Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How will the 991.2 update effect used 991.1 prices?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 08:38 PM
aspriggsdds
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How will the 991.2 update effect used 991.1 prices?

One of the salesmen at my local Porsche dealership insists that the value of the 991.1 won't be effected by the 991.2. He's even mentioned the possibility that they will increase in value due to not being able to get the NA motor in the Carrera anymore. Personally, I think he's just trying to sell me a car.

What do you all think? Is it worth waiting a few months to start shopping for a 991.1? How did the 997.1 fair once the 997.2 hit the showrooms?
Old 09-08-2015, 08:52 PM
LCW
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Natural evolution of things.... It will depreciate! It's a car... Maybe one day it will be a classic, but for now it will depreciate faster because of the new model. The enthusiasts in here will tell you how they love the NA engine, etc... But there is only a limited number of enthusiasts and they all have a 991 already. So there is no incremental buyer that is going to hold up the values and to the average buyer the 991.1 is the "old" model.... Just my thought...
Old 09-08-2015, 09:26 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Seeing as its a new block with potentially no IMS problem and possibly a stronger infrastructure. It may seriously plummet the values of the current 991.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:37 PM
ezdriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with LCW. New model generally means downward pressure on prices on previous models. That said, Porsche is very good at managing the evolution of the 911. If I had a 991.1 and enjoying it, I likely won't chase a 991.2 and that would be especially true if not already ready to move to turbo-boosted technology. Personally, I'm a N/A guy but I love and respect the TT. I had one pull up to the light next to me last night and floored it at the green light. I had mine in sport mode. We were right next to each other for a couple of blocks and I have to say ... I really did not like the "whine" or "whistle" sound of the TT's exhaust notes and turbocharger. Maybe the new TTs will sound differently.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:43 PM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Received 4,378 Likes on 1,537 Posts

OMG, its going to slash the 991.1 prices for a several reasons.

1) It has two TURBOS. What Porsche guy doesn't want a twin turbo back there?
2) The Boxster and Cayman won't have it.
3) The new Infotainment center alone is a big deal for techies
4) It has more power
5) The 991 is mass-produced, its not a rare car.

Now, in 30 years, yes - the 991.1 with a manual trans may well appreciate over the 25-year-old 991.2. Last of the Naturally Aspirated cars. Maybe. But in 30 years the only thing I'll be in is a coffin, so I don't much care....
Old 09-08-2015, 09:52 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,037 Likes on 617 Posts

I dunno, as an enthusiast, I see a ton of potential in a Turbo car. I mean the tuning potential will be much higher for a lot less money. You will very likely see 700+ Horsepower Bolt on 911 C2S's in 2-3 years. Also that 4WS, and updated bits and pieces like the navi unit etc it's very appealing.

I bought my 991 C2S used with a 7MT for more than 40k below the original sticker. I could never afford a 120K+ car, so as much as the new car seems tempting, it's just not in my financial cards.

Also who really cares if it holds it's resale value, especially if you bought one used. It's a car and 99% of time, it's a huge depreciating asset. We buys these cars to enjoy them and not think about resale I guess the topic is fun to chat about on the Internet.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:56 PM
aspriggsdds
Advanced

The resale value isn't really what concerns me. I'm more interested in how much I pay for it. If waiting until the 991.2s are on sale means I could save a good chunk of change on a 991.1, then it would be worth it to hold off buying one now.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:59 PM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Received 4,378 Likes on 1,537 Posts

It's a car and 99% of time, it's a huge depreciating asset.

Ferrari 599, at the bottom of the depreciation curve or close to it. Get yours now, they are not making front-engined V12's any more once the F12 and FF series is done. All will be Turbo V8's
Old 09-08-2015, 09:59 PM
Yard Dog
Instructor

Originally Posted by aspriggsdds
One of the salesmen at my local Porsche dealership insists that the value of the 991.1 won't be effected by the 991.2. He's even mentioned the possibility that they will increase in value due to not being able to get the NA motor in the Carrera anymore. Personally, I think he's just trying to sell me a car.

What do you all think? Is it worth waiting a few months to start shopping for a 991.1? How did the 997.1 fair once the 997.2 hit the showrooms?
Do you really think one of the salesmen at your local Porsche dealership is trying to sell you a car?
Old 09-08-2015, 10:01 PM
aspriggsdds
Advanced

Originally Posted by Yard Dog
Do you really think one of the salesmen at your local Porsche dealership is trying to sell you a car?
I know! It's hard to believe!
Old 09-08-2015, 10:09 PM
LCW
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When you were a kid and dreaming of one day to drive a 911, were you obsessing over depreciation curves? No matter if you buy a used one or a new one, it is an insane amount of money to be spending for a mode of transportation which most of the time is going to be sitting in traffic next to Kias and Hiundays...in my mind, you buy one of these cars because it gives you pleasure and it marks an achievement in your life... Just buy WHAT you want and can afford, WHEN you want and enjoy.... You only live once.... Just my 2 cents...
Old 09-08-2015, 10:21 PM
Sharm
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts
Default How will the 991.2 update effect used 991.1 prices?

Originally Posted by LCW
When you were a kid and dreaming of one day to drive a 911, were you obsessing over depreciation curves? No matter if you buy a used one or a new one, it is an insane amount of money to be spending for a mode of transportation which most of the time is going to be sitting in traffic next to Kias and Hiundays...in my mind, you buy one of these cars because it gives you pleasure and it marks an achievement in your life... Just buy WHAT you want and can afford, WHEN you want and enjoy.... You only live once.... Just my 2 cents...
Agreed. Almost every car, whether you buy it new or used, is going to depreciate. Like many have said, its a toy. Buy it for the excitement/prestige/"I've arrived" feeling-whatever floats your boat, but buy it for the right reason. In your case, if you want to wait until 991.2 to buy 991.1 because it's more affordable for you and you'll be happy to have the NA model (and you have the patience to wait 5-6 months) go for it.
Old 09-08-2015, 10:29 PM
clembo
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
It's a car and 99% of time, it's a huge depreciating asset.

Ferrari 599, at the bottom of the depreciation curve or close to it. Get yours now, they are not making front-engined V12's any more once the F12 and FF series is done. All will be Turbo V8's

I agree with Doc. All of these toys are going to drop, drive it and enjoy it.

Doc - Good call on the 599, I bought one a few months ago. Absolute crazy fun. Perfect compliment to the 991, very different cars, very different driving experiences.

Old 09-08-2015, 11:39 PM
mdkrp
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by clembo
I agree with Doc. All of these toys are going to drop, drive it and enjoy it.

Doc - Good call on the 599, I bought one a few months ago. Absolute crazy fun. Perfect compliment to the 991, very different cars, very different driving experiences.

nice pair!
Old 09-08-2015, 11:40 PM
mdkrp
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by LCW
Natural evolution of things.... It will depreciate! It's a car... Maybe one day it will be a classic, but for now it will depreciate faster because of the new model. The enthusiasts in here will tell you how they love the NA engine, etc... But there is only a limited number of enthusiasts and they all have a 991 already. So there is no incremental buyer that is going to hold up the values and to the average buyer the 991.1 is the "old" model.... Just my thought...
+1

Quick Reply: How will the 991.2 update effect used 991.1 prices?