Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do you prefer 911 over a Boxster/Cayman?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 09:15 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 467 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by WindyCityC2S
I don't like the boxster, think it is ugly. The Cayman is great. Awesome handling, great looks. I tis just underpowered. The GT4 fixes that.
If faced with a 991 C2S or a GT4. I would pick the GT4 every time.
.... and if faced with a GT3 or a GT4, I would pick the GT3 every time!

Old 10-13-2015, 09:52 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,412 Likes on 2,516 Posts

The gap now is getting tighter and tighter. Ever since Porsche starting giving the 987/981 platforms more displacement and power.

Years ago the Boxster and Caymans were purposely restricted in HP to keep the 911 king. Not as true anymore.

If I were ordering a new Porsche today, vs 2 years ago, like I did, the choices would be much-much harder. Now with the new Boxster Spyder, Cayman GTS, GT4.

They are all great. Fortunate every day to own anyone of them.
Old 10-13-2015, 10:44 AM
Dan991
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TrappistMonk
Porsche makes another model besides the 911?
Yes, there's also the 911 S.
Old 10-13-2015, 10:57 AM
carmmel04
AutoX

Originally Posted by WindyCityC2S
I don't like the boxster, think it is ugly. The Cayman is great. Awesome handling, great looks. I tis just underpowered. The GT4 fixes that. If faced with a 991 C2S or a GT4. I would pick the GT4 every time.
Totally agree. Having owned both, with respect to both cars!, the 991 is more sedate, the Cayman is a loon!
Old 10-13-2015, 11:18 AM
Yard Dog
Instructor

I traded in a Cayman GTS for a 911 GTS primarily because the Cayman felt small but doable on a test drive, but became cramped on long drives (I'm 6'2"), and because I thought it was underpowered with a throttle response that was not all I wanted it to be. That said, I think it is a better looking car than the 911 and every time I got out of it for the day I looked back at in awe for the ride it just gave me. The Cayman is a much nimbler cornering car with a great manual transmission whose shifter feels shorter and notchier than the 911. The hatchback and frunk made it easier to get groceries home. It was a lot louder than the 911 which is good at first, but after a while makes longer drives more of a chore than a pleasure. The Cayman is a compelling car to drive, but after having them both, I prefer the 911.
Old 10-13-2015, 11:51 AM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by ocularguy
The 991 feels more spacious inside, so less claustrophobia-inducing than the 981. It's also less noisy which may be a good or bad thing depending on your preferences.

Having some space behind the front seats may sound like a strange reason to pick the 991, but according to my sales person, that's the reason that he hears most often from customers. They don't like the engine sitting right on their back in the 981.
That's about it for me too. Even with the new Cayman and Boxster being larger, they are still a little too small for me at 6'1".
Old 10-13-2015, 11:54 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by kinimod
So, out of curiosity, seeing that you're in SF Bay, which one do you prefer on a twisty and narrow road like La Honda?
Hard to say which I prefer, as they're different types of fun, but if my goal was to go down the road as quickly and smoothly as possible, I'd take the Carrera, hands down.
Old 10-13-2015, 01:09 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm a 997 owner so I'll answer in both that context and the current one. For the 997 era, I thought (and still think) that the Carreras and models priced below are underpowered relative to the competition. There are other compensating factors in the handling and aesthetics, but nonetheless there's a point where the underpowered aspect is just too much. When I looked at the Boxster back then, it was as uneventful to say the least when I went full throttle, and unlike taking the car at 10/10 on the road around turns (which is pretty much non-existent), you can take full advantage of a car's acceleration in both spirited driving and in ordinary driving when you need to get up to highway speed quickly. So I settled for the Carrera S at the time because the aesthetics and handling were enough for me to make it worthwhile, even though I acknowledge the power was then and is now disappointing. I realize power isn't everything, but sometimes you have to have a cutoff point where it does matter.

For today, I find the Cayman/Boxsters' power to be much better. They would be my preferred choice if I was buying a Porsche because the value aspect isn't good for the Carreras, in my opinion. Performance matters a lot, and value, and I would much sooner buy an M2 or M4, or a Corvette, or a Mustang, before I would spend as much as it takes to get a decently equipped new 991 Carrera S. The pricing is so disparate in some of those cases that I could nearly buy 2 of some of those other cars, depending on how they're specced.
Old 10-13-2015, 02:18 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,903 Posts

This comparison covers it pretty well. Skip to 9:35 if you just want the conclusion.

Last edited by Archimedes; 10-13-2015 at 02:49 PM.
Old 10-13-2015, 02:44 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't like it better, but I wanted something different since I already have a 1st gen Cayman S at my vacation place and didn't want 2 Caymans even though I knew I wanted a Porsche sports car.

I'm hoping someday to get married and have little kids, so the tiny backseat at least made me feel better about getting a 2 door sports car. Plus the extra power and that it just feels a little more "grown up" than the Cayman S. I absolutely love driving the Cayman S through curvy mountain roads and the stick shift is incredible with it.

