Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No turbo engines for 911 GTS and GT3 | Autocar

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2015 | 02:25 PM
STG
Race Director

Default No turbo engines for 911 GTS and GT3 | Autocar

He has said in separate interviews that the GT cars will remain NA in the near future. I'd have to find the article. He kind of distanced himself from the turbo engines and that they aren't as desirable as NA's (obviously!) We will have choices!

"GT3s are normally aspirated - period, said Preuninger."

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/ne...he-911-gt-cars
Old 08-24-2015 | 02:31 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by STG991
He has said in separate interviews that the GT cars will remain NA in the near future. I'd have to find the article. He kind of distanced himself from the turbo engines and that they aren't as desirable as NA's (obviously!)

I totally agree, I just dont see how he is going to add bhp beyond the 4.0L/500bhp they have today...
Old 08-24-2015 | 02:37 PM
STG
Race Director

We've all covered this material months ago in older posts. Just rehashing again.

Like NA? There will be options in the near future with the GT cars. The direction I would take. Let the turbo zippers have their fun.
Old 08-24-2015 | 02:44 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

We've all covered this material months ago in older posts. Just rehashing again.

Like NA? There will be options in the near future with the GT cars. The direction I would take. Let the turbo zippers have their fun.
+1
Old 08-24-2015 | 02:53 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
+1
So back to square one. Like your NA GTS's, get one now! Before they're going, going, gone!
Old 08-24-2015 | 03:11 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

I think a re-reading of the articles is needed here, what they state is that effectively the 991.1 GTS will not receive a turbo engine (i.e it will not be
included the facelift launch) So while the 991.1 GTS and GT3 remain in
production they will not receive any engine upgrades...

It does *not* in my opinion state anything about future facelift models, in fact I'd argue that when a 991.2 facelift GTS does appear it will have the turbo engine, *and* it will have the performance tune referred to in the article, as have all previous 911 GTS models.

As to what happens with the GT3, who knows ... the RS had to go to a 4.0L to obtain the additional (claimed) 15bhp how they will get more from a 3.8 or 4.0 NA seems unclear to me unless they adopt an even larger displacement as the
aftermarket tuners have such as Manthey and Sharkwerks.

In short, if you want an N.A car, get one now ... its highly unlikely that the 'next' GTS in particular will be such.
+1
Old 08-24-2015 | 03:58 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

He has said in separate interviews that the GT cars will remain NA in the near future. I'd have to find the article. He kind of distanced himself from the turbo engines and that they aren't as desirable as NA's (obviously!) We will have choices!

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/ne...he-911-gt-cars
Also, flappy paddles are for grandmas, we're told.
Old 08-24-2015 | 04:32 PM
BJK
Advanced

What happens when the turbo'd Carrera S is faster than a GT3?
Old 08-24-2015 | 04:38 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by BJK
What happens when the turbo'd Carrera S is faster than a GT3?
The new 991.2 turbo'd Carrera S isn't going to be faster than the current GT3. We know that already.

The future GT's will get faster and lighter. Who knows what they will do with future NA engines. Regardless, an NA engine is more than about speed. It's the driving experience as well.

I'm exhausted with the NA vs. Turbo debate at this point.
Old 08-24-2015 | 05:09 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

The new 991.2 turbo'd Carrera S isn't going to be faster than the current GT3. We know that already.

The future GT's will get faster and lighter. Who knows what they will do with future NA engines. Regardless, an NA engine is more than about speed. It's the driving experience as well.

+1
Old 08-24-2015 | 08:07 PM
BJK
Advanced

Not at all meaning to further a debate - if anything, I have skin in the NA camp having just placed an order for a GTS.

It was more a rhetorical question to highlight the issues created when we put together all the things we "know". We know GT cars will remain NA. We know the 911's performance gets better with every iteration. We know that Porsche adheres to a performance hierarchy within models. We know they are pretty close to the power ceilings on NA engines. We know that turbo'd engines have higher power potential.

Looking at all of these things as a whole, some of the things we know start to contradict the other things we know. Where we end up is anybody's guess.

In this information micro-economy, we are the price-takers.
Old 08-24-2015 | 08:21 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BJK
Not at all meaning to further a debate - if anything, I have skin in the NA camp having just placed an order for a GTS.

It was more a rhetorical question to highlight the issues created when we put together all the things we "know". We know GT cars will remain NA. We know the 911's performance gets better with every iteration. We know that Porsche adheres to a performance hierarchy within models. We know they are pretty close to the power ceilings on NA engines. We know that turbo'd engines have higher power potential.

Looking at all of these things as a whole, some of the things we know start to contradict the other things we know. Where we end up is anybody's guess.

In this information micro-economy, we are the price-takers.
The GTS is not a GT car ...
Old 08-24-2015 | 08:30 PM
BJK
Advanced

The GTS is not a GT car ...
Of course not! Then I would have said I have skin in the GT camp

That said, I would love to have a GT3 on order - if they were offered in MT. But that is a different debate, as we all know!
Old 08-24-2015 | 08:33 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BJK
Of course not! Then I would have said I have skin in the GT camp

That said, I would love to have a GT3 on order - if they were offered in MT. But that is a different debate, as we all know!
I wonder if AP regrets the decision to exclude a manual on the 991?

If the GT4 is an indicator, we could see a 911 "GT" variant with a manual box emerge in the future ... maybe a GT3 (but then there is the issue that it could be slower than the current PDK car) or maybe a new (Cayman) 'R'-like model

only time will tell...
Old 08-24-2015 | 08:47 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

I wonder if AP regrets the decision to exclude a manual on the 991?

If the GT4 is an indicator, we could see a 911 "GT" variant with a manual box emerge in the future ... maybe a GT3 (but then there is the issue that it could be slower than the current PDK car) or maybe a new (Cayman) 'R'-like model

only time will tell...
I'm sure that the calculating is most likely being done by some computer algorithm as to not cross any borders between models.
I also read that the gt cars will be getting a whole different motor someplace recently. If I come across it again. I will post it up.

Quick Reply: No turbo engines for 911 GTS and GT3 | Autocar