Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 and the possibility of "Chipping".....

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 09:04 PM
ChoyV
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Yup, the B5 S4 time bombs. I cringe every time I see someone trying to sell an old one of those on Crackhead's List. Feel bad knowing some young kid who doesn't know any better is going to wind up buying it.
Yup, I had an APR chip in my old B5 S4. It was a great cheap upgrade. My friend bought it from me and he knew back then that it was chipped. 3 programs; valet mode, 93 octane and 96 octane. Unfortunately, the turbo didn't last long. Maybe the 15 years turbo advancement will help the longevity when you chipped it.

That is the reason why I took delivery (2 weeks ago) of a 2016 991.1 GTS in MT. The last NA 911.
Old 09-09-2015, 09:06 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts
Default 991.2 and the possibility of "Chipping".....

I think they're gonna sell well, because I think they're going to be decent performers and will attract some new buyers into the fold to replace some purists who don't care for the new cars. They're a step closer to the mainstream with this car and that will help it be successful.

I agree. I think they realize they need to broaden the appeal of the car, the only challenge is the price. These cars aren't cheap, which defaults a lot of people back to Mercedes and BMW.

I just wonder whether the next generation of owners will be as loyal as some of the current long time enthusiasts.
Old 09-09-2015, 09:28 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MKW
Audi dropped factory turbocharged S4s 10-15 yrs ago and switched to a hard to modify 4.2l NA V8s because resale values had tanked and many auction companies wouldn't touch them ( so dealers couldnt get rid of them) because something like 70 % of them had been " chipped " and then " dechipped " by the second or third owner . Buyers for used car lots at auctions didnt know which ones were potential " live granades " and starting avoiding all B5 S4s , which hurt their resale and therefore hurt potential sales of new ones in showrooms , esp with regard to lease residuals vs the BMW 3 series .

They are back to turbos now on the S4 but now have better ways to check for mods and the market has changed as the car has a much different type buyer these days anyway at its current 70K price point. The Toyoburu twins are today what the Audi B5 S4 was 20 years ago from a tuner stand point . Audi sales execs are thankful for that, I'm sure .

That is why some companies now have so many embedded scattered software " tell tales " to detect via the OBD II port which cars ( esp turbo ones ) have had their ECUs currently or previously modded when brought in for warranty engine/drivetrain maladies .

So it isnt just potential OEM warranty repair costs but also resale reputation ..this is the first time in its 50 yr hx the base 911 has the potential with a " cheap software tune only " to crank out more straight road acceleration than a factory S or Powerkitted S / GTS model esp among owners who could care less of the longer term premature wear from lack of associated bulked up thermal mgmt .....they figure that is a problem to kick down the road to the next owner!

makes buying a used base/ S 991.2 later a bit dicey if you ask me ...esp if aftermarket tuners come out with claimed " untraceable " removable software with claimed 70+ hp bumps over stock, even 100+ hp more for the 20 second overboost button !
Audi resale value has very little to do with "Turbo" and much more to do with the fact that they are the worst built cars ever. (B5/B6/B7) they can all go up in a dumpster fire. Quite literally the worst engineered cars of all times followed by the 928 and E90 BMW.

I have had a number of turbo cars and pretty much zero problems. My current daily is a 12second Volvo with a Tune and stock internals just rolled 370,000mi. I guess its all doom and gloom!
Old 09-09-2015, 10:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

I've liked some turbo cars I've had notably a 95 supra in high school that was modded to about 500hp, but generally prefer NA characteristics. I was somewhat optimistic about the new car but after driving the T6 Cayenne S loaner I was given, I've lost all hope of a decent outcome. What a POS; turbo lag, lazy throttle, top end anemia, etc. but I guess you can now part share with your 911, and macan wagon should a road warrior future descend upon us.
Old 09-09-2015, 10:22 PM
O5C4R
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

so the 991.2 GTS could be just a wide body version of a base C2 with a different tune
Old 09-09-2015, 10:23 PM
O5C4R
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by STG991
I agree. I think they realize they need to broaden the appeal of the car, the only challenge is the price. These cars aren't cheap, which defaults a lot of people back to Mercedes and BMW.

I just wonder whether the next generation of owners will be as loyal as some of the current long time enthusiasts.
I agree, who will be the first to put a meth tank in a 991.2
Old 09-09-2015, 11:06 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,867 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Fishey
Audi resale value has very little to do with "Turbo" and much more to do with the fact that they are the worst built cars ever. (B5/B6/B7) they can all go up in a dumpster fire. Quite literally the worst engineered cars of all times
Totally disagree. The **** show that was the B5 had everything to do with the turbos, specifically the mods people did that caused them to detonate. The B6 S4 was a huge step forward and a much better car in every way. I put 70,000 trouble free miles on mine and loved it. I wouldn't touch a B5 S4 with a 10 foot pole, but I'd buy a low mileage B6 in a heartbeat. Problem is you can't find them, as most people drove the heck out of them.
Old 09-09-2015, 11:09 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,867 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by STG991

