Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone with a 991 3.4L want to upgrade to a Power Kit GTS engine?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 09:35 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 591 Likes on 261 Posts
Default Anyone with a 991 3.4L want to upgrade to a Power Kit GTS engine?

I got an inquiry from someone on the west coast with a 991 3.4L with a bunch of mods. The car had become a bit of a project car but the owner wanted more power. We created a quote for $28K to take the 3.4L 991 from 350hp to 430hp. This car had all stock parts...some aftermarket mods would produce another 15hp or so.

If you have a 3.4L 991, have some money invested in the car and only want more power, we are going to open this up to Rennlist members that would be interested.

It would be a brand new 991 Power Kit GTS engine with a 2 year warranty.

The rest of the car's warranty is still in good standing. If you love the 7-spd in your car but need more power to hang with the GT3 crowd, maybe this is of interest to you.
Old 09-10-2015, 04:53 PM
ltdodge
Racer

Received 187 Likes on 79 Posts

that would be awesome!!!

folks for those who don't know BGB, they are a top notch shop in the Daytona area.

Your ride will be more than taken care of and they do exceptional work!
Old 09-10-2015, 05:10 PM
Sayyaaf
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I wish I was close to BGB.

Great offer John
Old 09-11-2015, 10:06 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Out of curiosity, how much would it be for an "S" owner to upgrade to a power kit motor, or how much would it cost to install the power kit internals and an after market intake to get to the same or more power level? Or are there aftermarket (high quality)parts (forged crank, pistons, con rods, etc) to take a 3.8 to a 450-500 hp level? Stroker, over bore, or just a higher revving 3.8.

Ps. Is your logo an elephat's ***/tail or a fat ladies hips and vagina? :-)
The following users liked this post:
Eric Morcus (01-16-2023)
Old 09-12-2015, 12:02 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by 008
Out of curiosity, how much would it be for an "S" owner to upgrade to a power kit motor, or how much would it cost to install the power kit internals and an after market intake to get to the same or more power level? Or are there aftermarket (high quality)parts (forged crank, pistons, con rods, etc) to take a 3.8 to a 450-500 hp level? Stroker, over bore, or just a higher revving 3.8.

ROFL
Old 09-12-2015, 12:09 AM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by 008

I imagine their rate structure looks something like this:

$150/hour for labor

$200/hour if you watch

$250/hour if you help

$500/hour if you compare the company logo to a fat lady's hips and vagina
The following users liked this post:
jk73 (05-25-2022)
Old 09-12-2015, 07:05 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
I imagine their rate structure looks something like this: $150/hour for labor $200/hour if you watch $250/hour if you help $500/hour if you compare the company logo to a fat lady's hips and vagina
Truth be told, our labor rate is $100 per hour; after reading your post you've inspired me to change something so it's now definitely now $250 per hour to watch!

008 gets a free $100 1 hour labor concession for being able to correctly identify our logo though.

NOW, if you can tell us what BGB stands for and what late 90s BMW inspired said logo, we will issue another $100 concession IF you want to do the conversion!

Originally Posted by 008
Out of curiosity, how much would it be for an "S" owner to upgrade to a power kit motor, or how much would it cost to install the power kit internals and an after market intake to get to the same or more power level? Or are there aftermarket (high quality)parts (forged crank, pistons, con rods, etc) to take a 3.8 to a 450-500 hp level? Stroker, over bore, or just a higher revving 3.8. Ps. Is your logo an elephat's ***/tail or a fat ladies hips and vagina? :-)
Since you already have the 3.8L motor we just need to order the Power Kit and install the cylinder heads, intake manifold, programming and air box. Under scenario A we are removing a 3.4L and installing a complete Power Kit engine from Porsche. It assumes we spend 21 hours labor removing and installing and 4 - 5 additional hours if we have to swap wiring harnesses or anything on the motor if you do/don't have PDCC, etc and that includes costs for new fluids like coolant, etc since the motor comes with oil in it. Since yesterday I have started shopping this to dealerships and i think I can do better than the original $28K number and get it down to closer to $25K and maybe a tiny bit further.

Under scenario B we charge the same 21 hours but need an additional 6 hours to remove and replace cylinder heads. The Power Kit itself retails for about $11K from Suncoast so we charge $10.5K. So the project for you since you already have the 3.8L motor is about $10Kish less than those that have the 3.4L.

As for options, headers, mufflers, better filters, a lightweight flywheel (that doesn't chatter) would put you closer to 460 crank and we could set the RPM to 8050 with no issues on longevity. We could go further, do a stroker conversion like the factory and use a 3.6L crank and put higher revving titanium internals in and probably pick up 15HP but bump torque by a solid 15 lb/ft but if you want something that is still stock that can handle unbelievable stress, we could create a package with a reasonable and reliable 450 - 460 number.

Our GTS 997.2 race cars made 410rwhp but didn't have near the torque of the 991 platform. These motors are grossly underestimated.

Last edited by BGB Motorsports; 09-12-2015 at 07:25 AM.
Old 09-12-2015, 08:14 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts
Default Anyone with a 991 3.4L want to upgrade to a Power Kit GTS engine?

