Sponsored by:

New Stable Member

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 05:11 PM
Jaws12
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 18 Posts
Default New Stable Member

While I have been thoroughly enjoying my GTS and can't say enough great things about it, I was still looking for a daily driver that wouldn't bore the pants off me.

I test drove a ton of cars (Panamera, BMW 650, Maserati Ghibli, C63s, Audi A7) but they all were somewhat boring.

Until I drove a 2016 M4!!! I had never even looked at the M4 because of all the chatter about the twin turbo design but I have to tell you guys, if the 991.2 is as good as the M4 driving experience, there should be no fears.

For the past 1.5 weeks I haven't even taken the GTS out. I love this M4. The low end grunt is addictive. I ordered my winter tire set so I'm very content with my garage.

People, don't trash the 991.2 because of the turbos, as it will be a wild ride and the performance will be more useable if the M4 is any barometer.
Old 09-09-2015, 05:45 PM
Bigalfromfl
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Congrats on the new ride!! Post up some pics of it!
Old 09-09-2015, 07:41 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,866 Likes on 1,902 Posts

I feel like that once in a while when I take my RS5 out. I start wishing my Porsche had that motor, the immediate power, the sound, etc. Then I drive it for a week or so, jump back in the Porsche and remember why the Porsche is such a great car. The balance, the chassis, the driving position, everything is just better in a Porsche IMO, save for the power.
Old 09-10-2015, 10:34 PM
Jaws12
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 18 Posts

I agree whole heartedly that nothing is as perfect as the Porsche, but the cars are quite different.

The M4 is much more of a GT car as compared to the GTS is a true sports car.

But the M4, for street driving and light to light on local roads and highway cruising, feels faster and more responsive because of the abundance of low end torque. It is also more amenity friendly with a better sound system and infotainment system.

As a daily driver, the M4 is a bit easier to live with.

The 991 GTS is a phenomenal machine and at a track, because of the handling and traction, it would be substantially faster. But on the street, unless using PDK in manual or Sportplus, the lack of low end make it feel much slower than the M4.
Old 09-11-2015, 02:11 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 163 Posts

Ohhh no. I don't know if I like this thread about the M4 being so much faster. My GTS is scheduled to land in another month and I was hoping it would not feel a lot slower than my M4
Jim
Attached Images  
Old 09-11-2015, 09:45 AM
midcont
Burning Brakes

Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

I checked out the m4 when it came out. Only a decent test drive but I did not like the steering feel at all. It felt very artificial and improperly (electronically) weighted. Love the look of them though and I'm sure the steering will improve with updates.
Old 09-11-2015, 05:04 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Congrats on the M4. I just replaced my Audi S4 with a new M235i, the cheaper, M-wannabe stepchild of your car. In general I like it a lot but I have to agree with the comment above. The electronic steering is pretty lousy. Over boosted, twitchy and devoid of any real feel. I was ok with it at first, during the test drive and such, but now that I have had it for a while it has come to really aggravate me. And since I jump back and forth between my 991S and the M235i it accentuates the BMW's shortfall even more. I can only hope for some future software update. But I'm not holding my breath.

Quick Reply: New Stable Member