Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painting License Plate Frame and Mount (front and back)

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2015 | 08:55 PM
Super_K
Rennlist Member

Default Painting License Plate Frame and Mount (front and back)

I think the dealer installed license plate frame and the black plastic mount on my 991.1 are ugly. Does anyone know a good source for better ones?

Alternatively as a DIY I was considering getting black plastic frames and prepping those and the black backing mount and spraying them with a can of GT Silver touchup paint from someone like this: www.automotivetouchup.com.

I don't mind if the paint isn't a complete perfect match, I'm not really that picky I just think the black plastic and chrome are pretty awful on such a beautiful car. Basically if it looks like body color from ten feet away I'd be happy.

Here's what it looks like now.

Thanks!

Old 09-30-2015 | 11:04 AM
Jim M.
Rennlist Member

I did a small repair to a silver VW and their paint was a perfect match. Just provide them with your paint code. I also painted the black plastic on my 991 exterior mirrors, also a perfect match. On the plastic parts you need to use a special primer to ensure good adhesion, but they can provide everything you need.
Old 09-30-2015 | 11:17 AM
Super_K
Rennlist Member

Yeah I saw that they offered a plastic primer and was planning to go that route. I agree about the mirror bottoms, did you paint those on the car or remove them?
Old 09-30-2015 | 11:59 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

If you don't care about a perfect color match, you might first try Plasti-Dip to see how it looks. If you like the way it looks, keep it and it will be a lot cheaper. If you think you want a perfect color match, from that point you can peel away the dip and repaint with factory color.
Old 09-30-2015 | 01:01 PM
Zekiel
Advanced

Saw this at Rennsport and was thinking a color matched plate looks good if your bumper has already been drilled and you have to run a mount.

Old 09-30-2015 | 01:55 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by Zekiel
Saw this at Rennsport and was thinking a color matched plate looks good if your bumper has already been drilled and you have to run a mount.

Unfortunately, while it would look good, painting the actual plate would obviously be illegal.
Old 09-30-2015 | 03:05 PM
Super_K
Rennlist Member

Yeah, I do need to mount a plate in it. The SA at the dealership told me they've been getting warning letters from the surrounding cities about delivering vehicles without front plate mounts and apparently customers have been getting tickets from a couple of the nearby cities just for that reason. It used to not be a primary offense but now apparently it is so people get stopped and ticketed just for that.

In the pic I posted you can see how the whole thing just looks like a foreign object slapped on the front of the car.

Anyway, this looks like all I need to do it to a plain plastic front frame and the plastic rear mount.

Anyone done anything like this?
Old 09-30-2015 | 03:13 PM
Zekiel
Advanced

Probably, yes. I was pointing this example out as any color coordinating does look good. Or, if you were not going to run a front plate but now couldn't because you have holes in your bumper then this could have been an example of a painted mount still looking good.
Old 09-30-2015 | 03:18 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by Super_K
Anyway, this looks like all I need to do it to a plain plastic front frame and the plastic rear mount.

Anyone done anything like this?
I've painted race bodywork on my track bikes a few times. Easy peasy. Don't sweat it. Good prep and the right environment is the key to getting a good result. The spraying itself is easy. If you're unsure, practice on a scrap piece of plastic so you get the technique down.
Old 09-30-2015 | 03:33 PM
STG
Race Director

I got the Altec Autocross frame and had it custom painted GT Silver with a bigger border too. Their standard colors look great too. Totally enclosed with a rubber gasket that keeps the plate clean. Yes, I like my NA engine!

Old 09-30-2015 | 03:52 PM
Super_K
Rennlist Member

I do agree it looks good. Even the black back mount isn't too awful. It's the combination of the chrome frame with the forthcoming plate and the black plastic that I don't like. Even if I just painted frames or found them in the right color already that might be enough. I'd probably try that first before removing the black plastic mount.
Old 09-30-2015 | 03:54 PM
Super_K
Rennlist Member

STG, that looks great. Did you just take it to a body shop to have them paint it? Did you provide the paint?
Old 09-30-2015 | 03:58 PM
Super_K
Rennlist Member

Also, did you order the black one and have that one primed and painted?
Old 09-30-2015 | 04:04 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by Super_K
STG, that looks great. Did you just take it to a body shop to have them paint it? Did you provide the paint?
They mixed the paint from the factory color paint code. Just like they would if painting your car.

Yes ordered the black. They actually painted the face of it, so the color you buy doesn't matter. The painted the border silver, and then clear coated the entire thing.
Old 09-30-2015 | 04:10 PM
Super_K
Rennlist Member

Do you ever get water or condensation under the clear plastic cover? I would think that might be an issue here for that type of plate cover.

Quick Reply: Painting License Plate Frame and Mount (front and back)