Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,604 Likes on 2,343 Posts

^^^ sweet!
Old 09-17-2015, 04:44 PM
hsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I recall a dealer listing a mint green GTS that was to be available in September/October i believe. Perhaps it might still be available. One of my all time favorite colors. My helmet is partially Porsche mint green i like it so much.

Edit: found the thread in the for sale section. Walters Porsche. November delivery

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...upes-v215.html
Old 09-17-2015, 05:06 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hsmith
I recall a dealer listing a mint green GTS that was to be available in September/October i believe. Perhaps it might still be available. One of my all time favorite colors. My helmet is partially Porsche mint green i like it so much.

Edit: found the thread in the for sale section. Walters Porsche. November delivery

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...upes-v215.html
Scott Mcleod @ Walters is a good guy ... mint green (or martime blue) woud
Old 09-17-2015, 05:51 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by RS911
I remember, I had to pull in a lot of favors to get a Targa GTS with PTS and yes, it was also a VIP allocation.

My advice, take what you can get. There is the saying (and please do not take it the wrong way):"Beggars cannot be choosers".
What color did you get? I have a Slate Grey one coming.
Old 09-17-2015, 06:17 PM
RS911
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by NateOZ
What color did you get? I have a Slate Grey one coming.
The paint is a Maserati color called: "Grigio Granito Metallic". It is basically a dark charcoal gray color with a hint of red. (The paint code has two shades of red in it, but is almost black). Also Maserati colors are know for their larger than usual metallic flakes in their paint, which should tie in very nicely with the silver Targa rollbar. Let's just see if Porsche gets the color right.
Old 09-23-2015, 06:05 PM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I just came across the Porsche letter that I received that states the number of paint to sample 911's that were produced . According to the letter there were approximately 11,200 Porsche 911's that were produced for north America distribution in the 2014 model year. 90 of those 11,200 cars were PTS. Of that 90 total, 35 were metallic paint and 55 were non-metallic paint . Final ideal year 2015 numbers should be out within weeks. According to my source the numbers shall be approximately the same in 2015 as they were in 2014. Hope this helps
Old 09-23-2015, 06:07 PM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

That should read final 2015 year totals not final ideal year totals . Damn iPhone
Old 09-23-2015, 06:09 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Parnelli
I just came across the Porsche letter that I received that states the number of paint to sample 911's that were produced . According to the letter there were approximately 11,200 Porsche 911's that were produced for north America distribution in the 2014 model year. 90 of those 11,200 cars were PTS. Of that 90 total, 35 were metallic paint and 55 were non-metallic paint . Final ideal year 2015 numbers should be out within weeks. According to my source the numbers shall be approximately the same in 2015 as they were in 2014. Hope this helps
effectively 1% then ... wow!
Old 09-23-2015, 06:29 PM
Slantnose!
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default PTS...

Didn't know...well, isn't that cool?
Old 09-23-2015, 07:01 PM
mathfuzzy
Rennlist Member

Received 400 Likes on 134 Posts

I was able to tour the body prep and paint facility when we picked up our Club Coupe. Remarkably, Porsche arranged for a Club Coupe to be painted while we watched (remarkable because they had to figure out how to sync up the production process with our tour).

First, it was really cool to see the cars get painted. Before the robots painted Club Blau, I watched cars get painted black, white, red and carmine red. I'm not sure the exact order, but those cars all went through the process is pretty rapid succession. Then there was a fairly long pause - maybe 10 minutes - and then the next car was painted Club Blau.

I found the whole process fascinating and was able to talk with the person responsible for this part of the production process. He explained that they have capacity for - I think - 12 standard colors as part of normal production. In other words, the line continues smoothly as long as the cars are being painted in one of these 12 colors. But when a non-standard color is applied, there's extraordinary work to do to setup for that color.

Long story short, I walked away appreciating why a PTS color is a relatively expensive option and what it means to the production process. Small wonder that they don't accommodate a large number of PTS orders.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:05 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mathfuzzy
I was able to tour the body prep and paint facility when we picked up our Club Coupe. Remarkably, Porsche arranged for a Club Coupe to be painted while we watched (remarkable because they had to figure out how to sync up the production process with our tour).

First, it was really cool to see the cars get painted. Before the robots painted Club Blau, I watched cars get painted black, white, red and carmine red. I'm not sure the exact order, but those cars all went through the process is pretty rapid succession. Then there was a fairly long pause - maybe 10 minutes - and then the next car was painted Club Blau.

I found the whole process fascinating and was able to talk with the person responsible for this part of the production process. He explained that they have capacity for - I think - 12 standard colors as part of normal production. In other words, the line continues smoothly as long as the cars are being painted in one of these 12 colors. But when a non-standard color is applied, there's extraordinary work to do to setup for that color.

Long story short, I walked away appreciating why a PTS color is a relatively expensive option and what it means to the production process. Small wonder that they don't accommodate a large number of PTS orders.
that is SUPER cool that they did that!
Old 09-23-2015, 07:48 PM
mathfuzzy
Rennlist Member

Received 400 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
that is SUPER cool that they did that!
Absolutely! And after seeing a bunch of the production process, i'll never again bitch about the order having to be locked so far in advance of production. It's kind of remarkable how the whole thing works, and also seemingly incredibly complicated.
Old 09-24-2015, 04:24 AM
JUPJAI
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts

Mexico blue c2s at Pfaff Toronto
Old 09-24-2015, 09:41 AM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

May I ask what the big deal is about PTS specifically with respect to the aftermarket?

I get the appeal of PTS when building a new car - customize everything including color.

But when buying used, you're limited to such a small pool of cars, and of that pool, you may or may not like any of the colors chosen by previous owners, right?

I'm asking honestly, as I don't know why the OP wants a PTS car in particular and didn't specify any color preferences, I.e. What am I missing here?
Old 09-24-2015, 10:08 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,407 Likes on 2,514 Posts

Originally Posted by k997
May I ask what the big deal is about PTS specifically with respect to the aftermarket? I get the appeal of PTS when building a new car - customize everything including color. But when buying used, you're limited to such a small pool of cars, and of that pool, you may or may not like any of the colors chosen by previous owners, right? I'm asking honestly, as I don't know why the OP wants a PTS car in particular and didn't specify any color preferences, I.e. What am I missing here?
I'd say the answer is in Parnelli's post. A PTS car puts you in the 1% rare column.

Quick Reply: Looking for a Paint to Sample 991 2S or 4S