 10-21-2015, 12:05 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Seriously, our drought has now reached biblical terms and any day a quake could wipe out the entire state and turn Nevada into the new La Jolla. And if the wildfires don't get you, the mudslides that follow during El Nino surely will. The schools are horrible, the crime is rampant, and we have sharks, rattlesnakes, spiders and now even Lyme disease has arrived. You will surely die if you come to California. And if all that doesn't get you, the high cost of living will bleed you dry and the liberal government will tax what's left in your meager estate when you're old and grey. It's hell on earth I tell you. You would hate it here.

Then again, there are those 300 or so 65 degree perfectly sunny, not a cloud in the sky days each year, and the beaches, and the mountains, and those awesome racetracks, and some of the best driving roads in the U.S., and a vibrant economy, and high paying jobs, and no $800 electric bills from running three air conditioners to cool the McMansion, and never having to warm the car up or scrape ice off the windshield on a winter morning (what exactly is winter again?)...did I just say all that out loud?
Old 10-21-2015, 12:12 AM
Car25
Instructor

Originally Posted by Homeles
I'll stay on the right coast!
I only like the part of the right coast that is north of the Mason Dumb-A** line.

Last edited by Car25; 10-21-2015 at 12:30 AM.
Old 10-21-2015, 12:18 AM
Car25
Instructor

Originally Posted by Archimedes

Then again, there are those 300 or so 65 degree perfectly sunny, not a cloud in the sky days each year, and the beaches, and the mountains, and those awesome racetracks, and some of the best driving roads in the U.S., and a vibrant economy, and high paying jobs, and no $800 electric bills from running three air conditioners to cool the McMansion, and never having to warm the car up or scrape ice off the windshield on a winter morning (what exactly is winter again?)...did I just say all that out loud?
Yep it's a step down in all directions from the Bay Area.
Old 10-21-2015, 04:02 AM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What's an Arizona? Or a North Carolina?
Old 10-21-2015, 09:14 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,403 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Valkuri
Pffft. Government officials lie to us; the OP will lie on an official government document. In a completely untraceable fashion.
Don't think of it as law breaking; think of it as sort of a 'yin & yang' thing.

There is, BTW a solution to the obscene taxes and fees people get stuck with in California, not to mention Illinois and New York.
Its called 'Arizona'.
I don't care what politicians do. Its about being a man, accepting you screwed up, and having some morals.

If you want to bring yourself down to the level of the scum in political office, thats your business, but I won't be doing it.

Also, you can keep arizona. not interested.
Old 10-21-2015, 07:06 PM
Valkuri
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Illinois is nice if you live along Sheridan Road or in Hinsdale .
I lived just south of Hinsdale in Burr Ridge. Same demographic, but 2 acre wooded lots. You are correct on both points.
My family arrived in Chicago a little over 100 years ago as Slovak immigrants, and have lived the typical immigrant American dream. It is no longer, however a pleasant place to live for a variety of reasons. Those lovely homes along Sheridan Road, for example are all paying $45-85,000 per year in property taxes. I personally resent being gouged, while 8% of all of the employees for Cook County are out on permanent disability (true story), for example. Most of whom enjoy second jobs.
There is a 'perfect' place for everyone to live. Fortunately, it is not all the same place for all of us.
Old 10-21-2015, 07:10 PM
Valkuri
Burning Brakes

Also, you can keep arizona. not interested.
Excellent! That should keep a nice 1800 mile gap between the two of us.
Enjoy your taxes.
Old 10-21-2015, 07:17 PM
Valkuri
Burning Brakes

Where in AZ? Nice
Far away from the Phoenix Metroplex.
No more Traffic reports or endless strip malls for me, thanks. Life's too short for that.
Old 12-19-2015, 09:07 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,308 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
DMV, taxes, etc., just an idea but here is a generalization of a loophole with lots of specifics that I will skip. Establish an LLC (S or C) selling widgets in a low tax state (that is not your own). The LLC buys the car (registered, titled, tagged in that state). You drive the car in your own state while paying the fees etc., in the state it is registered. This is probably just on the right side of being legal, and then you have to figure out insurance. I am not sure how much money you end up saving but it is an option. I think that really wealthy people with lots of high priced cars do this as a tax minimization practice.
Anyone else do this?

I just moved to LA. I purchased both my P-cars in the last year. I was trying to fill out some registration forms today, and I get the distinct feeling that California is going to try to make me pay them some sales tax on cars for which I already paid sales tax in another state. Yes, it was within the last year, but still I already paid taxes on those cars.

If I have to pay California sales tax on over $200,000 worth of Porsches I already paid for, I am not going to be happy and may try this LLC thing.
Old 12-20-2015, 08:27 AM
trysixty
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hothonda
TTL fees in WA State depending on county...10-12%
TTL are pretty high in WA on purchase, but the yearly registration fee on my car is only $56. My dog's licence is $5.50/year, but at least it goes to helping animals instead of helping incompetent state employees screw up everything they touch. How you lik'in 405 down there in Kink County??
Old 12-20-2015, 01:11 PM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 86 Posts

In Virginia our tax is roughly 4% but after the initial sales tax it turns into an annual property tax - yes, we pay the 4% every year!

I'm in the DC area and it's common for people to tag their cars in Maryland, where there is no property tax, and then house the car in VA. This works okay until you get caught (i.e. get pulled over for speeding, hand them a VA driver's license with MD plates).
Old 12-20-2015, 01:17 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabs1542
In Virginia our tax is roughly 4% but after the initial sales tax it turns into an annual property tax - yes, we pay the 4% every year!
What a joke. That should be criminal. I hear they patrol speeding like a communist country as well?
Old 12-20-2015, 01:45 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
Anyone else do this?

I just moved to LA. I purchased both my P-cars in the last year. I was trying to fill out some registration forms today, and I get the distinct feeling that California is going to try to make me pay them some sales tax on cars for which I already paid sales tax in another state. Yes, it was within the last year, but still I already paid taxes on those cars.

If I have to pay California sales tax on over $200,000 worth of Porsches I already paid for, I am not going to be happy and may try this LLC thing.
No, it's not legal, and driving around regularly in LA with Nevada plates is gonna get you caught eventually, if not very quickly. And don't forget, the annual LLC registration fee in most states is more than you'll pay in registration fees on a Porsche, so it makes no sense.

Quick Reply: Crazy DMV ream/fees