Sponsored by:

What camera do you all use ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 03:42 PM
991C4
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What camera do you all use ?

A little off topic, ok maybe really off topic, but I am looking to purchase a camera to begin taking pics of my various drives, video and let me be honest pics of my car So with that what camera do you guys all use?

Old 10-10-2015, 03:51 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,864 Likes on 1,352 Posts

I use this one, all the time:

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/dig...ujifilm_x100t/

This sits around collecting dust - need to sell it off....too big, too heavy, too much to lug around.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Nikon-D7...-/171239870802
Old 10-10-2015, 05:38 PM
psychlox
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Usually, the camera in the iPhone suffices... But when I go out specifically to take pictures, I use a Leica M 240 P; I've been shooting Leica for 20 years and fortunately have kept most of my lenses although I've upgraded bodies a few times. I have a Nikon digital for when I'm going to shoot something that won't stand still (sports, etc) but I don't use it that often any more. Photography used to be tangentially related to my job, so I was somewhat able to justify the toys.
Old 10-10-2015, 06:04 PM
Quantum
1st Gear

If you plan to publish your photographs on the web only and want the camera to do all of the thinking, then almost any modern digital camera will do. If you want to get creative and wish for more control of various settings, then you want a camera that can do A, S, and M modes (Aperture, Shutter, and Manual, respectively), in addition to whatever pre-program mode it has.

A good site: www.dpreview.com

In my bag, Nikon D810 + Nikkors.
Old 10-10-2015, 07:19 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I use a Nikon D7100 that I bought as a package at Costco, and of course my iPhone. If you search my posts, i think some of the pictures turned out really nice. I may still have a gallery here too.

Ultimately, I think it's more about the light than the camera...don't get hung up on the megapixels. This is a 8mp shot of my old '91 C4 cab.
Attached Images  
Old 10-10-2015, 07:42 PM
mtgadbois
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

iPhone and a Nikon D300 works for me.
Old 10-10-2015, 08:00 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 505 Likes on 158 Posts

The best camera is the one you have with you...for me (and many others) that's an iPhone.
I'm a photographer and I've taken some remarkable pics with my iPhone 6Plus (if I do say so myself).
My "big boy" camera is a Canon 5D MkII, but, honestly, it's too heavy to carry around every day.
Learn what your iPhone can do as a camera, get a couple of useful camera apps (Camera+, etc.), and work on composition.
Oh, and take LOTS of pictures.

Here's an iPhone shot with a little dynamic range manipulation to match the stormy sky.

Old 10-11-2015, 04:00 AM
VOLTCONTROL
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Mysterious doublepost. {deleted}
Old 10-11-2015, 04:00 AM
VOLTCONTROL
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by psychlox
Usually, the camera in the iPhone suffices... But when I go out specifically to take pictures, I use a Leica M 240 P; I've been shooting Leica for 20 years and fortunately have kept most of my lenses although I've upgraded bodies a few times. I have a Nikon digital for when I'm going to shoot something that won't stand still (sports, etc) but I don't use it that often any more. Photography used to be tangentially related to my job, so I was somewhat able to justify the toys.
Awesome choice, especially with a lens collection.

Because I find a a full size DSLR camera too cumbersome to toil around, the Olympus om-d e-m10 (Eat that in terms of overly complex model name Porsche) is the weapon of choice here. For car shots I'd mate it with the 12mm F2.0. Do find the iPhone often inadequate when shooting cars.
The choice for this camera over Fuij X series (the fixed lens 100 mentioned before in this thread is a great choice btw) or the Sony A7 series first and foremost is because of it's broad and good lens selection (which counts for both Olympus and Panasonic Micro 4/3 system cameras, with the Olympus OM being the best handling cameras ime) and also because any 35mm manual lens will adapt to it with a great (2x) crop (means multiply focal length by 2) factor. Great portability as well, which means that the camera is with me 90% of the time.

Some examples of mine, nothing great but just to give an idea of Micro 4/3 capabilities in the hands of a casual photographer (no car shots at hand, sorry):

Old 10-11-2015, 06:21 AM
blschaefer1
Instructor

Fuji X-T1 is my main system now. I also use a Fuji x100T was a smaller walk around.

I was fully invested in Canon full frame gear before I found Fuji. 5D MkIII and lots of good heavy glass. Once I tried the X-T1 and Fuji lenses, I sold the Canon gear and never looked back.
Old 10-11-2015, 09:14 AM
Ski Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 73 Posts

After years with Canon DSLRs and lenses I moved to the Sony nex7 mirrorless and lenses and just got tired of hauling all the gear. Switched to th Fujifilm X100t last month and love. Beautiful images and easy to handle.
Old 10-11-2015, 10:08 AM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

The bigger cameras are worth dragging around if you want better separation between subject and background. Bigger sensor and bigger aperture. The fixed lenses can be pretty annoying, though. Yesterday I went to the local car museum's German car day and parking is so dense that effectively you wouldn't be able to safely move with a second camera body slung around you or a full-size camera bag.

This is a 5D Mk II and a 50mm f/1.2:
http://wavehh.dyndns.org/german-car-...15/index5.html

If you really wanted separation in this environment to obliterate the people in the background you would actually move to a longer focal length - but then you need to be able to step quite a bit. And as I said I wasn't comfortable dragging more equipment around. The 135mm f/2.0 should be extremely effective in getting rid of people but you'll run out of room a lot.
Old 10-11-2015, 10:45 AM
guod
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I highly recommend the Sony RX100 series

Small enough to fit in your pocket and the photos will be amazing. All versions are pretty close in terms of quality
Old 10-11-2015, 10:55 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,864 Likes on 1,352 Posts

Here's a few shots I took in Capri, Italy this past June with my FujiFilm X100T, and of course a couple at the Ferrari Museum in Modena. Perfect size camera, so easy to handle and it gets the job done. Big fan of it. It doesn't require a lot of fussing with settings, just pull it up one-handed and shoot in Full Auto mode and you get great shots most all the time.

Name:  DSC01784_zpsjnx4zcct.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  1.40 MB

Name:  DSCF1784_zpsjt2kbxuo.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  316.0 KB

Name:  DSCF1976_zpsbuyx8kov.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  241.9 KB
Old 10-11-2015, 12:20 PM
77tony
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 115 Posts

Used to drag SLR's/lenses, etc. around. Now I just make sure the lens is clean on the Galaxy S3 cellphone, point and shoot. If posters were to be made out of the pics, then would consider a "real" camera. Now use photo editing software that came with computer to edit pics if needed. T
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: What camera do you all use ?