Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crazy DMV ream/fees

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 06:03 PM
pfan
Pro

Received 78 Likes on 46 Posts

Speaking of crazy DMV fees, my blood boils every time I'm reminded of the PNO (planned non-operation) fees here in CA. Believe it or not, if you elect not to register and operate your vehicle for the next year, you have the privilege of paying the DMV a fee. Gotta love it.
Old 10-20-2015, 02:20 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Hothonda
WA State is wise to this scheme & whether technically legal or not, you will spend significant legal costs trying to explain it to a judge.

It's a revenue thing.

Also speaking of license plates (front), meter maids in nearly all WA metro areas will give you an expensive love note
if the front plate is absent.
Meter maids, although I suppose they prefer "Parking Enforcement" here in the Bay Area, also ticket. I think the fee is around $35 - they'll even knock off $10 if you prove that you put a front plate on (yes, that was sarcastic). The thing is, here in CA I am pretty sure that no front plate are separate municipal and state violations. In Berkeley the fine is $35 written by a Meter Maid as a violation of the local vehicle code. If the CHP writes you up I have heard that the fine is ~$200. When I'm parked in a local jurisdiction (on a public street) that enforces no front plate I just use a bit of painters tape to affix the plate somewhere on the front of the car. In the absence of any local tickets I assume it has worked so far.
Old 10-20-2015, 02:54 PM
sandbar
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
When I'm parked in a local jurisdiction (on a public street) that enforces no front plate I just use a bit of painters tape to affix the plate somewhere on the front of the car. In the absence of any local tickets I assume it has worked so far.
That's actually a darn good idea. I'll start carrying the plate and tape with me for those quick needs. Thanks for the tip!
Old 10-20-2015, 03:11 PM
ufischer
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
DMV, taxes, etc., just an idea but here is a generalization of a loophole with lots of specifics that I will skip. Establish an LLC (S or C) selling widgets in a low tax state (that is not your own). The LLC buys the car (registered, titled, tagged in that state). You drive the car in your own state while paying the fees etc., in the state it is registered. This is probably just on the right side of being legal, and then you have to figure out insurance. I am not sure how much money you end up saving but it is an option. I think that really wealthy people with lots of high priced cars do this as a tax minimization practice.
Anything you would save in registration fees would likely be eaten up in extra insurance costs. Getting insurance in the name of a business is quite expensive, at least in Florida. The reason people register cars in the name of their business has more to do with tax savings based on full depreciation. Leases are particularly well-suited for this.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:38 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 36 Posts

I have read that states with low or no sales or income taxes have very high property taxes vs California ..they get you one way or the other

here in Calif, due to our " tax revolt" Prop 13 passed in 1978 , long time owners of many homes now worth say , 30 -50 million dollars , that they bought for half a million bucks 45 yrs ago pay much much less prop tax than a new homeowner who lives in half million dollar condo bought recently , but even then, once you buy , your assessed value cannot rise more than 2% per year ever, due to prop 13, even if value rises 10- 20 % in a year like many places here recently and the max property tax can never be higher than 1% of assessed value ..a SWEET deal for Bay Area and SoCal homeowners traditonal areas that will always have high and rising real estate values ...not so sweet for those inland , but outnumber them !

same goes for our commercial real estate ...many long time owners of now 100 + million dollar apt complexes pay almost nothing and are " printing money " raking in rents of $5000 per month for each tiny 2 bedroom apt

of course , our public infrastructure and our public schools went from top 5 nationally to eventually bottom 5 starting in ......1978 .

otoh, I have saved 1.5 million dollars on property taxes on my primary residence alone which I have owned for 20 yrs ...it is currently max-assessed at 1.6x what I paid for it, but its real market value is 7x what I paid !

folks in other states can call it the " Peoples Republik of California " all they want, but for property owners , we'll gladly pay a few hundred bucks more of DMV fees , etc., any any day , Lol !

Last edited by MKW; 10-20-2015 at 08:31 PM.
Old 10-20-2015, 08:44 PM
Valkuri
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

So you're going to lie on an official government document?
Pffft. Government officials lie to us; the OP will lie on an official government document. In a completely untraceable fashion.
Don't think of it as law breaking; think of it as sort of a 'yin & yang' thing.

There is, BTW a solution to the obscene taxes and fees people get stuck with in California, not to mention Illinois and New York.
Its called 'Arizona'.
Old 10-20-2015, 08:49 PM
Valkuri
Burning Brakes

I have read that states with low or no sales or income taxes have very high property taxes vs California
I've read that space aliens disguised as humans walk among us. But I don't believe everything I read, either.

My property taxes dropped EIGHTY PERCENT from Illinois to Arizona. My license fees doubled or so. Sales tax is 8 percent or so; yours?
And state income tax is nothing close to California nor New York. Worth. It.

I'm sure its worth it for all of those people now worth $25 million.
For the rest of us 98%, I'd rather blow my brains out than live in California.
Old 10-20-2015, 09:23 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Valkuri
Illinois is nice if you live along Sheridan Road or in Hinsdale .

Northern Arizona...Flagstaff in winter and Sedona in summer are very , very pretty .

I , unfortunately , live in California so must suffer driving the Pacific Coast Highway minutes from my front door so frequently need to get up to my place on Lake Tahoe when I get bored with The Ocean and need to rejuvenate myself at The Lake in the Sky .

Old 10-20-2015, 09:31 PM
Valkuri
Burning Brakes

Twelve minutes to work. No traffic. 38 mile mountain horizon.
Deep desert, near a large lake. Keeps the riff raff out of town.
To each his own.
Old 10-20-2015, 09:35 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Old 10-20-2015, 09:53 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

To each his own.

Scottsdale and environs demographically remind me of Blackhawk in the Bay Area or Barrington / Oak Brook in Chicagoland .

Taliesin West is a must see for all visitors
Old 10-20-2015, 10:04 PM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 84 Posts

I've read that space aliens disguised as humans walk among us. But I don't believe everything I read, either.

My property taxes dropped EIGHTY PERCENT from Illinois to Arizona. My license fees doubled or so. Sales tax is 8 percent or so; yours?
And state income tax is nothing close to California nor New York. Worth. It.

Ah, California. Land of fruits and nuts. Overpriced property and they think they've found their rainbow. NC=3% tax on cars, property taxes on a $1.3M house @ $2500, $600 for reg on a $130K car, Need I say more? I'll stay on the right coast!
Old 10-20-2015, 10:10 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

To each his own.
Where in AZ? Nice
Old 10-20-2015, 10:10 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Please spread the word. High taxes, liberals, drought, earthquakes, mudslides... Tell everyone. They'll hate it here. Don't come.
Old 10-20-2015, 10:18 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Please spread the word. High taxes, liberals, drought, earthquakes, mudslides... Tell everyone. They'll hate it here. Don't come.

I agree ....just give us your SF and Tahoe tourist dollars , then get the hell " outta here " like our local baseball home run call and your give- away ginormous sweat- panted rear ends are visually polluting to boot ...really !

Quick Reply: Crazy DMV ream/fees