Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I assess the relative value of used listings

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2015 | 03:27 PM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Default How do I assess the relative value of used listings

I am looking to add a cayenne turbo to the porsche collection and have been somewhat baffled by the wide range of prices in the used market.

Does anyone have a clue how to assess these offers?

Looking at the build sheet by VIN lets me know what the original msrp was and the options selected. Yet, i am not seeing any ryhme or reason to why prices differ so markedly.

The cars seem to be priced low end mid 50s to high end low 70s sort of irrespective of options. MSRP seems to be generally 110 ish to 125ish when new across the board.

There are a couple cars i really like but one seems priced too high and the other seems unusually low.

Any thoughts on how to approach what fair value should be?
Old 09-28-2015 | 03:38 PM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Would it be iseful to throw up a couple examples?
Old 09-28-2015 | 03:52 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Some owners hit the crack pipe before they post their for sale ads. Simple as that. There's a lot of wishin' and hopin' out there in the used marketplace. Just remember, asking price does not equal sale price.
Old 09-28-2015 | 04:30 PM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Some owners hit the crack pipe before they post their for sale ads. Simple as that. There's a lot of wishin' and hopin' out there in the used marketplace. Just remember, asking price does not equal sale price.
Yep. The prices I am talking about are dealer prices only. I am not counting the private sales offers.
Old 09-28-2015 | 05:31 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by Grunty
Yep. The prices I am talking about are dealer prices only. I am not counting the private sales offers.
Same thing though. A lot of dealers are unrealistic about the market value of cars on their lots. Been there, dealt with that.

My advice is, assume the cars at the upper end of the range are fishing cars; dealer is trying to set the hook on a buyer who hasn't done his homework.
Old 09-28-2015 | 08:32 PM
997s07
Burning Brakes

I can only speak about how I value used vehicles. First, I don't care about the options or original MSRP. I only care about the interior color and the exterior color to a lesser extent. Then I find the lowest priced example within the lower range of tolerable mileage. Take off another 5-8%, and that's what the car is worth to me. I do compare the trade in values using KBB and Edmunds to see how close they are to the asking prices.

Then I check to see which cars have been sitting, how much a price drop they've had, etc. Now is the time to hit the dealers. Low ball the hell out of them. You'll be surprised how many will drop and by how many thousands. Bought a 991 used for a friends wife. The asking was in the low $80s. Got the car closer to the mid $73K. CPO to boot.

Dealers mark Porsche cars up by at least $7-14K. They've got room and they play ball.
Old 09-28-2015 | 09:03 PM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

in selling several cars, mileage plays a big role.
Old 09-29-2015 | 12:40 AM
_BK
Advanced

Try looking up the car on http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/instantMarketValue.action, which will show you graphically the nationwide asking prices versus mileage for any model, and you can tell if a particular asking price is above or below the norm.

Quick Reply: How do I assess the relative value of used listings