Sponsored by:

My GTS needs a new engine after only 2,300 km

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 12:22 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
I always wonder what happened to all those GT3 engines. Did they really just throw them in a dumpster? ......or R there other plans for them
J
I guess only Porsche knows. The GT3 owners that had the "fire" engines replaced did get new engines. That was so early in production of the 991 GT3 that no remanufactured engines would have been available, and I don't think Porsche would have asked GT3 owners to accept a remanufactured engine in their brand new GT3. I am not sure Porsche ever confirmed for sure the exact problem with the engines that were replaced, but seems to be related to a bolt, maybe connecting rod bolt, that was not properly engineered. Either not strong enough or not torqued properly. If the engines that were removed could be brought up to correct design specifications, I suspect that was done, and they might be used as a replacement, re-manufactured engine, if a GT3 owner has an engine fail under warranty.

As others have stated, Porsche, along with other manufacturers, use remanufactured engines as replacements. Nothing inherently wrong with that as along as it represented as such.
Old 10-19-2015, 07:14 PM
todd92
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The great and powerful Oz has spoken, and he says Porsche does not use remanufactured engines. It's not worth debating, he finds you tiresome. Silence.
Old 10-19-2015, 08:05 PM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by todd92
The great and powerful Oz has spoken, and he says Porsche does not use remanufactured engines. It's not worth debating, he finds you tiresome. Silence.
It's almost 2016: we should all have learned by now.
Old 10-21-2015, 04:14 PM
Bucaro
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got an update from Porsche yesterday. The GTS engine is out of stock. I have to wait for them to manufacture a new one, which hopefully would happen by the end of this week. That at least confirms I'm getting a brand new engine...
Old 10-21-2015, 04:20 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,523 Likes on 2,301 Posts

Originally Posted by Bucaro
I got an update from Porsche yesterday. The GTS engine is out of stock. I have to wait for them to manufacture a new one, which hopefully would happen by the end of this week. That at least confirms I'm getting a brand new engine...
interesting, that *probably* suggests that all 991.1 production is over ...
Old 10-21-2015, 04:22 PM
JAM2
Rennlist Member

Received 421 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
interesting, that *probably* suggests that all 991.1 production is over ...
I would imagine it has to do with their Just-In-Time fulfillment process. As of last week, the majority of cars on the assembly line were 991.1 I only saw one one 991.2 in graphite blue, which was STUNNING! great color...
Old 10-21-2015, 04:25 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JAM2
I would imagine it has to do with their Just-In-Time fulfillment process. As of last week, the majority of cars on the assembly line were 991.1 I only saw one one 991.2 in graphite blue, which was STUNNING! great color...
agreed ... I forgot about the JIT aspect
Old 10-21-2015, 05:23 PM
Bucaro
Advanced

When I was at the factory on Oct 1st, most cars I saw on the line were also 991.1 I saw several 991.2's parked outside, on the storage parking spots, so production on those is certainly ongoing. There were also a ton of GT3 RS's that had been manufactured recently and one ready to be delivered that day next to my car. They probably badge-built a lot of them at the same time.
Old 10-21-2015, 08:06 PM
JAM2
Rennlist Member

Received 421 Likes on 203 Posts

When I was at the factory on Oct 1st, most cars I saw on the line were also 991.1 I saw several 991.2's parked outside, on the storage parking spots, so production on those is certainly ongoing. There were also a ton of GT3 RS's that had been manufactured recently and one ready to be delivered that day next to my car. They probably badge-built a lot of them at the same time.
It seems like every 5th car being produced was a GT3rs. I was absolutely amazed at how many there were in the assembly line, and outside waiting to be loaded up for delivery.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:05 PM
Bucaro
Advanced

I was informed by the dealership in Germany that my car got its new engine and was picked up by Porsche yesterday. It is supposed to be delivered at the port in Emden tonight! I called my dealership in Houston to ask about tracking it, but they told me that once the car has been delivered to the client during ED, they can no longer track it. Is that true?
Old 10-27-2015, 06:38 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

I was informed by the dealership in Germany that my car got its new engine and was picked up by Porsche yesterday. It is supposed to be delivered at the port in Emden tonight! I called my dealership in Houston to ask about tracking it, but they told me that once the car has been delivered to the client during ED, they can no longer track it. Is that true?
its bollocks ... they should be able to see when it departs Emden and when it is due to arrive at the port of entry and pass VDI for dealer delivery; if nothing
else Jamie @ PCNA will let you know which ship it is traveling on.
Old 10-28-2015, 12:05 AM
Bucaro
Advanced

Thanks!
Old 10-28-2015, 01:34 AM
Cristophosphorus
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Crazy story; sorry to hear it went down like that during ED. Hopefully the replacement engine doesn't give you any other problems.

its bollocks ... they should be able to see when it departs Emden and when it is due to arrive at the port of entry and pass VDI for dealer delivery; if nothing
Hey Larry,

I'm in the same boat as OP (ha! pun intended?) and have a 2016 GTS that just hit V300 about a week ago. My dealership is skim on details and they keep telling me that they don't have my boat info yet. Who is this Jamie @ PCNA? If possible, I'd love to speak with someone that can confirm which boat my car will be on.
Old 10-28-2015, 12:56 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cristophosphorus
Crazy story; sorry to hear it went down like that during ED. Hopefully the replacement engine doesn't give you any other problems.

Hey Larry,

I'm in the same boat as OP (ha! pun intended?) and have a 2016 GTS that just hit V300 about a week ago. My dealership is skim on details and they keep telling me that they don't have my boat info yet. Who is this Jamie @ PCNA? If possible, I'd love to speak with someone that can confirm which boat my car will be on.
unless you did european delivery they wont talk to you.
Old 10-28-2015, 03:12 PM
Cristophosphorus
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

unless you did european delivery they wont talk to you.

Quick Reply: My GTS needs a new engine after only 2,300 km