I always love reading BGBs posts. Efficient, informative, well thought out. Thank you.

BGB=

Baby's
Got
Back

Ok, BGB quick question. I already have the PowerKit. When it comes time to pull the rear bumper, and do the engine air filters, would there be any benefits to use the +$300 OEM Porsche 997 GT3 RS filters? Ever so slight increase in power? Ever so slight intake sound/noise? Direct fit? Can they also do a 40,000 service stint?

Please send my $100 to Chuck991 for her 991-401K plan.

Gawd, I wish more indy shops charged $100 per.
Old 09-12-2015, 09:28 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,019 Likes on 612 Posts

Always enjoyable threads/
Old 09-12-2015, 10:47 AM
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

I would absolutely love to have 460 at the crank with a bullet proof bottom end and a redline above 8k! What about installing the 9A1 based GT3 motor?

I'm planning on keeping this car a while so in a few years, I'll likely be giving you a call.

I spent my youth in race shops in south Florida building race cars, I'm glad they never had your forethought to charge more with the customer helping/spectating!

As far as the logo, I just assumed it was Big Girls Blow Motorsport Group inspired by the 850 CSi.
Old 09-12-2015, 10:51 AM
sandbar
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nothing better than a good indy shop with good pricing and a loyal following! When my warranty expires, I know who I'm calling! Especially since I'm moving to Florida shortly.

Would love to see more technical threads here, so post up if you don't mind when you're doing these type of mods, love to follow along!
Old 09-24-2015, 11:53 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by LexVan
I always love reading BGBs posts. Efficient, informative, well thought out. Thank you.

BGB=

Baby's
Got
Back

Ok, BGB quick question. I already have the PowerKit. When it comes time to pull the rear bumper, and do the engine air filters, would there be any benefits to use the +$300 OEM Porsche 997 GT3 RS filters? Ever so slight increase in power? Ever so slight intake sound/noise? Direct fit? Can they also do a 40,000 service stint?

Please send my $100 to Chuck991 for her 991-401K plan.

Gawd, I wish more indy shops charged $100 per.
That's a good question. I do not know if they're a direct bolt-on, plug n play application. The single biggest frustration with that car is having to remove the bumper cover to change the filters. Anything higher flowing will breathe slightly better but what makes it a maintenance items is the opening in the bodywork that precedes the filter. If you go to a different decklid and larger intake design and still have mesh, then you're talking about only dirt and tiny leaves but it's not as bad on the 991 as it is on the Cayman with its side intake. I would think they would be able to handle a 30K stint and maybe a 40K stint if they're on the RS but sadly there is only 1 way to know. If you're replicating a factory setup, you should be fine though.
Old 09-24-2015, 01:34 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,250 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
That's a good question. I do not know if they're a direct bolt-on, plug n play application. The single biggest frustration with that car is having to remove the bumper cover to change the filters. Anything higher flowing will breathe slightly better but what makes it a maintenance items is the opening in the bodywork that precedes the filter. If you go to a different decklid and larger intake design and still have mesh, then you're talking about only dirt and tiny leaves but it's not as bad on the 991 as it is on the Cayman with its side intake. I would think they would be able to handle a 30K stint and maybe a 40K stint if they're on the RS but sadly there is only 1 way to know. If you're replicating a factory setup, you should be fine though.
+1 I have a pair of BMC filters for my car that I would like to install but I dont fancy a DIY bumper removal ....
Old 09-24-2015, 03:48 PM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

John (BGB), is it possible to get rid of the "de-tuning" of the base 3.4 engine in the 991? I really wanted the 3.4 over the 3.8 since it revved so much more freely when I tested both. I just don't like the idea that the 3.4 was a bit de-tuned. In theory, the car can produce about 390HP? Given the HP/L ratio of the S engine?

Is there anything one can do?

Just took delivery on my ordered 991 base for a DD car. A great car. So far not much fun since I have to take it slow.
Old 09-24-2015, 05:47 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 997s07
John (BGB), is it possible to get rid of the "de-tuning" of the base 3.4 engine in the 991? I really wanted the 3.4 over the 3.8 since it revved so much more freely when I tested both. I just don't like the idea that the 3.4 was a bit de-tuned. In theory, the car can produce about 390HP? Given the HP/L ratio of the S engine?

Is there anything one can do?

Just took delivery on my ordered 991 base for a DD car. A great car. So far not much fun since I have to take it slow.
That's the thing...that motor is already rather robust when you consider that you're making the same power and torque essentially as the previous 3.6L, but with less displacement. It's all made possible via the new tuning, revised cam shafts and their moving to a Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor for the engine management vs. the prior generation stuff that used a MAF sensor.

You would need some bolt-ons in the form of headers, filters, mufflers to juice it another 20 - 25hp. The addition of an ECU flash and lightweight flywheel would guarantee that you netted an additional 15 - 20. So, i think it's conceivable with all of those things to reach 375hp crank with the car, especially with full exhaust, flywheel and ECU. It already has the single most effective upgrade, the larger 82mm throttle body.

Quick Reply: Anyone with a 991 3.4L want to upgrade to a Power Kit GTS engine?