Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone ever bought a car through your local dealer that was on another dealers lot?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 05:10 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

If they are dealing dealer-to-dealer, and the car is not as represented, they are going to have an easier time sending it back than you are, in all likelihood. Your general manager has a better shot of working it out with their general manager.

I have bought numerous cars across state lines, and had good luck (for the most part) but there are the occasional horror stories of cars showing up with issues or being damaged in transit and the out-of-state dealer saying "tough luck."

It's also advantageous if you have a car to trade in locally to get the sales tax advantage on. In my case, the dealer was willing to broker my sale of a car to an out of state buyer, arrange for shipping on both cars, and I got the sales tax advantage, as well, which was huge.

There are also sometimes laws that can benefit you buying locally -- for example, in Massachusetts, any dealer who sells a car has to provide a 30-90 day warranty on the car (depending on mileage). That may make them more reluctant to get the car for you, but it is some peace of mind if there is something that goes wrong.

Quick Reply: Anyone ever bought a car through your local dealer that was on another dealers lot?