Sponsored by:

991.2 driving dynamics and Dyno sheet

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 02:13 PM
FlyingFinn911
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 991.2 driving dynamics and Dyno sheet

Found this pancake flat Dyno sheet on the new Porsche website/PDF brochure online. It's pretty amazing the amount of torque available from 1700 rpm. I think this Carrera will be a much different driving experience than the current NA, I think it will feel like there is power available everywhere . However, I've always liked the character of the flat six NA with relatively low torque and its free revving nature to find power.

On the Turbo with all this torque I don't think you will need to wind out the motor as much as the current one especially on the street , and I think the PDK will match up even better. On the track the extra torque will be welcome and I think the low Ring time kind of shows that. I think the new cars will be great but a completely different experience than the current one. What do you guys think ?

Anybody out there have a Dyno of the 3.8 NA and or 3.8 NA with x51?
Attached Images  
Old 09-09-2015, 02:53 PM
one-rennlist
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can surely train yourselves to simultaneously brake and press the accelerator so as not loose boost in tight curves. Torque in these kind of diagrams is said to be measured with falling RPM so the turbos have more boost; not a real world scenario. The torque plateau also looks heavily restricted, possibly also depending on what gear you are in...
Old 09-09-2015, 11:16 PM
Don Leung
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plotted curves

I plotted the curves from brochures (and converted to English units from metric SI).

3.8 NA (naturally aspirated) vs 3.8 X51 vs 3.0 Turbo S
Attached Images   
Old 09-10-2015, 09:12 AM
FlyingFinn911
Instructor

Originally Posted by Don Leung
I plotted the curves from brochures (and converted to English units from metric SI).

3.8 NA (naturally aspirated) vs 3.8 X51 vs 3.0 Turbo S
Nicely done ! It's going to be a totally different driving experience . The climbing TQ of the NA vs the grunt of the turbo. Also, the NA has a few peaks and valleys which you can feel in the motor.
Old 09-13-2015, 05:49 PM
Dodaleca
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 46 Posts

This reminds of the current Ford F150 engine debate - the more racy sound of the 5.0L NA V8 versus the torque monster 3.5 Ecoboost V6.

From what I've read it seems that the Ford turbo engine uses as much (or more fuel) than the V8 when working hard, the rated V6 MPG advantage over the V8 is only noticeable when staying out of the boost.
Old 09-13-2015, 06:38 PM
FlyingFinn911
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dodaleca
This reminds of the current Ford F150 engine debate - the more racy sound of the 5.0L NA V8 versus the torque monster 3.5 Ecoboost V6.

From what I've read it seems that the Ford turbo engine uses as much (or more fuel) than the V8 when working hard, the rated V6 MPG advantage over the V8 is only noticeable when staying out of the boost.

I have a 3.6 ecoboost and indeed the mileage is not Improved unless u baby it , . It's a great truck for hauling my race trailer around . All that low end torque and grunt is like my old diesel but gas savings, not really

Quick Reply: 991.2 driving dynamics and Dyno sheet