Sponsored by:

Track days, with low risk?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2015 | 08:46 PM
Visceral
Rennlist Member

Default Track days, with low risk?

Hey all,

I've been racing ChumpCar, LeMons, local AutoX etc. for years. I recently sold a C6 Z06 and bought the 991 TTs I currently have. The C6Z06 was mod'ed pretty heavily and I was worried it would be too much of a handful on track days even though I owned it outright and wouldnt have suffered much financially from wrecking it.

How do you track, confidently, such an expensive car?

Have you been on the track enough to know your car is in little-to-no danger?

Do you drive or choose events specifically to avoid that risk? Do you take out track-day insurance?

Thanks for the help. I'd love to get this thing out there.
Old 09-20-2015 | 09:16 PM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Event Insurance or drive at 7/10's. Those are really the only two options. Or buy a Spec Miata and drive the wheeeeeeee out of it.
Old 09-20-2015 | 09:22 PM
mmaturo
Racer

Track day insurance always. I can afford to wreck it but would rather not and have had 10+ years on the track so generally know it will turn out ok. I do run my nicer cars (my R8) in one group down from my actual ability/experience so others and their cars are a bit slower or not pushing super hard so I tend to run in intermediate groups unless at a track with a bunch of friends. From this point on I will skip things like Daytona that it is a one way trip to hit a wall if anything happens. Xpel clear bra to lessen track damage from rocks and tire fragments.
Old 09-20-2015 | 09:32 PM
gbree
Racer

Have you considered building/buying a dedicated track car (~$15k) before driving your 991? For that low price, you could likely have something that could be more competitive than the 991 as well as not running the risk of damaging a 6 figure car. Just a thought.
Old 09-20-2015 | 11:20 PM
Visceral
Rennlist Member

I have an $8k car (an 81 rx-7) that gets loads of track time (24 hour races). The 991 TTs seems very track oriented for something with little practical way to take to the track. The local track (PIR) has decent runoff many places and I'm pretty good at maintaining 8/10ths.

Perhaps sticking in the intermediate run group is the safe option.
Old 09-20-2015 | 11:23 PM
maxpowers
Pro

This is a really newbie question, but aren't there any events where the limit the number of cars on the track to 1 or 2 so you're not constantly worried about a potential collision with another car?

I did one of the exotic driving experiences with their cars where it was only you or maybe 1 other car on the track and I really enjoyed it. I signed up for the beginner group of a HPD group found it terrifying to have a car a few feet in front and behind me on the track. I'd think your risk would be much lower if you didn't have other cars to worry about and could just focus on the track
Old 09-20-2015 | 11:28 PM
gbree
Racer

Originally Posted by Visceral
I have an $8k car (an 81 rx-7) that gets loads of track time (24 hour races). The 991 TTs seems very track oriented for something with little practical way to take to the track. The local track (PIR) has decent runoff many places and I'm pretty good at maintaining 8/10ths. Perhaps sticking in the intermediate run group is the safe option.
I don't think going to a lower group with less skilled drivers is a safer option to be honest. I would feel more comfortable in the advanced group, knowing that everyone out there has a great deal of track experience.
Old 09-21-2015 | 12:45 AM
DD GT3 RD
Rennlist Member

I've been doing track days in my own car for 9 years. I'll say better to be in advance group as typically the drivers have more experience and are more aware.

If I'm staying super close with someone it's either a friend or someone I know from other days. If u don't know the driver and/or see some sign of lack of control, I'll back off.

Certain turns have higher risk...walls near by or tons of run off...know them

But never been any serious or expensive issues.
Old 09-21-2015 | 01:21 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Buy track insurance.

Find a quality organization in your area to track with. For example, Chin is good if you are east of the Rockies. Ask around, start here: https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...tion-forum-65/

Get a good instructor.

Last edited by ipse dixit; 09-21-2015 at 01:54 AM.
Old 09-21-2015 | 01:24 AM
joeyrocks
Advanced

Too risky unless you can drive easy knowing when some douchebag in a Corvette wrecks your 991 you can write a check to buy another one a
Old 09-21-2015 | 01:50 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by maxpowers
This is a really newbie question, but aren't there any events where the limit the number of cars on the track to 1 or 2 so you're not constantly worried about a potential collision with another car?

I did one of the exotic driving experiences with their cars where it was only you or maybe 1 other car on the track and I really enjoyed it. I signed up for the beginner group of a HPD group found it terrifying to have a car a few feet in front and behind me on the track. I'd think your risk would be much lower if you didn't have other cars to worry about and could just focus on the track
car to car collision is highly unlikely (in every forum except NASA) most accidents are driver error.
Old 09-21-2015 | 01:51 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gbree
I don't think going to a lower group with less skilled drivers is a safer option to be honest. I would feel more comfortable in the advanced group, knowing that everyone out there has a great deal of track experience.
+1
Old 09-21-2015 | 09:49 AM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by maxpowers

You can always rent a track out yourself and invite some pals, I've done that on two occasions (costs $ 5K for the day +/-, depending on time of year and venue).

And I've been instructing since 1996, most off-track excursions are NOT caused in conjunction with another car on track, they are solo events where the driver loses control of the vehicle and goes off. The key to avoiding catastrophic damages is long, unobstructed run-offs. No trees, no barrier walls, no Armco. If there is nothing to hit as you go off-track then you usually wind up with a muddy car and a busted spoiler, and once in a while a broken suspension. It's the impact with the immovable object that creates the problems. Which is why I've never run Watkins Glen....lol
Old 09-21-2015 | 09:52 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

I've only done 2 track days and both were sponsored by type of car being driven (Audi and Porsche) so pretty much everyone in the run group was very respectful to each other on and off the track.

Would I do an open track day where anyone can run what they brought ..... probably not. To many ego's on the same track can get a bit risky..... and I'm not going to take that risk.
Old 09-21-2015 | 12:25 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

I have a dedicated track only car. I really want to take the 991 out sometime, but since I am in Atlanta, I'm just going to sign up for the experience at Porsche HQ and use one of theirs. A bit of a boring looking track, but it will get the job done.

Quick Reply: Track days, with low risk?