Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do you prefer 911 over a Boxster/Cayman?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 05:52 PM
Super_K
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the 991 C4S because my kids fit in the rear seats well and because it's iconic and I've wanted one since I was a kid. I agree the Cayman (and Boxster, but in the end it would be Cayman for me) is more 'fun' to drive in that it's more go-cart'ish and you can really feel the balance of the engine being so far forward of the rear axle.

If I ever move to a house with enough garage space I'd get a Cayman as well and would be more likely to track that than the 991.
Old 10-13-2015, 06:58 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,881 Likes on 1,904 Posts

Originally Posted by MKW
If I had to pick one , it would be the 911 , since it gives me 90% of the Boxsters " sportiness" but is much more practical as stated above .YMMV .
As an owner of both as well, I agree, as long as you define 'sportiness' as perceived sportiness. The Cayman definitely feels more raw and analog. But in terms of real sporting performance, the Carrera is the better car. I actually drive my Cayman more, for a variety of reasons, but when I get in the Carrera it's clear that it is the superior sports car. And lap times confirm it. The idea that the Cayman is a lightweight weapon of a sports car and the Carrera is a bloated GT car is a myth that seems to be assumed as gospel simply because it's been repeated so much on the Interwebs.

It's like listening to people wax on about what a beast the GT4 is, and yet it has a slower Ring time than a 991 C2S, which everyone views as a soft, pig of a GT car... It's not that the GT4 isn't awesome, it's just that people who say the 991 is a bus are sorely mistaken.
Old 10-13-2015, 09:48 PM
Jay-S
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 50 Posts

I forgot one of the most important things about the 991 over a Cayman...the potential for a rear light bar. And all wheel drive I guess. Mostly the rear light bar.
Old 10-14-2015, 12:01 AM
ChoyV
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 21 Posts

Owned a 987S but I honestly preferred a 911. Now I have the 991.1 GTS and there is no turning back. Maybe a GT3 in the future.
Old 10-14-2015, 12:14 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

911 has the rear seats.

And the body lines are beautiful. especially with the rear quarter windows. classic.
Old 10-14-2015, 12:15 AM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

I had a Cayman S and it was wonderful. But my 991S is more enjoyable for me as a daily driver AND at the track. Nothing like enjoying a comfortable drive across three states, pushing a few buttons and driving onto a race track!
Old 10-14-2015, 12:30 AM
Valkuri
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Beauty. That's the only answer for me.
I always wanted a 911 because it was the iconic sports car in the 60's, 70's, and 80's. They turned my head for decades, and still do. To this day I cannot park my car and walk away without looking.
I did in fact use my back seats for my kids when they were small; I traded my Porsche for an S600 for some years, when they outgrew the previous C4S. Now they are in college or the front seat, and I'm back in 911s for good.
I know I had the same feeling about my 928. But I just don't have the same feeling about Caymans and Boxsters. Nothing wrong with them: great cars. But not for me.

If that's an insufficient answer/reason: So be it.
Old 10-14-2015, 02:13 AM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kinimod
No trolling, I'm serious.

My subjective experience from driving multiple 991s and 981 Boxsters/Cayman is that Carrera feels fat, heavy, with little communication from the front axle.

The chassis feels much less tight/rigid and a 981 interior is far more rattle-resistant.

In fact, 981 with PASM feels more comfortable and compliant to me, because 991 doesn't have that rock solid feel.

The 3.8L engine is clearly a benefit -- and again, I'm not trying to troll here -- just trying to understand what do you like about the 991 more. Obviously besides the rear seats "feature".

