Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Doing a bra/wrap? What type, dealer or other? Installer?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 12:52 AM
Super_K
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Doing a bra/wrap? What type, dealer or other? Installer?

Took delivery of my new C4S today. I assume a clear bra is a good idea, but what type? Dealer or 3rd party, what brand, installer etc.?

My Seattle/Bellevue dealer offered a complete front for about $2200.. they had it on this sweet Turbo (below) on the showroom floor and you couldn't even tell it was wrapped. It looked great.

What do you guys think? I poked around a bit and searched the forum but didn't find what I was looking for.

Advice?

Old 09-12-2015, 01:23 AM
c_Gio
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have not wrapped. But my sense is folks prefer pros over dealers. Seems like the approach is search the best wrap manufacturers and come up w local installers.
Old 09-12-2015, 11:25 AM
oalvarez
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

That quote seems ridiculously expensive for just the front. The dealers typically sub the job out to installers, ask around (your town) and see what others are charging.
Old 09-12-2015, 11:51 AM
Super_K
Rennlist Member

Great thanks!
Old 09-12-2015, 12:04 PM
sandbar
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oalvarez
That quote seems ridiculously expensive for just the front. The dealers typically sub the job out to installers, ask around (your town) and see what others are charging.
^ This. Dealers (most) sub it out, huge mark up.
Old 09-12-2015, 12:05 PM
sandbar
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Call your dealer service guy and ask who they recommend in the area. That'll be who they sub it out to most likely.
Old 09-12-2015, 12:12 PM
mtgadbois
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Had mine done at the Dealer - it was subbed out. Price for 1/2 front was $995. He tossed it in for free. Mark - 2016 Club Coupe
Old 09-12-2015, 03:51 PM
justabout
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 212 Posts
Default What is considered to be "1/2" of the front?

Originally Posted by mtgadbois
Had mine done at the Dealer - it was subbed out. Price for 1/2 front was $995. He tossed it in for free. Mark - 2016 Club Coupe
Does this cover the front bumper then half hood and half fenders
Old 09-12-2015, 05:28 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 400 Posts

I had mine installed by the dealers sub contractor who does all their detail/tint/clear bra.

Complete front clip and mirrors for $1300
Old 09-12-2015, 07:26 PM
mtgadbois
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by justabout
Does this cover the front bumper then half hood and half fenders
Yes
Old 09-12-2015, 07:58 PM
Super_K
Rennlist Member

The one I saw on the Turbo pictured above was full hood, fenders and bumper plus mirror backs, concave are of the door handle assembly and door edging.
Old 09-16-2015, 11:14 AM
Right On Targa
7th Gear

I just had mine done from top to bottom. The only film to use is xpel film. It warrantees for 10 years, you can wash and wax it, and it self-heals it's dings in the sun. It is the best on the market by far

Last edited by Right On Targa; 09-16-2015 at 12:05 PM.
Old 09-16-2015, 01:27 PM
mikemdd
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Right On Targa
I just had mine done from top to bottom. The only film to use is xpel film. It warrantees for 10 years, you can wash and wax it, and it self-heals it's dings in the sun. It is the best on the market by far
+1. Xpel is the best. I had full hood, full front fenders, headlight cover, full bumper w/washers, mirrors, rockers, rear wheel splash protection, roof front, door edges, and A pillars. I got a deal by doing 2 60th Club Coupes (mine and a friend), but normal cost would have been just over $2K. The dealer quote was completely unrealistic for a fraction of what I had done. It looks GREAT.
Old 09-16-2015, 10:06 PM
Briby
Advanced

Add in another vote for xpel. They have a good network of installers that they stand behind & do work on some incredible cars. You'll be in good hands. Check out some of their work:

http://www.motoroso.com/XPEL
Old 09-16-2015, 10:17 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,322 Likes on 566 Posts

Another 4 votes for Xpel Ultimate film

Ask for references from various sources. Cars n Coffee is a great local resource around here. I've recommended our local installer to many people - all fully satisfied. He has done 3 of our cars. On the GT4 the guy who installed is the guy who the Porsche dealer uses exclusively (amongst other dealers as well).

The installer makes/breaks the job. We've paid closer to $1500-1800 for full front meaning full hood, mirrors and fenders, nose. Does not include doors, rocker panels - nothing behind A pillars except mirrors.

On the GT4 we did entire front plus A pillars, , leading edge of roof, rocker panels, leading edge of side air intakes and a slim section behind the rear tires. Entire job $2000 and you can barely tell it's wrapped. When done right it's invisible.

Make sure whomever does the job insists that the car sit for a min of 24 hours after the job is completed. It's critical for edges to sit down and glue to adhere. Once driven - dirt gets under any edge that lifts and it will probably never stay down. If (during drying) an edge comes up - they can still put it back down and add a bit of extra glue to those spots.

This situation happened on our lambo even after sitting for 24 hours. Our installer came and re-glued a couple spots and it was fine after that.

He did it in our garage - but I'd recommend either letting them do it in their shop (assuming it is pristine) or if you insist on your garage - make sure it's CLEAN. We vacuumed the ceiling, walls and floor. We don't have pets of kids but any airborn dirt, hair, or particle of any type can get on the car and under the film so you want a clean-room type environment if possible. If you have pets and they are ever in your garage I'd recommend NOT doing an install there.

Good luck

Quick Reply: Doing a bra/wrap? What type, dealer or other? Installer?