Sponsored by:

Daily commute

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 11:28 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,132 Likes on 677 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
I see this hasn't come up yet. If you decide to commute over an hour make sure you get a good surveillance system to keep track of your wife. It sounds unhealthy to think that way but I know quite a few families that didn't survive moving on up. Just saying!
Speaking from experience?
Old 10-09-2015, 11:49 AM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Speaking from experience?
Im 15 min. away . LOL
Old 10-09-2015, 12:07 PM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I see this hasn't come up yet. If you decide to commute over an hour make sure you get a good surveillance system to keep track of your wife. It sounds unhealthy to think that way but I know quite a few families that didn't survive moving on up. Just saying!
Holy crap.
Old 10-09-2015, 05:08 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,375 Likes on 795 Posts

wait, assumptions being thrown around like crazy.

You are not "thrilled" about the close town. Whats that mean? Bad schools or just not as good? Dangerous area? ****ty house or just not as nice, etc.

I comute 1 hour each way on the train, but drive my 997TT to the train station each day. Sitting in traffic every night for 120 minutes would result in a suicide...seriously. That sounds like hell on earth.
Old 10-09-2015, 05:23 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 886 Posts

Well, this thread got weird in a hurry
Old 10-09-2015, 06:03 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Originally Posted by Grunty
Holy crap.
Why do you think the subject is so taboo? I've seen it happen to a few best friends. Husband is away for most of the day comes home eats and goes right to bed. No social interaction with his family and you think that's makes for a health marriage? Money is great but one must have balance in there lives. What good is money if one loses out on other aspects of life? Missing out on there child upbringing is another. Some things just aren't worth it. What matters most is the family core. We all want more but unfortunately we must look at the whole picture.
Old 10-09-2015, 06:21 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Most cities have great suburban areas that are usually closer to the city. Often times they are priced very high and many choose to reach out further in order to stretch there dollar and get into something much larger than if they choose more locally. Usually this is the case. Always know that there is no free lunch with this choice and one has to sacrifice in other areas of life in order to make it work.
Old 10-09-2015, 07:34 PM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Why do you think the subject is so taboo? I've seen it happen to a few best friends. Husband is away for most of the day comes home eats and goes right to bed. No social interaction with his family and you think that's makes for a health marriage? Money is great but one must have balance in there lives. What good is money if one loses out on other aspects of life? Missing out on there child upbringing is another. Some things just aren't worth it. What matters most is the family core. We all want more but unfortunately we must look at the whole picture.
Subject not taboo. Nanny cam to make sure wife isnt banging the neighbor is pretty extreme. Not sure how nanny cam makes up for lack of family interaction leading to infidelity, either.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:10 PM
phil996cab99
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Valkuri
... Eventually you will come to hate that beautiful house for what it has done to you, which is the worst of both worlds...
Agree ... beautiful house or view can be trumped within 1-2 years by unexpected negatives. I sought a quiet home by going rural, which was ruined by unexpected lack of zoning, hell raising degenerates, toxic burning, drug addicted burglars, unresponsive sheriff, etc. Wish I'd known about gated communities back then.
Old 10-10-2015, 12:13 AM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

Family > Car.

That said, you have to worry about yourself as well. The commute will get tiring after a while. See what you can negotiate or look for a job closer to your new home.
Old 10-10-2015, 12:18 AM
jimbo1111
Banned

Default Daily commute

Originally Posted by Grunty
Subject not taboo. Nanny cam to make sure wife isnt banging the neighbor is pretty extreme. Not sure how nanny cam makes up for lack of family interaction leading to infidelity, either.
If your not attending to your wifes social needs because a job is keeping you away from home to many hours of the day. Then you should expect your wife to find those needs met elsewhere. Happens all the time. New area without any friends or family around. Wife has plenty of boredom time. Finds new friend and so on. I've seen it happen. The divorce rate is very high these days. With half of all marriages surviving. Why add stress to a marriage if it can be averted. Hence the surveillance comments.
Old 10-10-2015, 12:28 AM
Dan991
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will only have to commute for 30 weeks out of the year. I will be at home for the remaining 22 weeks.
Old 10-10-2015, 12:57 AM
Vise
Drifting

Received 313 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by mtbscott
I did a 30 mile each way reverse commute for 13 years. 35-40 minutes in the morning, 45 minutes to infinity sometimes on the way home. Five years ago our worksite moved into the city, 6 miles/15 minutes from my house.
I'm much happier now, my co-workers who live out near the old site not so much.
I was and am in the same boat... did a reverse commute out of downtown to the suburbs for roughly 12-13 years or so. Would take 30-40mins in the morning and 45 or more on the way home... in the winter could take 1.5-2 hours when it was bad.

Couple years ago changed jobs and my office is now 3 miles from my house across the city... basically no commute and a short 10-15 min drive at most. Parking is way more expensive but I can deal with it considering I have a 24/7 spot in the heart of downtown Toronto that I can use any time.

While I knew the prior commute was killing me on some level it is hard to explain how much better things are now... I would never, ever consider a job involving any sort of commute. The amount of time I have back and lack of stress around getting to/from work has pretty much changed my whole outlook on work if not life... instead of dreading Monday mornings due to traffic nightmares I now look forward to getting in the office.

To each their own but I personally would take the shorter commute/closer location 10 times out of 10. Unless the closer place is in Compton or something of course.

Quick Reply: Daily commute