Some said that it's the "taming" characteristic that you have to work "harder" to extract the evil from it, which I do understand
I had a Cayman S and loved it. Traded for a 911 GTS for a more comfy and I think a more refined car. The Cayman was wonderful but it felt like a stiffer suspension to me. I like the back seats in the 911, the lines a bit better on the car, and the power of the GTS for me is just right. Cayman is great though!
Old 10-14-2015, 03:51 AM
Super_K
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think these last couple of answers are spot on.
Old 10-14-2015, 10:08 AM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

991 is better looking ,more comfortable and more refined. I don't track anymore. I wouldn't even cross shop a cayman/boxster although they are both fine cars.
Old 10-14-2015, 12:50 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
As an owner of both as well, I agree, as long as you define 'sportiness' as perceived sportiness. The Cayman definitely feels more raw and analog. But in terms of real sporting performance, the Carrera is the better car. .
for me, in stop and go and driving under 5/10ths , the 991 feels and reacts like it weighs 1500 lbs more than the Boxster but at 7/10ths + the 911 comes alive and is similar subjectively in seat of the pants " performance " , so a buyer should be true to themselves how they will use the car most of the time , if that aspect of the ownership experience is important to them ...for many, no..they just wanna cruise to work and nightclubs and are terrified of the thought of putting the car into a ditch when driven the way these cars can be driven ....we assume everyone here is Joe Racer, but I suspect many who own these cars, esp 911s , buy them strictly because it says something about their standing among their social group ( and are unaware and could care less about wasting their valuable time on car buff boards like this one ) ... period , and drive them just like their Prius or Tesla Model S . It is all good, since we would not have the sportiest versions if the 911 couldnt pay its own way
Old 10-14-2015, 01:13 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,881 Likes on 1,904 Posts

Originally Posted by MKW
for me, in stop and go and driving under 5/10ths , the 991 feels and reacts like it weighs 1500 lbs more than the Boxster but at 7/10ths + the 911 comes alive and is similar subjectively in seat of the pants " performance " , so a buyer should be true to themselves how they will use the car most of the time , if that aspect of the ownership experience is important to them ...for many, no..they just wanna cruise to work and nightclubs and are terrified of the thought of putting the car into a ditch when driven the way these cars can be driven ....we assume everyone here is Joe Racer, but I suspect many who own these cars, esp 911s , buy them strictly because it says something about their standing among their social group ( and are unaware and could care less about wasting their valuable time on car buff boards like this one ) ... period , and drive them just like their Prius or Tesla Model S . It is all good, since we would not have the sportiest versions if the 911 couldnt pay its own way
Agreed, and that's kinda my point. The Cayman is a go karty driving experience that probably puts a bigger smile on my face when I drive it than the Carrera, and it's probably a bit better at darting around in city/suburban traffic. But for everything else, from cruising to railing in the hills to the track, the Carrera simply performs better. And the harder you drive it, the bigger the gap becomes. I still find myself grabbing the keys to the Cayman more though.
Old 10-14-2015, 02:30 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 38 Posts

we both agree that for a total Porsche novices with no preset agenda, a Cayman will wow them on a 2-3 mile curvy road test drive at " salesperson riding shotgun" speeds vs a Carrera ....but the latters charms and road-eating pedigree comes sublimely to the fore with time and experience !
Old 10-14-2015, 04:15 PM
Cheekymonkeyman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I own my dream car... Born in '72 I never dreamed of the Boxer or Cayman. I am sure they are the 'wise-mans' buy but I'm not a wise man... Just a kid in a mans body.
Old 10-14-2015, 05:16 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,039 Likes on 618 Posts

I went from a 981 CS with x73 to a 991 911 C2S with PDCC and SPASM (lowered on techart) and both manuals.

981 has a more Go-Karty feel as mentioned earlier. Great looks, and actually got more attention than my 911. I think it has to do with the side Vents and Mid Engine look. I felt it dance around the track and roads a lot more than my 911. Also the Manual in the 981 feels more precise.

The 911 is just faster, grippier and more confidence inspiring than my 981. On track it feels much grippier and confident through the turns. It's a better all around car (back seats in a pinch), bigger interior, more comfortable on longer drives.

I used to have two cars (GTI and 981C2S), but I decided I wanted to cut things down to one car, so I sold both the 981 and GTI for a CPO C2S, and have ZERO regrets.

I am also not going to lie. I love the thought of owning a 911. It's a pride of ownership thing and also a bucket list item.

Quick Reply: Why do you prefer 911 over a Boxster/Cayman?