Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you trade a GTS for a GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 05:48 PM
Yard Dog
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I decided to keep the GTS. At decision crunch time I did not want to take the depreciation hit on a car with 2K miles on it and I purchased the GTS in part to drive a manual transmission. That said, I am not a PDK hater, though I used to be. I drove a GTS and a Cayman with PDK and didn’t care for it, but then I spent an afternoon driving a recent vintage TTS and the PDK in that car was another experience altogether. My research suggests the PDK in the GT3 has to be pretty special. Kind of a drag I couldn’t drive the car on such short notice. A test drive might have made the difference, but oh well.

If I ever tire of the GTS or wrap it around a telephone pole, my next car will likely be a new or used GT3 depending on what’s available at the time.

You guys really impressed me with your support to my question. I read this thread more times than I care to admit and found your comments informative and interesting. Many thanks.
Old 10-10-2015, 09:09 PM
ibmiked
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

At speeds of under 60mph, I wonder how much more fun the GT3 is than the GTS. In that type of driving I suspect the manual transmission would make a GTS considerably more fun. Where do the GT3 daily drivers live that 60+ mph is a regular commute? At less than 60mph both cars are well below 10/10ths and I'm just curious why the GT3 would be more fun than a manual GTS at those speeds.
Old 10-11-2015, 02:47 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,718 Likes on 5,120 Posts

Originally Posted by ibmiked
At speeds of under 60mph, I wonder how much more fun the GT3 is than the GTS. In that type of driving I suspect the manual transmission would make a GTS considerably more fun. Where do the GT3 daily drivers live that 60+ mph is a regular commute? At less than 60mph both cars are well below 10/10ths and I'm just curious why the GT3 would be more fun than a manual GTS at those speeds.
It's not very fun rowing gears in stop-and-go traffic. Too easy to pull a hernia as well.
Old 10-11-2015, 12:24 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,026 Likes on 479 Posts

Ive got a 991 gt3 that Im getting rid of and have had two other orders for them, and I just still don't end up loving it at the end of the day. Im actually buying a GTS because I think its the best mix of pretty much everything porsche while just being "easy". No screaming brakes, less jerky trans, just the feeling that I don't need to be as careful but can still wind it out to have a good time. Just FWIW.

Last edited by sechsgang; 10-17-2015 at 08:36 PM.
Old 10-16-2015, 02:38 AM
kaution321
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Yard Dog
I decided to keep the GTS. At decision crunch time I did not want to take the depreciation hit on a car with 2K miles on it and I purchased the GTS in part to drive a manual transmission. That said, I am not a PDK hater, though I used to be. I drove a GTS and a Cayman with PDK and didn’t care for it, but then I spent an afternoon driving a recent vintage TTS and the PDK in that car was another experience altogether. My research suggests the PDK in the GT3 has to be pretty special. Kind of a drag I couldn’t drive the car on such short notice. A test drive might have made the difference, but oh well. If I ever tire of the GTS or wrap it around a telephone pole, my next car will likely be a new or used GT3 depending on what’s available at the time. You guys really impressed me with your support to my question. I read this thread more times than I care to admit and found your comments informative and interesting. Many thanks.

Just wait 2 years. Depreciation hit should be less and you get the latest and greatest GT3. At least that's my plan.
Old 10-16-2015, 11:22 PM
Rick-A-Shay
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sechsgang
Ive got a 991 gt3 that Im getting rid of and have had two other orders from them, and I just still don't end up loving it at the end of the day. Im actually buying a GTS because I think its the best mix of pretty much everything porsche while just being "easy". No screaming brakes, less jerky trans, just the feeling that I don't need to be as careful but can still wind it out to have a good time. Just FWIW.
Old 10-17-2015, 01:26 AM
woodrow
Instructor

Default gts

Originally Posted by sechsgang
Ive got a 991 gt3 that Im getting rid of and have had two other orders from them, and I just still don't end up loving it at the end of the day. Im actually buying a GTS because I think its the best mix of pretty much everything porsche while just being "easy". No screaming brakes, less jerky trans, just the feeling that I don't need to be as careful but can still wind it out to have a good time. Just FWIW.
+1
Old 10-17-2015, 04:13 AM
mmaturo
Racer