Porsche doesn't really care I'm sure, just like BMW didn't when they went Bangle. They successfully navigated the transition and grew the company as a result, with design changes that were way more radical. I expect Porsche will do the same.
Old 09-09-2015, 11:28 PM
Arcoril
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Audi resale value has very little to do with "Turbo" and much more to do with the fact that they are the worst built cars ever. (B5/B6/B7) they can all go up in a dumpster fire. Quite literally the worst engineered cars of all times followed by the 928 and E90 BMW.
Anecdotally, a friend of mine bought a brand new B8 A4 2.0T back in 2009 and it burned oil like crazy to the tune of about 1 quart every 850 miles or so. And to make things worse, Audi insisted that this was completely normal and refused to do anything about it. The oil burning was so bad that the cats got completely fouled and ended up needing to be replaced at 30k miles after throwing all sorts of codes.

It left such a bad taste in his mouth that he ditched the car as soon as he could and vowed to never get another Audi. The oil burning wasn't an isolated incident, either. Audi ended up settling on a class action suit on the 2.0T oil burning issue but only after a long, drawn-out fight.
Old 09-10-2015, 08:42 AM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Totally disagree. The **** show that was the B5 had everything to do with the turbos, specifically the mods people did that caused them to detonate. The B6 S4 was a huge step forward and a much better car in every way. I put 70,000 trouble free miles on mine and loved it. I wouldn't touch a B5 S4 with a 10 foot pole, but I'd buy a low mileage B6 in a heartbeat. Problem is you can't find them, as most people drove the heck out of them.
Enjoy that $8,000 timing chain job. Most B6 V8 cars are in the dumpster and the used ones you can pick up for less then dirt cheap. B5's have a much higher resale value then the B6 because of this reason.
Old 09-10-2015, 09:55 AM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Arcoril
Anecdotally, a friend of mine bought a brand new B8 A4 2.0T back in 2009 and it burned oil like crazy to the tune of about 1 quart every 850 miles or so. And to make things worse, Audi insisted that this was completely normal and refused to do anything about it. The oil burning was so bad that the cats got completely fouled and ended up needing to be replaced at 30k miles after throwing all sorts of codes.

It left such a bad taste in his mouth that he ditched the car as soon as he could and vowed to never get another Audi. The oil burning wasn't an isolated incident, either. Audi ended up settling on a class action suit on the 2.0T oil burning issue but only after a long, drawn-out fight.
The oil burning issue was resolved around the 2012 model year. My wife has a 2015 A4 that uses no oil and has been absolutely perfect. Great car. Audi is not the only manufacturer to have oil burning issues, just ask some 911 owners.

Last edited by GSIRM3; 09-10-2015 at 03:18 PM.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:37 AM
chows4us
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The whole DMCA thing is an absolute joke.

I think if we get to the point that you can't change the software because its somehow "Copyright" its all over with repercussions far more vast then the automotive industry.
Like I said "I think sometime auto enthusiasts live in some closed world thinking whatever happened in some other car or in years past will also happen tomorrow. ... the argument is tampering with safety items is a bad idea, in the end, public safety will prevail."

It has nothing to do with copyright of the IP but tampering with protected IP, particularly when safety related. If an Exclusion is granted, life will continue as is. If not, then things might change.
Old 09-10-2015, 12:02 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts
Default 991.2 and the possibility of "Chipping".....

A Flat 8 would have been a blast!

http://jalopnik.com/porsche-consider...0The%2520991.2

Old 09-10-2015, 02:24 PM
cloud9blue
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
Chip away! Just be sure you are OK with kissing your engine and drivetrain warranty goodbye on a new $ 100K car. And save some money for blown head gaskets, melted pistons, burnt valves, bricked ECU's, etc. Hey, its not cheap or easy being on the cutting edge and an early adopter...ya know?
You obviously have no idea how to properly tune a car...

Factory turbo cars leave a lot of headrooms for emission. For a 3.0L displacement flat-6 engine with two turbocharger, the factory output is very conservative even when you are just using crappy 91 octane fuel. With 93, the stock hardware can make 450whp easily. Just have a look how much power BMW M4 can makes with just a tune.
Old 09-10-2015, 02:26 PM
cloud9blue
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by 008
I've liked some turbo cars I've had notably a 95 supra in high school that was modded to about 500hp, but generally prefer NA characteristics. I was somewhat optimistic about the new car but after driving the T6 Cayenne S loaner I was given, I've lost all hope of a decent outcome. What a POS; turbo lag, lazy throttle, top end anemia, etc. but I guess you can now part share with your 911, and macan wagon should a road warrior future descend upon us.
The Macan Turbo is not bad at all, for a +4000lb SUV. PDK and a lighter chassis makes all the difference IMO, comparing to the traditional auto box on tha Cayenne. And any car with PDK (doesnt matter if it is a +4000lb Macan or Panamera or a 3000lb GT3), you really need to drive them in the manual mode to enjoy them, instead of letting the transmission to shift by themselves.

Quick Reply: 991.2 and the possibility of "Chipping".....