Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter tires in the Pacific Northwest?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 01:05 PM
strumbringer
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Winter tires in the Pacific Northwest?

What do PNW rennlisters use for tires in the winter, given our weird winters?
Old 10-16-2015, 01:51 PM
Winegums
Instructor

I'm in BC, Canada and I'm running Conti DWS tires. There's hardly enough snow to warrant getting full blown winter tires and the snow never lasts more than a day or two anyways. So I run all seasons which cope with the lower temps and wet weather quite well. Grip levels aren't ideal with all seasons but they don't wear down quickly like winter tires and don't turn to bricks when it gets near freezing.
Old 10-16-2015, 02:35 PM
strumbringer
Instructor

Originally Posted by Winegums
I'm in BC, Canada and I'm running Conti DWS tires. There's hardly enough snow to warrant getting full blown winter tires and the snow never lasts more than a day or two anyways. So I run all seasons which cope with the lower temps and wet weather quite well. Grip levels aren't ideal with all seasons but they don't wear down quickly like winter tires and don't turn to bricks when it gets near freezing.
Great! That's what I was thinking too - dedicated snows will get chewed up (I tried it with Blizzaks, which lasted 1 winter :-P), so I'm hoping a good A/S tire (with a bias toward colder weather) would serve. Did you try any others before settling on the Conti DWS?
Old 10-16-2015, 03:25 PM
Winegums
Instructor

Originally Posted by strumbringer
Great! That's what I was thinking too - dedicated snows will get chewed up (I tried it with Blizzaks, which lasted 1 winter :-P), so I'm hoping a good A/S tire (with a bias toward colder weather) would serve. Did you try any others before settling on the Conti DWS?
Unfortunately no, I didn't get a chance to try any others.

I'm disappointed in the level of grip that the DWS offer and I would have much prefered Michelin A/S 3 tires but they were sold out at the time. They have a lot more dry grip that rivals some summer tires, as well as having excellent wear rating.

I'm just about to put new tires on my car and will be switching to Michelin A/S 3 tires.
Old 10-16-2015, 03:41 PM
strumbringer
Instructor

Hmm... when I search on the Tire Rack, I only find summer tires. I would have thought if A/S tires were available in the right size, they would show up. Where did you do your shopping?
Old 10-16-2015, 04:08 PM
Winegums
Instructor

http://www.michelin.co.uk/tyres/car-...tion=2&usage=1

Looks like Michelin doesn't produce 20" All seasons, but they do produce the PA4 in 20"
Old 10-16-2015, 05:22 PM
trysixty
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Over 45F and wet roads: PZero with TLC
Under 45F wet or dry roads: SUV while the Pcar rests in a nice warm garage.
Old 10-16-2015, 08:49 PM
PDX991
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by strumbringer
Hmm... when I search on the Tire Rack, I only find summer tires. I would have thought if A/S tires were available in the right size, they would show up. Where did you do your shopping?
I couldn't find AS too last year. I have an extra set of Sottozeros with about 2k miles on them if you want for $800 for a low investment trial through the winter. I'm in Portland.
Old 10-16-2015, 09:19 PM
Dgags
Racer

Received 227 Likes on 72 Posts

Only AS tires I found in the correct size are Toyo Proxes Four Plus. Ran them on my base C2 last year and they were ok. Rears were 295. I don't think the NW climate and dedicated winter tires are the best match.
Old 10-18-2015, 11:52 AM
strumbringer
Instructor

Thanks, dgags. Wish there were more tires in the right size. I agree that winters aren't a good match here, and this is my DD (so I don't want to drive it with summer tires b/c of the always wet / sometimes cold days).

Quick Reply: Winter tires in the Pacific Northwest?