Sponsored by:

GTS v S depreciation and GTS questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2015 | 10:37 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
No, please no.

We do not want another one of these in the wild.

For the full story see here: https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...gt3-build.html
Thanks for everyone's comments.
Ipse dixit, don't worry, I won't go create a frankencar GT3 without a wing.

I understand the wing is there for a purpose, and it flows fairly well with the lines of the car, (much better than the RS), but the GT3 wing is such a compromise between form and function, that I would rather just have a less obtrusive wing like on a turbo, or go all out like the RS wing, because you don't get that much extra downforce with the GT3 wing (compared to RS which has serious downforce), but you still get a boy racer look, and half of your rear window view obstructed.

sccchi, I'm sorry I'll be sending my GT3 to another home. I had thought to keep her for many years when I ordered her. I have many issues with the GT3 besides the wing as I listed above, in particular the centerlocks.
I still love the GT3, but there is one other car within financial reach that tempts me, and that is a 458, which I test drove yesterday. The sound of the Ferrari wail is just a lot better than the GT3 sound, as the GT3 is good, but not great to my ears. The low end push of an extra 74 ft lbs of torque in the 458 was quite noticeable at all RPMs not just above 5,000 as in my GT3.
And I think the GT3 looks smashing, but a 458 is just gorgeous to my eyes and likely a keeper as Ferrari is going down the turbo path just like all the other car companies.

A 911 daily driver/track car and a 458 Spider for weekend fun and special occasions is a combo I could be satisfied with for many years. I'll have to be as I have no interest in turbos.

I went and looked at a dozen 991 911 C2Ss and a couple 911 GTSs on dealer lots today. (It was so nice to take my time looking at things without the salespeople pestering me)
I'm not too keen on 90% of the GTS specific styling touches. I think some of them would look good with certain colors, like the black headlights (which I have on my guards red GT3), but I plan to spec a black 911 as my "under the radar" daily driver, however with that base black car color all the automatic black GTS differences don't look good to my eyes. I looked at black GTS today and I didn't like the black GTS rear lettering, the black headlights on a black car, black exhaust on a black car, and I don't like the GTS engine air intake design in any color compared to the regular 911. I also prefer the narrower body of the C2S, as I still wish the 991 was smaller, (the size of the 997).

So depreciation be damned, it looks like I'll be getting a 911S. I didn't really need a GTS for a daily, when I can play with a 458 on the weekends.

I still haven't totally lost my GT3 love. We'll see how I do without her for a while, as I'm still #2 on my dealers list for 991.2 GT3.

Last edited by Drifting; 09-06-2015 at 10:45 PM. Reason: .
Old 09-06-2015 | 10:40 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Good for you.

Enjoy the new ride.

Don't be a stranger around the GT3 forums, and post pics of both the C2S and 458.
Old 09-06-2015 | 10:47 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Good for you.

Enjoy the new ride.

Don't be a stranger around the GT3 forums, and post pics of both the C2S and 458.
Will do both. I have really enjoyed spending time on the GT3 forum, and I'll still follow it.

Thanks
Old 09-06-2015 | 11:39 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Drifting
Will do both. I have really enjoyed spending time on the GT3 forum, and I'll still follow it.

Thanks
Can't fault buying a 458, I enjoy my 458 very much. GOD SPEED!

Quick Reply: GTS v S depreciation and GTS questions