You're right about having to face several rattles with the 911, while the Cayman has been rattle free (knock on wood). In fact, the whole reason for buying the 911 was I didn't feel right only driving a Porsche a few months every year and getting into my old car felt like such a step down. I test drove just about every car I could think of and figured out quickly I didn't want an automatic (or dual clutch) and after looking at the pros and cons of many other cars I ended up with the 911
Old 10-13-2015, 03:43 PM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by maxpowers
I don't like it better, but I wanted something different since I already have a 1st gen Cayman S at my vacation place and didn't want 2 Caymans even though I knew I wanted a Porsche sports car.

I'm hoping someday to get married and have little kids, so the tiny backseat at least made me feel better about getting a 2 door sports car. Plus the extra power and that it just feels a little more "grown up" than the Cayman S. I absolutely love driving the Cayman S through curvy mountain roads and the stick shift is incredible with it.

You're right about having to face several rattles with the 911, while the Cayman has been rattle free (knock on wood). In fact, the whole reason for buying the 911 was I didn't feel right only driving a Porsche a few months every year and getting into my old car felt like such a step down. I test drove just about every car I could think of and figured out quickly I didn't want an automatic (or dual clutch) and after looking at the pros and cons of many other cars I ended up with the 911
I have never had more fun in a road car than driving my, now departed, Cayman on twisty mountain roads. My GT3 is great there also, but the Cayman is less stressful, and hence more fun. Shifting the gears and the wonderful balance that only a mid engine car can give you is more than fun. I never wanted more power in the Cayman (it was an 'S') it was just fine for my needs.

The 991 has seats that I now need, I need them for the same reason that you now mention. That said, the extra 4 inches or so in the wheelbase of the 991 compared to the 997, makes the 991 feel very mid engined until about 20% (my approximation) within the limit.
Old 10-13-2015, 04:13 PM
Key Left
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The difference is simple, the 991 is more refined and civilized than the 981. If you seek rawness and bounce go for the 981, if you seek smoothness and poise go for the 991.
Your call....
Old 10-13-2015, 04:26 PM
eonflux
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by kinimod
No trolling, I'm serious.

My subjective experience from driving multiple 991s and 981 Boxsters/Cayman is that Carrera feels fat, heavy, with little communication from the front axle.

The chassis feels much less tight/rigid and a 981 interior is far more rattle-resistant.

In fact, 981 with PASM feels more comfortable and compliant to me, because 991 doesn't have that rock solid feel.

The 3.8L engine is clearly a benefit -- and again, I'm not trying to troll here -- just trying to understand what do you like about the 991 more. Obviously besides the rear seats "feature".

Some said that it's the "taming" characteristic that you have to work "harder" to extract the evil from it, which I do understand
I had a 987 Boxster, now have a 991 C2
A friend had a 981 Boxster S

I have no bias for/against 911s vs Boxters/Caymans, such as "a 911 is the only real Porsche" or "rear engine designs are stupid", or was cost a decision factor

I'm not sure I agree that on the streets, the driving dynamics between a 981 and 991 are so drastically different. Yes, the 981 is a bit more nimble and balanced, but the 991 rear weight can be exploited, but as far as driving satisfaction on public roads, they're both winners.

As for build quality regarding rigidity and rattles, one wouldn't expect Porsche to have made the 991 inferior. They share so many parts and Porsche would apply the same manufacturing approaches. Also, there aren't drastic weight differences.

So I chose a 991 based on:
- More practical for me with the rear seats (3-4 people in the car; dog can join us; luggage; etc)
- Interior less claustrophobic
- Can recline front seats more, which is helpful on long drives and the passenger can take naps when rotating driving responsibilities
- I think the 991 (991.1 specifically, I think the 991.2 doesn't look as good) is the best looking modern Porsche (OK, maybe except for the 918) but the Boxster/Cayman looks fantastic as well, and the 981 is much improved over the 987 (love the 981 side air intakes)
Old 10-13-2015, 04:55 PM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My two reasons for preferring the 991 over the 981 have to do with how I use it. First, as others have said, are the vestigial rear seats. You can put humans back there in emergencies, and I've had children up to teenage who were thrilled to ride back there. Second is I use my 911 to haul bicycles and it has a wonderfully integrated factory roofrack. So did the 987 Cayman but it was dropped in the 981.
The day the GT4 was announced I called my dealer and could have had one but after a couple of hours of thought realized the utility of the 911 was more important to me.
Old 10-13-2015, 05:28 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 38 Posts

I have both and they are different driving- experience " tools " , which is a good thing ...it would be a shame if you couldn't tell one from the other from the drivers seat by sound , performance or comfort .

the 991 is obviously more useful overall .... it lets me take along my grown kids for short distances to dinner and is much better for 2 person weekend getaway trips , as the two Boxster trunks can get very hot , whereas the the 991 can carry much of its luggage behind the front seats at air-conditioned temps ( incl bags of food /snacks ) and fits odd shaped or longer items stuff like golf bags , lawn chairs etc. If you have little tykes , an umbrella style fold up baby stroller fits behind the rear seat backs under the glass on the coupes .

If I had to pick one , it would be the 911 , since it gives me 90% of the Boxsters " sportiness" but is much more practical as stated above .YMMV .

Quick Reply: Why do you prefer 911 over a Boxster/Cayman?