This is an interesting thread. Since you have one car I would have said GT3 since it is civilized to a pretty good degree, depending on your roads and how much you like stiff suspensions...me all my cars do so don't care. My 991 is an S but unfortunately I occasionally want it to do more...I'm comparing it to its garage mate which is unfair (R8 GT that I could drive daily and did for awhile...and did Costco runs in it) so my S feels very sluggish at times (hard to get it fully wound up that it needs to be often) that a GT3 or Turbo would fix that in my head...however in my case the S is going to be very soon my very long daily commuter car (140 miles a day)...it is why I bought it to run it into the ground but enjoy that run still rather than in a Prius. It is very comfortable and will do the job well. It is the right car for that and while really damn nice doesn't scream super ******* to the coworkers or more importantly to clients...a GT3 might and my R8 I could never do a fee proposal to anyone if I drove up in it. If I had just one toy/daily though...I would go to the GT3 since it would be a thrill even in small blips in traffic. That grin daily is worth it. I like my S but it doesn't give me the sh$t eating grin my other cars often do. I track also and now in a very mild climate in FL a 3 could be pretty much all (FL) weather use.
Old 10-17-2015, 10:14 AM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

^^ I think the power kit addresses some of those concerns. While not a GT3 to the fullest it does get you there part ways. I wish porsche had one model of the 911 and would allow us to cherry pick what ever option we wanted. That would be the best of all worlds. Wide body check, gt3 motor check, Mt check, rear seats check and so on. They create a problem where there shouldn't be. My 2 cents.
Old 10-17-2015, 10:54 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Yard Dog
I decided to keep the GTS. At decision crunch time I did not want to take the depreciation hit on a car with 2K miles on it and I purchased the GTS in part to drive a manual transmission. That said, I am not a PDK hater, though I used to be. I drove a GTS and a Cayman with PDK and didn’t care for it, but then I spent an afternoon driving a recent vintage TTS and the PDK in that car was another experience altogether. My research suggests the PDK in the GT3 has to be pretty special. Kind of a drag I couldn’t drive the car on such short notice. A test drive might have made the difference, but oh well. If I ever tire of the GTS or wrap it around a telephone pole, my next car will likely be a new or used GT3 depending on what’s available at the time. You guys really impressed me with your support to my question. I read this thread more times than I care to admit and found your comments informative and interesting. Many thanks.
Shame that it's so hard to get a gt3 for a test drive. I think a lot of people have the 991gt3 mixed up with the 996-997gt3s. The 991 is so much more street friendly.

Here is my take on this, There are so many factors to take into consideration. DD for you is most likely completely different from someone else DD routine. In my opinion a GT3 is a lot better in stop and go commute. (Any car sucks in stop and go traffic) but automatic trans makes it livable. If your DD involves great sweepers and fun roads with no traffic, (does such a place exist?) both cars are great. Just depends if you want to shift gears yourself or not.

GTS with MT is my preferred choice if you are beginner DE driver. MT makes it more fun and engaging. And still plenty fast and durable for track abuse. If you are experienced tracker the GT3 is the one to get. Getting that last 10th out of the car.

If you need a back seat, well...... Obvious

The gt3 will bring a lot more attention. Some people like that. And some hate it. Your choice.

Both cars are absolutely amazing and we are privileged to be in the position to enjoy this time in the auto industry. I personally don't think cars like these will be available in the future. "Godrive"
Old 10-17-2015, 02:28 PM
mmaturo
Racer

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
^^ I think the power kit addresses some of those concerns. While not a GT3 to the fullest it does get you there part ways. I wish porsche had one model of the 911 and would allow us to cherry pick what ever option we wanted. That would be the best of all worlds. Wide body check, gt3 motor check, Mt check, rear seats check and so on. They create a problem where there shouldn't be. My 2 cents.
You are right, I probably should have waited ten more minutes and found a used GTS but zero out there when I was looking since still pretty new (and more than I wanted to spend)...sort of like waiting for one with the sport design package already on it...thought I could live without the duck but couldn't. Happy with the looks now except needing the black sill extensions like the wide body cars have. The S is fine and the more I drive it I'm getting more used to how to keep it fun. It is the first car I actually use the paddles a good amount. The car never downshifts like I would like coming off the interstate for instance. I agree on your a la carte approach no doubt.
Old 10-17-2015, 04:57 PM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmaturo
You are right, I probably should have waited ten more minutes and found a used GTS but zero out there when I was looking since still pretty new (and more than I wanted to spend)...sort of like waiting for one with the sport design package already on it...thought I could live without the duck but couldn't. Happy with the looks now except needing the black sill extensions like the wide body cars have. The S is fine and the more I drive it I'm getting more used to how to keep it fun. It is the first car I actually use the paddles a good amount. The car never downshifts like I would like coming off the interstate for instance. I agree on your a la carte approach no doubt.
A friend of mine has a sport design package on her car and is taking that duck off to add the duck with the aero kit. She is doing the front aero lower lip too.

She couldn't use her duck for the wing because it needed reinforced holes for the bolts or something..

Suncoast sells the duck and aero package for around 3K and she was quoted 980 to have it all painted, the old duck removed and the new one lined up and put back on with the 911 designation.

Just thought I would let you know in case you wanted a duck for your car. Porsche dealership said you cant tell the difference in parts between OEM as well.

Quick Reply: Would you trade a GTS for a GT3?