Sponsored by:

Clunk from 991 rear end

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2022 | 11:13 AM
Birkinjay
Instructor

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
It's a joint... it moves. Normal.

If it was floppy or you could rattle it within the joint itself .... then it would be wore out.
Thx for your reply. However, I found the normal end link(which is not PDCC damper) hard to move by hand.

That’s why I’m wondering whether this part of my end link is the cause of my clunking noise.
Old 03-26-2022 | 07:52 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

My sway bar and end links appear to be tight - I didn't check the specific torque on each bolt, but I at least tried to move them with a socket wrench and they didn't easily budge. I'm an idiot - I found a jack pad on the undertray below the transmission/engine. It's made of delrin, so it was probably bouncing around in there like crazy. I just did a 25-minute drive and didn't really notice any similar sounds.
The following users liked this post:
Al.Fresco (03-26-2022)
Old 03-27-2022 | 01:22 AM
Birkinjay
Instructor

Originally Posted by koala
My sway bar and end links appear to be tight - I didn't check the specific torque on each bolt, but I at least tried to move them with a socket wrench and they didn't easily budge. I'm an idiot - I found a jack pad on the undertray below the transmission/engine. It's made of delrin, so it was probably bouncing around in there like crazy. I just did a 25-minute drive and didn't really notice any similar sounds.
How come it was there???

Last edited by Birkinjay; 03-27-2022 at 01:23 AM.
Old 03-27-2022 | 12:14 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Birkinjay
How come it was there???
I must have forgot to remove one of the jack pads at some point in the past. Lesson learned, will count them every time I put them away, lol.
Birkinjay (04-26-2022)
Old 10-23-2022 | 07:21 AM
JoshuaS132
4th Gear

Default Update?

Originally Posted by Birkinjay
Does this one seem normal?
(PDCC droplink)
I asked 3 mechanics, they said it’s normal. But it seems not normal for me. If it was a normal drop link, it barely move at the joint here right?

Ps. I am still finding the cause of my clunking noise😣.

https://youtube.com/shorts/5cFVzFXtqQ8?feature=share
Did you ever find this Clunking noise ?
Old 05-05-2023 | 04:20 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

I'm still trying to chase down this clunk sound in the rear end. I paid my indy to diagnose it, but they couldn't find anything wrong.

I've now got my new Apex wheels and I'll get a chance to install them later this month. I figure while I'm in there and have the wheels off, I want to take another crack at the rear sway bar and drop links.

I have the factory service manual, but I'm having trouble identifying the torque settings for these bolts. It looks like the bolts that hold the roll bar clamps down should be 48 ft-lbs and then the bolts for the droplinks appear to be 30 ft lbs + 30 degrees. Does that sound right?
Old 05-05-2023 | 04:24 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

I'm still trying to chase down this clunk sound in the rear end. I paid my indy to diagnose it, but they couldn't find anything wrong.

I've now got my new Apex wheels and I'll get a chance to install them later this month. I figure while I'm in there and have the wheels off, I want to take another crack at the rear sway bar and drop links.

I have the factory service manual, but I'm having trouble identifying the torque settings for these bolts. It looks like the bolts that hold the roll bar clamps down should be 48 ft-lbs and then the bolts for the droplinks appear to be 30 ft lbs + 30 degrees. Does that sound right?
sounds about right - you may want to check the ball joints on the links themselves, the bolts could be tightened to spec but the ball joints could be worn ... you sure its not the helper springs moving around?

p.s did you get the Apex's in the group buy?
Old 05-05-2023 | 04:46 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
sounds about right - you may want to check the ball joints on the links themselves, the bolts could be tightened to spec but the ball joints could be worn ... you sure its not the helper springs moving around?

p.s did you get the Apex's in the group buy?
Thank you! To be honest, I really have no idea what is causing it, which is why I asked the "pros" to look at it for me. My only other guess that lines up with what I'm hearing is maybe the rear passenger strut is worn out.

I did get in on the group buy! Lucked out and they had my exact set of wheels in stock, just arrived to me today.
Old 05-05-2023 | 04:50 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Thank you! To be honest, I really have no idea what is causing it, which is why I asked the "pros" to look at it for me. My only other guess that lines up with what I'm hearing is maybe the rear passenger strut is worn out.

I did get in on the group buy! Lucked out and they had my exact set of wheels in stock, just arrived to me today.
IGNORE ME! - Helpers are GTx only.

I do wonder if what you are hearing is the rear helper spring "adjusting itself" this is known to cause an occasional clunk, usually at low speeds when the suspension unloads ...

glad to hear you got in on the group buy also - I got a set for my Spyder as my GT3 already has aftermarkets mounted.

good luck with the diagnosis and treatment!

Last edited by Larry Cable; 05-05-2023 at 06:41 PM.
Old 05-05-2023 | 06:28 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I do wonder if what you are hearing is the rear helper spring "adjusting itself" this is known to cause an occasional clunk, usually at low speeds when the suspension unloads ...

glad to hear you got in on the group buy also - I got a set for my Spyder as my GT3 already has aftermarkets mounted.

good luck with the diagnosis and treatment!
This is where it'd be great if someone local knew these cars a bit better!

Those wheels will look great on your Spyder!
Larry Cable (05-05-2023)

Quick Reply: Clunk from 991 rear end